Best Instant Oatmeal - Please Help

Options
I usually like to stick to instant Oatmeal in the morning but trying to be healthy and keep my weight down..
Which brand out there is the best ?? Which store do you get it at ??
I know it should have whole grains, less sugar, and good fiber .. Just don't know which to get..
Are these 4 the most popular and if so which one would you go for ?

Quaker Instant Oatmeal Original
Quaker Instant Oatmeal Lower Sugar
Quaker Instant Oatmeal Weight Control
Quaker Instant Oatmeal High Fiber

Better Idea or Opinions for Oatmeal?? Please let me know

Thanks,
Dx

Replies

• SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well if I had to say the fiber one, lets face it fiber makes you spend more time in the bathroom sorry graphic ...so you lose wieght because of it and it helps keep you full longer.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think whole grain oatmeal is a better choice, less processed, no sugar and then add what you want to it. I like to add ground flax seed, vanilla protein powder and then to top it with low sugar yogurt and fruit. The added protein helps slow its digestion to keep you full longer and avoid a blood sugar spike.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Bump - In case anybody missed it..
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    KISS - Just go with the plain oatmeal.
  • KittenTikka
    Options
    Plain oatmeal can be prepared very quickly - I pour kettle-boiled water over mine, leave to soak for a minute, then stir in a small amount of soya milk and top with fruit. Delish!
  • tweety612013
    Options
    I like your oatmeal ideas and it your weight loss shows that it must work. Congrats on the 42 lb weight loss. How long did it take you to lose that?
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like your oatmeal ideas and it your weight loss shows that it must work. Congrats on the 42 lb weight loss. How long did it take you to lose that?

Thanks! It's taken me a year, I lose very slowly but pretty consistently.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

If I remember correctly in my shopping and oatmeal-selecting, I did not choose the weight control one because it actually has more calories and sugar than the lower sugar one.

I always buy the Quaker - lower sugar. My only thing about it is it only comes in 3 of the quaker flavors (Apple Cinnamon, Maple Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Spice). I don't mind those but a few other options might be nice. I throw some pomegranate arils in most days, or any other fruit will work too, I've done blueberries also.

The Quaker Lower Sugar is 110 calories/packet for the Aplle Cinnamon and 120/packet for the other two.
    (The store brand versions of the Lower Sugar one usually have more calories by 10 to 20 per pack, so watch out for that)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the instant oatmeal but I use Quaker Quick Oats - equal part of oats and water and I think about 3 minutes in the microwave and you're good to go. I usually add some raisins, sometimes some chopped walnuts, and some Splenda brown sugar.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options

If I remember correctly in my shopping and oatmeal-selecting, I did not choose the weight control one because it actually has more calories and sugar than the lower sugar one.

I always buy the Quaker - lower sugar. My only thing about it is it only comes in 3 of the quaker flavors (Apple Cinnamon, Maple Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Spice). I don't mind those but a few other options might be nice. I throw some pomegranate arils in most days, or any other fruit will work too, I've done blueberries also.

The Quaker Lower Sugar is 110 calories/packet for the Aplle Cinnamon and 120/packet for the other two.
    (The store brand versions of the Lower Sugar one usually have more calories by 10 to 20 per pack, so watch out for that)

Same here. Always the Lower Sugar. If you read the labels, that's the one that has the best overall percentages. And you can always add more fiber by adding fruit, etc.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every morning and I prefer the regular variety - it may be 40 more calories, but it tastes soooo much better! I bought the low sugar version of the apple cinnamon and had to add cinnamon sugar to it just to choke it down....
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I buy the high fiber cinnamon swirl store brand at Wal-mart. I do not eat it often - usually do egg whites from breakfast - but keep a box at the office for a quick snack or small meal if needed. I find it to be very filling, especially if some fruit or nuts are added.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You don't have to shell out extra money for "instant" oatmeal. Regular oats + water (and a pinch of salt) + 2 minutes in the microwave = oatmeal. Then add what you like and eat. A whole lot cheaper, and tastes a whole lot better.
  • Shirleyanddansmom
    Options
    I like "Moms Best Oatmeal". Easy to prepare, organic and delicious.
    Lot's of people go for the steel cut oats due to the high nutritional values---but they take longer to prepare and you'd have to make a batch and put it in the fridge and heat up a little each day. I know women who do this and they say its great. <shrug>
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like "Moms Best Oatmeal". Easy to prepare, organic and delicious.

this is what i eat, too. i stir in a splash of almond milk, and usually eat it with berries.

of the four posted in the OP, I always go with the lower sugar variety.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I eat Better Oats thick and hearty. It has flax seeds in it, and I love the way it tastes. It actually looks like there are oats in the oatmeal. And the box is pretty cheap. The package it comes in doubles as the measuring cup so it is really easy to make. I just need my coffee cup and am good to go!
  • Imgoing2makeit
    Options
    I usually like to stick to instant Oatmeal in the morning but trying to be healthy and keep my weight down..
    I know it should have whole grains, less sugar, and good fiber .. Just don't know which to get..

Thanks,
    Dx

I use the Quaker Instant Oatmeal High Fiber & don't add anything to it.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    This is the best in my opinion:

Better Oats - Organic Raw Pure and Simple Multigrain Hot Cereal - Pomegranate flavor.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the instant oatmeal but I use Quaker Quick Oats - equal part of oats and water and I think about 3 minutes in the microwave and you're good to go. I usually add some raisins, sometimes some chopped walnuts, and some Splenda brown sugar.
    I am going to try this. I just switched from instant grits to 5 min grits. Thanks! And I put my grits in microwave and it is wonderful and no sodium except what I add.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options

Thanks,
    Dx
    I found that even though the Weight Control one had more calories per serving I stayed fuller longer due to high protien and this was the one recommend by The Biggest Loser trainer.