Mini Schnauzers- Anyone Have One?

Options
We are thinking about getting a mini schnauzer. We really wanted a standard, but the closest breeder is 4 hrs away, and between the cost of the dog and gas, we would be looking at about $1200. Not to mention the next litter would not be till the fall- right around Christmas shopping time.

My DH knows someone that knows someone that is selling mini schnauzer puppies for $275. What I mainly like about standard schnauzers are loyalty, intelligence, and decreased shedding. Does anyone with a mini want to chime in about thier pet?

Replies

• nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We are thinking about getting a mini schnauzer. We really wanted a standard, but the closest breeder is 4 hrs away, and between the cost of the dog and gas, we would be looking at about $1200. Not to mention the next litter would not be till the fall- right around Christmas shopping time.

My DH knows someone that knows someone that is selling mini schnauzer puppies for $275. What I mainly like about standard schnauzers are loyalty, intelligence, and decreased shedding. Does anyone with a mini want to chime in about thier pet?
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    We had a mini schnauzer growing up and they are fantastic....yeah they tend to bark a little more but at least you know if someone is coming!!! They are friendly and great family dogs.
    Ours past away a couple years ago and we thought about getting another one but can't have a dog where we are at right now.

They are just the right size to sleep on your feet and it not hurt so much!!
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My family had one growing up. She was very anxious and constantly barked at anything and everything that moved. All our friends were scared of her.
  • sabrina0329
    Options
    We have a mini-schnauzer and we LOVE her. She is a barker but it's just part of the breed. She loves our family and is a great little lap dog.

I'm wondering why the price is so low??? We bought our dog with papers for $600 or $650 3 yrs ago. That was a standard price then. That's a great deal though!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have one!
    Male, his name is Devon. Playfull as all get out and sweet as can be. He does not shead, but you still have to keep his coat groomed because he can mat.
    I did not crop the ears and I like it better that way.
    He DOES have little mans syndrome however. where he will take on a much larger breed dogs, (Every Pitbull and Rotty he sees.) at the dog park. By this I mean that he will bark and growl at them. At which time I lift him up and scold him. Or if I do not most often the other dog looks at him like WHAT ARE YOU BARKING ABOUT. and then he calms down.
    But then again if anyone comes to the front door he is better then a doorbell.
    For the most part he get along really well with other animals. and LOVES KIDS!!!
    I would not exactly call him smart...
    But I think that is just mine. He is scatter brained.
    will forget what he is doing and start something else. I think it is a form of doggy attention defficet disorder. DADD Again, this is not normal.
    Mine also does not like the water. No fear of him jumping out of the boat like with a lab.
    He also loves a car ride and is very interested in all that goes on around him.
    Our other dog is very old, and right now Devon thinks his job is to be DJs guide and companion, and that he does this Very VERY well.
    I would get one! But the first price you quoted is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to high!
    400.00 is the norm for a pure bread.
    --Diann...
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My best friend has a little boy mini, black and brown marking, 1 1/2 yrs old. He is the sweetest dog ever! He is very loyal and funny as heck.
    She also has a 6 month old female, brown, standard! She is ever sweeter than her sweet lil male!
    They really are neat lil doggies :bigsmile:
    Good luck on your search!
    Kel~cyclingrennrad.gif
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    My parents always had mini schnauzers growing up and we have two of them now. I LOVE them! They are very loving and loyal, but can bark a bit much! haha...but overall, I could ask for better pets. I love my boys! :)
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    I have a little Yorkie . I swear, I have never loved a dog so much in my entire life. I adore her. She is laying the back of my cushion right now with her head resting on my shoulder. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the breeder... My mini schnauzer was a nightmare. Despite everything that happened, I LOVED her like she was one of my children.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    This hits deep in my heart but I want to share :cry: We had a mini Schnauzer, sweet loving Mac. We lost him almost a year ago, Jun 20, 2007 We had him since he was 8 wks old. Super sweet, very energetic, friendly. We loved him to death. Not one day goes by that I don't think about him. Last year we decided to go to the coast for Father's Day weekend. We left Mac and his buddy Lily at the kennel. It was their 4th time there. When we came back to pick them up we were told there had been an accident and Mac had been bitten by another dog while on his morning walk. We were outraged but they assured it was nothing serious. He died from his injuries two days later. He was only 1.5 yrs old. We were looking forward to a long happy life with him. And he was taken away from us so unfairly...my heart still aches for him :cry: :cry: I am sorry but I had to share...the first anniversary of his death is coming up and I can't help it.

Mini Schnauzers are great pets!!! And soooooo cute!!! They do bark but it is just their way to protect those they love and protect their territory. They don't shed but they need to be groomed. I am going to attach a picture of him in my profile. My favorite picture of sweet Mac. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: