ABS - UGH!

Options
2»

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. You can get a trim waist purely through diet. You can get a toned waist through calorie deficit and compound weights moves. Abs exercises can build on the definition if you want that as well.

I recommend the ab roll down as it will work your whole body and the wood chop for your obliques.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises? Deadlifts and squats. :laugh:

No, seriously.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do ab exercises, then don't. IMO, they are a waste of time for most people anyhow. If you want to work your core -- your real core-- incorporate it into your other exercises.

Life is too short to waste time doing ab exercises.

+64

I do maybe 2 sets of abs that are weighted - all my other work comes from squats and compound lifts where I have to keep my core SO FREAKING TIGHT

This so much :heart:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing Ab Ripper after only a couple of weeks. The rest of the P90X workouts do plenty to strengthen the core.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    Why do I dread doing ab workouts so much? It's 15 minutes out of my life and I find every excuse in the book to avoid it.

Any great tips? Routines you love? Just want to commiserate with me? :)

If it's only 15 minutes your abs are probably not getting stronger.

OK, it's 16 minutes - it's the AB RipperX routine for P90X. Seems like a good workout. If 15 (or 16) mins isn't enough, do you have suggestions?

You may want to try the 14 minute ab program, i hear its better than the 15 minute one. But there is a 13 minute program coming out next month so you may want to wait for that one
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I really like the Billy Blanks Bootcamp-Ab Bootcamp workout....only thing is you feel kinda like a rubber band for a few hrs afterwards.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises? Deadlifts and squats. :laugh:

No, seriously.
    ^^This.
    I recently started doing some ab work too(crunches, reverse crunches bicycles etc), but that's because i actually enjoy it. If you don't, squats, deadlifts and a lower fat percentage will give you hard enough abs.
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hear great things about Shawn T's "Hip Hop Abs". Its basically core workout while learning to dance
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack during P90X instead of Ab ripper. I really like hers because you get some cardio in there too, to burn fat. It's 30 mins and you will def feel it.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i joined a program at the ymca that you meet with a wellness coach and a computer system will generate workouts for you. i just started weights and abs. i totally hate it. i am 235 and have a tummy. they have crunches and other fancy ab exercises. but one of them is called a decline crunch that you lay on a board. pretty much upside down. it only had me do 12 yesterday. but i hated hated every minute of it. i wish i had advice for you. but i think its something we have to bite it and just do. i think it took about 15 minutes to complete everything it asked me to do. too soon to really tell if its giving me results. but i also do an hour or more of cardio daily.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA! Honestly it's fun, makes you really move and works not just your core but works your core pretty hard. If you can find a class then great, if you cannot the kinect (XBOX360) is a great alternative and can be done in your home whenever you want.

Otherwise just get it done and over with each day, set a record and keep trying to beat it every day or a weekly record and try to beat it each week.

Crunches, Reverse Crunches, Side Crunch, Cross Crunch, Straight Leg Pendulums, Russian (or Plate) Twists, Push-ups (Military Style I find is incredible on arms, back and core), Planks (check out the variations as there are lots that work your core harder), Burpee's, Lying Leg Raise, Squat Lever (this is more of a kettlebell technique but can be done with dumbbells).

There are tons of ways to work your core, bodybuilding.com that has instructions for moves that you haven't done before.
  • xscarletXbegoniasx
    Options
    abs are made 80% in the kitchen and 20% in the gym, so excessive work outs aren't really necessary.

But I did like JM 6wk 6pack as well :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    i joined a program at the ymca that you meet with a wellness coach and a computer system will generate workouts for you. i just started weights and abs. i totally hate it. i am 235 and have a tummy. they have crunches and other fancy ab exercises. but one of them is called a decline crunch that you lay on a board. pretty much upside down. it only had me do 12 yesterday. but i hated hated every minute of it. i wish i had advice for you. but i think its something we have to bite it and just do. i think it took about 15 minutes to complete everything it asked me to do. too soon to really tell if its giving me results. but i also do an hour or more of cardio daily.

That's what happens when you go cheap and replace trained professionals with cookie cutter programs and "wellness coaches".

If you weigh 235 pounds, then every second you spend doing ab exercises, is one second you are farther away from achieving your goals.