Running Training Tips?

Options
My sister-in-law and I are registered for the Warrior dash in July. Our plan has been to start the C25K March 1st, so we can be running 5km end of April - then start doing different things to strengthen us to run the Warrior dash (hills, trails, sand etc. etc.).

We just noticed on Running Room website that there are two races in our city - one in April, and one July 1 (which we ran a couple years ago before we got prego and had to take time off) ANYWAY - I thought it would be cool to run the 5k race in April - right when we're finishing up our C25K training....AND for an added, kinda exciting challenge - register to run 10km July 1st!!

I'd love to hear some tips about how to accomplish this in training - should we stick to the 5km training, or should we start at the beginning with a 10km plan? I just don't know the best way to tackle this - so any advice and wisdom from more experienced runners would be SO helpful!!

Thanks!
Deanna

Replies

• zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would train for the 10km (but with a nice long term plan as you've had a break) and incorporate the 5km race into that training, ie build it up again. I did my first ever 10km actual race in October and had 5km runs as part of the training - 5km was the max I could run at the very start. I guess it'd make sense to do c25k and then the progression plan that takes you to 10k? Or if you get your fitness back sooner than expected start a few weeks into the C25k?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I use hte runkeeper app and website to track my runs. Within the website there are training plans. I used the 10K training plan to prep for my first race and I loved it. I had never run before... You might want to check it out.

Also, I suggest weight training in addition to running.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the 5k training for the April race that way you can just concentrate on doing that training really well and build up a really strong base. You would also have time to do some core training and possible Yoga or other stretching type work. Eight or so weeks after the 5k is a perfect time to build up the program for the 10k.
  • zen82
    Options
    There are a bunch of different plans for 5k and 10k at different levels here:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51121/10K-Training-Guide

Maybe just survey a couple and see what feels achievable? I find my short 5ks improve when I am training for longer, but only if I actually remember to include speed sessions and rest days etc etc.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think C25K has a 10K "add on" you can do once you've completed the 5K program, so you may want to look into that. Otherwise, you might just start training for the 10K, but be sure to throw 5K runs in there and such, as I'm pretty sure the pacing is going to be different. (Caveat to all of this, I'm not really a runner, I do a mile or so 2-3 times a week, and that's about it.)
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I downloaded Zen Labs' C210K app, and its first 8 weeks are the same as its C25K app, and then it progresses further to the 10k distance. This sounds like it might be perfect for you.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I would go ahead and start a 10K training program. That way when you get to the warrior dash you will have already trained past a 5K and the 5K will be a lot easier for you. Work the other 5K race into your training. The Warrior dash is a blast, I did it last year two weeks after i ran my first half marathon :)

The longer of a time you take to build a good base the easier the 10k (and warrior dash) will be for you! Good luck, and have fun!
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Nice advice everyone! Thank you!!
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Best advice I could give (and wished I would have listened to) was to stick to the plan! Some days you feel great and want to run an extra mile or two, this eventually had me on the sideline injured. Take your time and use patience while you are building up to that 15-20 miles per week base..
  • zen82
    Options
    Best advice I could give (and wished I would have listened to) was to stick to the plan! Some days you feel great and want to run an extra mile or two, this eventually had me on the sideline injured. Take your time and use patience while you are building up to that 15-20 miles per week base..

Ditto. Being stuck out with an injury is total pants. Has happened to me twice in the past 8 months and both times my own silly fault for overtraining!