Incrediby Stupid Exercise Question.

Options
Let me start by saying, I want it to be true. If it's not though don't be afraid to hurt my feelings.

I wanted to do some strength training today but had no trustworthy spotter or trainer around and am not ready to fly solo. So I got on a recumbant bike and set it high enough to "feel the burn" as Jane Fonda would say and it felt similar to doing squats, or being on the ellliptical when it highlights that it's working your gluts and quads. It was only on 15 but that's high for me.

I stayed on for 20 minutes, sweated like a mofo, and then got off having only burned 60 cals. This low burn high sweat and effort feels like when I did strength training with a trainer so I'm inclined to beleive it was in fact strength training of a very specific part.

Do you think it's strength training and where would you log it because there's no bike in strenght training only in cardio on MFP.

Replies

• particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That aint a stupid question!

Id put it in cardio, under strenous /heavy as its likely to have had more of a cardio impact than resistance, even though the resistance was high (you follow..?)

Good Luck,
    JU
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I cant beleive I wrote aint. I appologise!

JU
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    This really falls more under muscle conditioning vs strength training.

You are training muscle endurance / slow twitch muscle fibers. It does have a training benefit to your muscles. I ride hills in a high gear on my bike, and my legs will get totally gassed

I would log it under cardio
  • jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Although I'm sure it was rough on you, there is nooooo way this is like squats. More than likely, you were still stimulating slow twitch muscle fibers while biking, where as heavy lifting is going to hit a lot more of the fast twitch muscle fibers. No such thing as a stupid question! How are you going to know if you don't ask?! Good post, I'm sure different people will reply with different opinion on this topic.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wow it seems I opened a can of worms because now I don't know the difference between slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers. I'm barely aware I have muscles anymore at all only since working with that trainer he had me doing things I never thought I'd do. (only said that once before about a guy and I married him, LOL). So then my whole goal here is to increase my muscle to fat ratio on my thighs because historically that has always been my largest muscle so I figure it will build bigger and faster since it already wants to be big. Used to have to stretch a lot in cheerleading to keep them from getting too bulky and out of proportion with the rest of me. Is my thinking about that off too?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Okay so thanks for telling me where to put my stationary bike.

Also for telling me about different muscles. Started reading up online and will get more into that.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Wow it seems I opened a can of worms because now I don't know the difference between slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers. I'm barely aware I have muscles anymore at all only since working with that trainer he had me doing things I never thought I'd do. (only said that once before about a guy and I married him, LOL). So then my whole goal here is to increase my muscle to fat ratio on my thighs because historically that has always been my largest muscle so I figure it will build bigger and faster since it already wants to be big. Used to have to stretch a lot in cheerleading to keep them from getting too bulky and out of proportion with the rest of me. Is my thinking about that off too?

I'm assuming you're a female, I apologize if I'm wrong. You will not get bulky. Females just don't genetically have the capability, generally speaking. And building muscle in any decent amount can take years. it takes lifting HEAVY and eating at a surplus, so if you're doing cardio and eating at a deficit and concentrating on weight/fat loss, you're not going to "bulk up". And stretching muscles will not change their appearance. You cannot stretch the "bulk" out of a muscle.