College Life Vs. Fat

Options
Hey everyone, I'm a 21 year old college student who joined MFP last month. I was doing really well at first. Eating in deficit, getting protein in, and exercising 4 times a week for an hour and half.

Now that the semester has picked up, I have so much more work to do. On top of that I work 20 hours a week and Volunteer 5 hours. I need to keep my focus on school (need the grades to boost GPA to get into Grad School). But now it's hard for me to eat right and exercise.

My plan had me at the gym in the morning before class and this works. I like only to work out during morning hours. And I had convinced friends to go with me because it's always better when you have obligations to go. But now my friend cannot go often (sleep more important then working out, she's skinny as hell anyway). And winter makes me less wanting to go. I have about 20 min walk to the gym in snow and all and it's like I'd rather stay in bed.

I also have barely any time to eat so when I do it's not always the best (high carb, fat, calorie). Or worse I skip meals. I have a small budget for food and it's just easier to by the bad stuff. Instead of losing weight, I have actually gained. Though that might be the alcohol.

I need some help, motivation. How do ya'll eat? Work out? Any tips and suggestions?

Replies

• literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I actually keep a spreadsheet of activities and plan all my gym time, meals, and grocery shopping around them. It can make for a hectic schedule, like my evening tonight - leave work at 6 to get to the gym before it closes, do an hour, go back to work to finish my project which is due tomorrow, then go grocery shopping at 11pm because it's the only time I'll have before the storm hits tomorrow. However, it's what is important to me - so I do it!

Even if you don't keep a spreadsheet, it does take a lot of planning of some sort, and you really have to stay on top of it. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature, though.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Once you get out of college, you'll realize how easy college actually was. I'm in Grad School now, have twice as much academic work, and work 65 hours a week outside of that. You have the time to do it; whether or not you actually do is up to you. I say that as someone who made excuses throughout my college experience.

That being said, consider the walk to the gym part of your workout. Then, get up and do it. That's all you can do. You just have to make yourself go. It sucks, but the rewards are great.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student too and i'm towards the end of my program so its harder and I actually have to spend time doing my homework so I understand your pain. You have to make a work-out a priority and schedule it!!! Its really easy for me to talk myself out of going but I make myself because otherwise I'll be too busy later in the day to go. I'm also super broke so grocery shopping can be hard, if you have an aldi's by you go there first! I also make a bunch of food Sunday night and put it containers to eat during the week. I pack food for when I'm on campus and my friends think I'm silly having all these tiny containers I eat from but its important that I don't waste my money and calories on crappy college food. We should be friends!!
  • verbalriot
    Options
    Set some time before you go grocery shopping to meal plan (tons of apps/resources/recipes online). Plan healthy meals and then buy the food you need to make the meals. Have plenty of healthy snacks on hand, so you don't go for the bad stuff when you're stressed or really busy.

When possible, try to kill two birds with one stone...have a reading to do for class? Bring it to the gym with you and read it while you're on the stationary bike! Walking is a workout too, so count that 20 min as kuddos for yourself.

Make going to the gym routine. It's something you HAVE to do for yourself, not anyone else. Make yourself a priority!
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know it's easier said than done, but you have to MAKE the time for it. I hate getting up in the mornings but I get up early one morning a week to workout and the others are in the evenings.

I understand being a busy college student- I'm taking 6 classes, am Chief of Staff for our Student Government Association (with required office hours, around 20) and serve on a National Committee for a student organization that deals with my major where I run social media accounts and internal communication daily. I never feel like I have enough hours during the day but somehow I make time for it!

I usually do two yoga classes/week, one strength training and then the other days vary depending on my schedule of cardio or strength training.

As far as food-wise, buy some cereal that isn't so sugary and eat a bowl when you get up so you can feel balanced even if you don't have much time. Buy snacks that are easy to grab-and-go; i.e. peanut butter crackers, nature valley bars, yogurt, and sometimes I cut up white cheddar or monterey cheese and pair it with almonds and dried cranberries... you can make little baggies that last a while and don't cost too much.

Just think about little snacks all day to sustain you and when you don't have time to work out, think about sustaining your energy and not overeating.

Hope this helps!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm a 21 year old college student who joined MFP last month. I was doing really well at first. Eating in deficit, getting protein in, and exercising 4 times a week for an hour and half.
    1.5 hrs is a long time. Are you sure you can't cut that down and get results that are just as good? If you jog to class and to the gym for example you could cut a lot of cardio from your gym routine and focus on strength training or things you need equipment for while you are at the gym.

For future semesters, does your college offer any "leisure skills" courses? I always made sure I had at least one of those each semester. They were generally an easy A, only worth 1 credit hour, and a lot of fun. I did a semester each of ballroom dance, rock climbing, canoeing, etc. One semester I even took two "LS" classes, but that's because one was for CPR+Advanced first aid training. I really wanted archery and white water kayaking, but I never got those to fit my schedule.
    Now that the semester has picked up, I have so much more work to do. On top of that I work 20 hours a week and Volunteer 5 hours. I need to keep my focus on school (need the grades to boost GPA to get into Grad School). But now it's hard for me to eat right and exercise.
    Oddly enough, my grades and health were always at there best when I was nearly too busy to have any downtime. It forced me to plan ahead and schedule my time, so I procrastinated less. (19 credit hours in my degree--which wasn't education FYI-- + student teaching + working a part time job + marching band + long distance BF, for example was my highest GPA semester). Granted I rarely saw my roommates that semester, but they were underclassmen and I wasn't by then. (I changed majors and picked up a certification to teach, so I was a "super senior" by credit hours).
    My plan had me at the gym in the morning before class and this works. I like only to work out during morning hours. And I had convinced friends to go with me because it's always better when you have obligations to go.
    Yep. I know that feeling. Hence why I signed up for those LS classes. Yeah sure I could go to the rock wall at the gym on campus on my own, but as a class I got a grade and the occasional field trip (or as they were officially called "tests" and "projects" LOL). Plus I actually did learn stuff. For example, I still stink at rock climbing but I'm now surprising good at knots.
    But now my friend cannot go often (sleep more important then working out, she's skinny as hell anyway). And winter makes me less wanting to go. I have about 20 min walk to the gym in snow and all and it's like I'd rather stay in bed.
    So the challenge is to find a new obligation. Not sure what that will be for you, but be on the look out for it. You might try joining a group on MFP that has a challenge going "x miles in y days" or "z pounds by q date" etc. Also, if you can condense your workout to something less than 1.5 hours, you might have an easier time psyching yourself up to go.
    I also have barely any time to eat so when I do it's not always the best (high carb, fat, calorie). Or worse I skip meals. I have a small budget for food and it's just easier to by the bad stuff. Instead of losing weight, I have actually gained. Though that might be the alcohol.
    Ah, yeah, it's hard to plan and budget in college. Do you eat in your own kitchen or on a campus meal plan? Do your room mates ever share cooking and shopping duties with you? While we didn't plan on a healthy meal, my roommates (apartment) and I had a group meal once every 2 weeks. We'd pick something easy to cook for a crowd (baked potatoes, spaghetti, tacos, etc) and invite friends to join us (BYOB). We'd alternate who was responsible (one pair at a time, so each person only had to do half the work once a month). Everyone that came was expected to pitch in a couple bucks (to cover the cost of food, which we tried to keep cheap to start with). We almost always broke even and we always had a great time. Sometimes it was more like a study group and sometimes it was more like a party, just depending on what time of the semester it was.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% diet, 10% exercise... If you can't make the gym, just make double sure you eat right!

No time to cook healthy meals every day? Cook up food for the whole week on one day!!

Boom!!!!