Need Strength Training Advice

Options
I started strength training last week at the Y because all though I am losing weight...people keep saying I need to do strength too to get the results that I want.

I am primarily using the 13 cybex machines as well as some body/floor work (dips, crunches, etc). I am doing as much weight as I can physically do for 2 sets of 10-12 reps each exercise. I am doing all machines/total body at each session. I worked out Tues, I was a little sore yesterday, a little more sore today. --- NOT PAINFUL, just feel a little sore. I also do 30-40 min of intense cardio 4-5 times a week.

Am I doing this right?
How often should I be doing this? --I did strength Tues was planning on doing it again today...then Saturday too.
If I am sore, should I not to strength again till I don't feel sore?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    DOMS (soreness) is not a good indicator of recovery, or of anything really. Since the outset, I have been lifting a minimum of four times per week, but usually more like 5-6 times. That being said, I don't do anywhere near the amount of cardio you do.

Also, I'd recommend dropping the machine work and getting on the free weights with compound lifts (deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press, power clean, rows, etc.) to help with stabilizer muscles and having muscles actually working together, but that's up to you.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Read New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Read everything you can find by Julia Ladewski.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I prefer to rotate the muscle groups I work out so they each have time to recover like one day I do legs, then arms, then abs/chest. That way I'm not overworking my whole body. I just started Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer program to improve my muscles and decrease by body fat %. I like it so far because it tells you exactly what to do every day otherwise when I'm on my own I'm not really sure what to do beyond dividing muscle groups.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    First... none of us know what your goals are. So, unless we know your goals we can't give you advice on what to be doing. But in general here are some guidelines:

If you prefer to work full body twice a week then that's great. Keep doing what you're doing.

You can also split up your muscle groups (upper, lower) and workout three days a week... there are several ways to do it, but it's generally whatever fits your schedule.

I would recommend you take that to 3 sets. You said you're doing two sets with 10-12 reps, 10-12 reps is fine, just add another set.

10-12 reps will get you strength as well as muscle definition. If that's what you're looking for right now, then that's great.

I am personally not a fan of the machines but if that's where you feel comfortable then great. BUT, please ensure you read all the instructions on the machine and MAKE SURE YOUR FORM IS PERFECT when working on machines. Also, ask an employee if you just aren't sure.

A lot of people will probably respond to you telling you to lift heavy or go home.... if your goals aren't the same as theirs then this advice is irrelevant. If you let us know what your goals are then people can more adequately advise you.

Thanks!

ETA: you question regarding being sore. As long as you give your body a full day to recover between weight lifting sessions on the same muscle group then it's ok if you workout if you're sore. Just make sure you don't go beyond your range of motion and injure yourself, as you will definitely be less flexibile when you are sore.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your doing total body if your doing all the cybex machines. as long as you leave at least a day inbetween, and not more then three, your good.

You can work out while sore, or wait till it goes away. its up to you. if you go longer then three days between workouts you can start to slowly lose ground though.

I guess the next day soreness is subjective... but most people brand new to lifting get it pretty bad. I hesitate to judge anything but it, but if it wasn't that painful the next day, you might have room to push harder and still not be overdoing it. Not that its necessary to do that. I'm not saying it should be like injury pain, but it should be noticably uncomfortable. the first time anyways, once you get going you shouldn't get a whole lot of soreness unless you start doing a differnt lifting routine or something.

thats my experence anyways.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To answer your question: I don't really have a weight loss goal...I want to be healthy, lean, and fit. I started at 220, CW is 185.... I will stop when I look and feel good.

I have a shoulder injury and a recent knee surgery (both fully healed) but at this point I am scared of the free weights. I will get there once I build up some confidence. I understand that the free weights is ideal and cybex is not as effective. I did have a personal trainer for 2 hours going through the equipment with me...so I hope my form is correct.

Thanks for input!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    To answer your question: I don't really have a weight loss goal...I want to be healthy, lean, and fit. I started at 220, CW is 185.... I will stop when I look and feel good.

I have a shoulder injury and a recent knee surgery (both fully healed) but at this point I am scared of the free weights. I will get there once I build up some confidence. I understand that the free weights is ideal and cybex is not as effective. I did have a personal trainer for 2 hours going through the equipment with me...so I hope my form is correct.

Thanks for input!

You'll stop when you look and feel good? Why? Best advice anyone ever gave me: you're never done. ;)
  • kaylalryan
    Options

Thanks for input!

You'll stop when you look and feel good? Why? Best advice anyone ever gave me: you're never done. ;)

Thanks! You are right :) I didn't mean STOP so literally... I will always be improving but just being happy in my body is my goal
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    I prefer to rotate the muscle groups I work out so they each have time to recover like one day I do legs, then arms, then abs/chest. That way I'm not overworking my whole body. I just started Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer program to improve my muscles and decrease by body fat %. I like it so far because it tells you exactly what to do every day otherwise when I'm on my own I'm not really sure what to do beyond dividing muscle groups.

Your recovery abilities far exceed your ability to accumulate fatigue. You can train with a full body routine if you want to and will still recover just fine.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^!
  • kaylalryan
    Options

This ^^^^^!

Thanks Everyone! I just called the book store and I'm picking this up tonight :)
  • kaylalryan
    Options

Your recovery abilities far exceed your ability to accumulate fatigue. You can train with a full body routine if you want to and will still recover just fine.

I do the full body routine because the gym is about 30 minutes away from me and I am only in that town 3 days a week... so that is what works for me. Thanks for your input :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    For the best results free weights are the way to go and ditch the machines. Free weights force you to incorporate more muscle tissue into the lifts, force one to use more core, and you have free range of motion. Machines force you into a lifting path that is almost always not ideal for ones movements. Start light on the free weights and you will see that you will be comfortable in no time.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Are the weight heavy enough to get you to failure? After 10 reps are you dieing or are you okay? If not your okay then maybe you should up your weights. Have you tried CLX with Chalean Johnson?