Not sure what is going on

Options
Hi everyone. I jumped on the scale today and I had a 3lb weight gain. I admit I haven't been working out as much at all BUT I am always under my calories anywhere from 300 to 600. I'm not trying to I just have a hard time eating them all. I'm a person who is going from eating all my food at 1 sitting for the day . Bad food at that. To trying to eat healthy all day long. I started 1/4/13 and as of Tuesday was down 22lbs. But I seem to have gained 3lbs since then. Is the only thing helping me loose is exercise??? Or was all that water?

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    WOW, 22 pounds in a month is amazing. Good work and good for you. Now given that you've lost 22 pounds in one month, it should not be a surprise that you have one weight gain. I think it is just your body sort of catching up with you. If you are staying with the program, then this is just a small bump in the road.
  • jk051861
    jk051861 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! There are lots of factors that affect weight. Sodium, water, hormones, time of day, etc. You can expect a 5 pound variation from 1 week to the other. The important thing is that the trend, over time, is downhill. Your body responds in its own time.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! There are lots of factors that affect weight. Sodium, water, hormones, time of day, etc. You can expect a 5 pound variation from 1 week to the other. The important thing is that the trend, over time, is downhill. Your body responds in its own time.

What she said ^^^
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is crucial for a healthy lifestyle and a healthy lifestyle is the only way to get and keep weight off. You can do it!!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I suspect you were dehydrated on Tuesday and are more balanced now.

If you are going to weigh in more than once a week, you need to accept that there are many factors that can cause your weight to fluctuate. Some people weigh in every day and keep track of those fluctuations, but if you aren't a graph geek, it is probably best to weigh in less often.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    water...timing of food in/food out, etc. when you weigh, you should weigh at the same time and under the same conditions. If you weigh daily as I do, you will see that your weight can easily fluctuate 2-3 Lbs either way day to day (sometimes more, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose). It's normal...weight loss and weight in general is not linear. When I maintain I can be 2-3 Lbs lighter or heavier any given day...but when I graph it out, it pretty much trends the straight line maintenance weight.
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I never thought about the dehydration. Hmmmmm makes sense. I just look at the last 30 days and I need to inprove my workouts. Out of 23 days I only did any type of exercise for 15. NOT GOOD! My mind doesn't seem to be in the right place. I'm not sure what's going on. I get to the gym I start and then 10 min in I just stop. I'm not tired or soar. I'm just not "feeling" it. And my problem was always getting to the gym. Once i was there i was excited, now its the opposite. I'm excited to go have great intentions and get there and something just changes...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I never thought about the dehydration. Hmmmmm makes sense. I just look at the last 30 days and I need to inprove my workouts. Out of 23 days I only did any type of exercise for 15. NOT GOOD! My mind doesn't seem to be in the right place. I'm not sure what's going on. I get to the gym I start and then 10 min in I just stop. I'm not tired or soar. I'm just not "feeling" it. And my problem was always getting to the gym. Once i was there i was excited, now its the opposite. I'm excited to go have great intentions and get there and something just changes...

I hate to sound like a Nike ad, but Just do it! You can and you should but you just gotta do it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    You may be suffering a lack of energy due to two things. #1 you are leaving a lot of your calories uneaten. and #2 you aren't getting much fat in your diet at all.

You need to hit your Goals. That's why they are Goals. Lack of fats in your diet will make you feel foggy. Undereating in general leads to feeling unmotivated, dull, and "not feeling it."

Try hitting all your goals for a week - protein, fats, carbs, calories. It's important.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!! Don't try to rush the process - it will backfire.
  • amazon35
    Options
    You may be suffering a lack of energy due to two things. #1 you are leaving a lot of your calories uneaten. and #2 you aren't getting much fat in your diet at all.

You need to hit your Goals. That's why they are Goals. Lack of fats in your diet will make you feel foggy. Undereating in general leads to feeling unmotivated, dull, and "not feeling it."

Try hitting all your goals for a week - protein, fats, carbs, calories. It's important.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!! Don't try to rush the process - it will backfire.

I'm terrified to eat a whole bunch of fats. The only good ones I know of are the ones in fish, nuts, ummmmm peanut butter. Thats it. What other type of good fats are there? And i'm afraid to eat alot of carbs knowing i'm addicted. I'm afraid of getting a taste and not being able to stop. I guess it all boils down to being afraid to fail. I believe that I'm at the point where if I fail again it would not be good for me mentally let alone physically.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

I'm terrified to eat a whole bunch of fats. The only good ones I know of are the ones in fish, nuts, ummmmm peanut butter. Thats it. What other type of good fats are there? And i'm afraid to eat alot of carbs knowing i'm addicted. I'm afraid of getting a taste and not being able to stop. I guess it all boils down to being afraid to fail. I believe that I'm at the point where if I fail again it would not be good for me mentally let alone physically.

Olive oil and avocado are other good sources of fats.

As for carbs, add grains back into your diet slowly, and focus on whole grains. Add steel cut oats to breakfast or brown rice to dinner. When we want sandwiches, I use multigrain sandwich thins because if I get a multigrain loaf, I will eat the whole thing, likely with butter. Even at that, we only have sandwiches once or twice a week when we are doing dance workshops or out on long hikes, so we really do need the extra carbs.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to take a dump
  • angela1482
    angela1482 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just stick to this. Get off the damn scale and do what you know you have to do FOR YOU. Who cares what the scale says from day to day. Weigh once a week and you'll be fine. I really believe that our own minds drive us to fail. Staying positive is probably the hardest part of this weight loss journey. I know it sounds cheesy, but if you believe it you CAN achieve it! Have some faith in yourself. You CAN do this. Just smile and say, 'Yes I can'.
  • amazon35
    Options
    Just stick to this. Get off the damn scale and do what you know you have to do FOR YOU. Who cares what the scale says from day to day. Weigh once a week and you'll be fine. I really believe that our own minds drive us to fail. Staying positive is probably the hardest part of this weight loss journey. I know it sounds cheesy, but if you believe it you CAN achieve it! Have some faith in yourself. You CAN do this. Just smile and say, 'Yes I can'.

I think that is part of my problem, I weigh myself every morning. I should tell the hubby to hide my scale. And you're right I think to much I need to get out of my head and just DO! I'm going to start new today!!!!