Does Fitness Pal really work?

Options

Replies

• nyemu
    nyemu Posts: 43
    Options
    don't let your first week discourage you. log in your points honestly and start looking for patterns. I've managed to change many of my bad habits just by being aware that Id have to log them in. also i find it helpful to plan my eating well in advance. i pack my own lunches and plan play around with meal options until im satisfied and in my calorie goals.

make friends! I've come into contact with some pretty amazing people on here.
    in short it works~ if you really want it to.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's a great tool, but not once has it eaten my meals or done my walks. I've had to do all the work.
  • jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ASK THE 30 LBS THAT ARENT ON ME ANYMORE
  • Lenapolt
    Options
    Hi. Good luck !!!! Think positive!!!. Exercise daily, and you will see difference.
    I start in January and lost 10 lbs!!!! It's WORKING!!!:flowerforyou:
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Straight calorie counting has always worked for me. MFP makes it VERY easy to track...especially with the mobile app. I have lost seven pounds in the last month.

If you're in a hurry it's probably not what you're looking for. One to two pounds per week is considered excellent here.

Good luck.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Does it work if you use it right? See ticker below.

That wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was how enjoyable and sustainable learning a new lifestyle is. To avoid going over calories at dinner, limit your simple carbs (bread, potatoes, pasta), increase your lean protein (don't worry about going over protein) and complex carbs (green, dark yellow, and dark red vegetables). Lessen drinking calories in highly sweetened beverages, because all they do is pile on calories without satiating any hunger.

Exercise. It will help you look firmer, not just thinner.
  • soniadelgada
    soniadelgada Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal is a tool. Tools don't work. You gotta put the tool to work for you.

Fitness Pal is a great tool, when if used regularly and efficiently, you will get results. Whether it's losing weight, gaining weight, finding support, tracking calories, tracking nutrients, etc.

Good luck!
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hi
    It's amazing I love it and it really helps me, I normally have no willpower but I have already lost 5ld's
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Stick with it for at least a month, be vigilant in logging, and see if it works! If it works "too" well (losing faster than expected) or not fast enough, adjust as needed. And, be willing to educate yourself about things (lots of knowledgable people on here) about common myths of weight loss, do your own research, and it will work.
  • KARATEMIKE2003
    KARATEMIKE2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS I STARTED ABOUT THE SAME TIME YOU KNOW A NEW YEAR'S RESO;UTION AND I'M DOWN 16 LBS THIS TIME I BELIEVE I'M GOING TO DO IT ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION YES IT DOES WORK... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
  • oneheckavagirl
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate it, make a commitment to yourself and stick to it. MFP is only a tool to help. You have to be the one to do the work. Eventually it becomes second nature logging in. You just have to want it bad enough. Add me as a buddy and I'll help keep you motivated!! You can do this...but only if you want to.

Lots of good advice here. I was just going to write a piece about patience.... I remember when I was getting married: I ate little and exercised every evening on this antiquated stationary bike that jerked my upper body back and forth as I pedaled. LOL!! Good memories. Best wishes!!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Yes it works becuase only using this site can you really track what you are eating. So often do we eat thinking it's 'healthy' or 'OK' and depending on your goals - the food we eat hinders our progress. I love it!
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    <
    MFP addict :smile:
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gladius270
    Gladius270 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MFP works very well as long as you don't cheat on your entries. Be sure to always always always put the correct portions in and the correct amount of exercise in. My rule of thumb is to guess high on calories eaten and low on calories burned. If you do that, you'll never be surprised by a failure, but will be pleasantly surprised by results.

I don't worry about my macros (allowance of carbs, protein, fat, etc) but I have alot of weight to lose. I purely count up calories. If you have a relatively small amount of weight to lose, pay more attention to those. I started in early December and I'm down 35 pounds so far using this tool. I've learned how to eat well without taking in excess calories in the process.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was pre planning my meals. That way i can try out alternatives to see what helps me stick with my budget.

Normally i do this the night before. So i see say if i can have 2 or 3 sausages he next day for dinner.
    Or if my afternoon tea can be crisps or if i should go for some carrot sticks and cottage cheese instead.
    By pre planning i get to make sure here are no nasty surprises at he. Nd of the day.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    People work... MFP is a tool to help you toward success. If you simply expect anything to work for you its not going to happen. On the other hand if you apply yourself and use MFP to track the changes you make you will find yourself making measurable changes that will give you measurable results. I've dropped 128 pounds in seven months and still going strong. Anyone is welcome to add me. My food diary is open to friends.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Although I am pretty new here, what has been working for me so far is not only to accurately enter food and exercise daily, but to do so contemporaneously with each meal. This has resulted over the last several nights in me looking at my dinner options knowing exactly how many calories I have left for dinner and evening snack, or knowing that if I am super keen on eating beyond my remaining calorie limit, I will need to burn off a specific calorie burden through additional exercise before the night is done. I then enter a few combinations of prospective food and exercise to see what balances out (and then delete them).

This works provided there is a commitment each day not to exceed the net calorie budget, and that is something that cannot be done in hindsight if one waits until the end of the day to enter items.
  • gfiorine
    gfiorine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You have to be patient with the tool at first. I tried to use it last year and it just seemed too hard to keep putting in the meals. It seemed so hard to find just the right meal, the right version of the meal. I quit using it after a week. However, this year, I'm using it again and it is so much better.
    The tool may be better functionally since last year, but I didn't even stay around long enough last year to even know that.
    Now, I've figured out that it shows my recent food by type of meal. I don't have to hunt and peck to find coffee with splenda...it's at the top of my list when I add something to breakfast. I can scan items with my phone camera and it automatically adds it. Adding the food has become so much easier.
    Also, learn how to use the create meals, there's a video tutorial. When you cook, you don't have to enter all 10 ingredients in every time. The "create a meal" function lets you group all ingredients and you can just pick it as your meal from then on. It's genius.
    So give it time and the tool will make it easier to enter everything.
    Now, I am excited to add things to it, I want to see my numbers.
    Of course, like everyone else says...it's a tool, you have to put in the work. But as a tool, it's a helpful tool that doesn't slow you down and complicates keeping track of your progress.
  • lauramcconnell7535
    Options
    It does work if you are totally honest with your food and excercise entries. It takes some time to get use to entering everything you eat, but it is worth the effort! :smile: :smile: