Dumbest question ever? Probably.

Options
What is the best time to measure? I know my weight will fluctuate depending on the time of day and month, and have often heard that right after waking and going to the bathroom is the best time to weigh (for lowest weight). Is the same true for measurements? I'm doing the 30 Day Shred and took measurements late last night after day 10 of level 1. I was sure they would be down because my clothes are looser, I feel leaner, and my weight has gone down a bit. But the darned measurements were within .5" of where I started across the board. Could it be smaller in the morning? I've heard muscles (and therefore measurements?) are bigger after workouts, so is it best to do them before working out? I've never really tracked the inches before, just the lbs.

Replies

• L1zzydarcy
    L1zzydarcy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think it matters. Pick a time and stick with it. Interested to hear what others have to say though.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I measure first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. I know that my waist and belly area will increase as the day goes on from eating and drinking. I think I've heard that muscles do look more "pumped", and I'm assuming plumped, after a workout. So those may increase, too. Don't know in my case because I don't measure those areas.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything would cause measurements to change so abruptly that it would throw them off.. maybe just not right after lifting weights or something?
  • Swooldridg
    Options
    I always weigh myself right after waking up. It is the lowest weight I'll be for the day...and it motivates me.... for whatever reason when I see the scale slowly dropping each day... it reminds me why I'm making healthier choices.

As for measurements.... I try to wait 2 weeks in between tracking them. And I always do them BEFORE a work out... I think it makes a difference.... but thats just my opinion. :o)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Always at the same time which is first thing in the morning before eating, drinking or exercising.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Lots of people ask that question. It doesn't matter but you may want to keep a consistent time of day. Some people say to measure at the same time of the month. This could be two or three times a month but keeping in mind that our cycle influences our measurements so only compare numbers from the same time of month.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Looks like it will be AM from now on!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I notice quite a difference in most areas if I weigh in the evening, specially since I eat a lot in the evening I definitely think my stomach is going to be a bit bigger than in the mornings. I would try to do it in the morning, but the biggest thing is just to be consistent