Will dropping to 150 net carbs a day help with fat loss?

Options
Advice needed. I restarted MFP seriously about a month ago. I have eaten within my calories (which are kinda high, set to lose .5lbs a week, 2030 calories) every day, I started working out, I cut out fast food, diet soda, and I just generally eat pretty healthy. The first few weeks, before I started exercising, I lost like 11 pounds. ...but then once I started working out, I stopped losing. I even gained. I was told that the exercises I was doing were causing water retention, and I was gaining muscle faster than I was losing fat. I run, lift, walk, box, and use an elliptical. Now, let me also state that even though the scale isn't my friend, I am getting in better shape for sure. I'm in better shape now (I think) than when I was 20lbs lighter about a year ago. That being said, I want to be losing fat, not just gaining muscle. I've done some research and it seems like going low(ish) carbs might help. I've done the full on low carb thing before, and it wasn't sustainable for me, even though it did show me some results. I'm trying to be patient and let my body adjust to the new exercise routine, etc, but I'm working really hard, and I want it to show. I was thinking 150 net carbs a day (I eat A LOT of fiber). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Replies

• missff
    missff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Interesting post!
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info Jenna - that's really helpful.
  • pink_ribbon_1
    pink_ribbon_1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    AS PER MARKS DAILY APPLE ( PAleo site.... I assume this would have somewhat same guidelines for a SAD diet) not sure...

■0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.
    ■50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.
    ■100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.
    ■150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.
    ■300+ grams a day: Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#ixzz2KF9TmtUT

I usually have mine from 70 -100g a day and slowly losing

Probably a silly question, but are the carb totals suggested above _excluding_ fiber (so, net carbs) or _including_ fiber?

Thank you - this is interesting stuff.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    AS PER MARKS DAILY APPLE ( PAleo site.... I assume this would have somewhat same guidelines for a SAD diet) not sure...

■0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.
    ■50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.
    ■100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.
    ■150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.
    ■300+ grams a day: Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#ixzz2KF9TmtUT

Probably a silly question, but are the carb totals suggested above _excluding_ fiber (so, net carbs) or _including_ fiber?

no not excluding fibre, all carbs from everything :)
  • pink_ribbon_1
    pink_ribbon_1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

no not excluding fibre, all carbs from everything :)

Thank you for the quick response! Good to know!
  • jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Decreasing your calories is what will make you lose weight; those calories can be from protein, fat, or carbs. However, proteins and fats are essential to survival so you do not want to cut those too much. Shoot for about .8 grams of protein and .3-.4 grams of fat for every pound of lean body weight....then just fill the rest in with carbs. When you need to drop some more calories you can just drop your carbs a little bit while leaving need fats and proteins as high as possible.
  • happy_travels
    happy_travels Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine what eating 300g of carbs a day would be like. When left to my own devices I average 150. But 300?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options

bullcrap. I eat 150-200 a day and have lost 30+ pounds.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

bullcrap. I eat 150-200 a day and have lost 30+ pounds.

Depends on how active you are as well, and how insulin sensitive your body is. A lot of variables but a general guideline for the general population.
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff!
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I generally like this with a caveat. If you do long distance cardio- biking or cardio for more than an hour- then you need more sugar (glucose) during the cardio. I found 100 grams of carbs during days of lower cardio work for me. However, on long cardio days, my eat about 100 plus the carbs during the cardio.

• Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    MFP has my carbs set at 228!?! I've not had any problem hitting that number either :grumble:

I don't even know where to start on cutting down to 100 carbs a day. I'm already over that & I haven't even had dinner. No wonder I don't lose weight :huh:

*depressed now*
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    i see that i dont have to explain anything since its already done :D
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    MFP has my carbs set at 228!?! I've not had any problem hitting that number either :grumble:

I don't even know where to start on cutting down to 100 carbs a day. I'm already over that & I haven't even had dinner. No wonder I don't lose weight :huh:

*depressed now*

if your carb calories are coming from whole foods and whole grains, then you might not have the same kind of trouble losing weight as you might from simple carbs and sugars.
  • DjangoAndDeadlifts
    Options
    Eating low carb may help with satiety, as well as improve fasting plasma glucose and insulin levels, cholesterol levels, blood triglycerides, preserve muscle mass during weight loss, and other health markers.

But calorie for calorie weight loss, it won't have an appreciable affect.

http://examine.com/faq/are-there-health-benefits-of-a-low-carb-diet.html
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options

*depressed now*

If you want, feel free to add me to take a peek at my diary. I have my carbs set to 94g and since I started tracking again a couple of weeks ago, I've only gone over that once. I still eat veggies, fruit, dairy, and grains on occasion.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Advice needed. I restarted MFP seriously about a month ago. I have eaten within my calories (which are kinda high, set to lose .5lbs a week, 2030 calories) every day, I started working out, I cut out fast food, diet soda, and I just generally eat pretty healthy. The first few weeks, before I started exercising, I lost like 11 pounds. ...but then once I started working out, I stopped losing. I even gained. I was told that the exercises I was doing were causing water retention, and I was gaining muscle faster than I was losing fat. I run, lift, walk, box, and use an elliptical. Now, let me also state that even though the scale isn't my friend, I am getting in better shape for sure. I'm in better shape now (I think) than when I was 20lbs lighter about a year ago. That being said, I want to be losing fat, not just gaining muscle. I've done some research and it seems like going low(ish) carbs might help. I've done the full on low carb thing before, and it wasn't sustainable for me, even though it did show me some results. I'm trying to be patient and let my body adjust to the new exercise routine, etc, but I'm working really hard, and I want it to show. I was thinking 150 net carbs a day (I eat A LOT of fiber). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Holding protein and calories constant, the answer is no. Don't listen to the nonsense from Mark's Daily Apple
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I love Mark Sisson (nohomo). He's a great guy.

Bt his carb curve is crap. Unless you're diabetic, carbs are fine, so long as you can fit it into your calories for the day after ensuring you've got enough protein and fat.

Unless 150g is over your caloric intake after fat and protein has been met, no, lowering carbs will or benefit you whatsoever in fat
    loss.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Holding protein and calories constant, the answer is no. Don't listen to the nonsense from Mark's Daily Apple

Why? Honest question! Just reading the thread and am curious
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Are you also going no to low protein to really minimize insulin production?