Does Fitness Pal really work?

Options
13»

Replies

• rinatran
    Options
    Yes it does. I'm almost 47 years old and maintained my weight of 142 to 145 lbs the last 2 years. I am only 5 feet tall so my weight is considered heavy for my height however I am pretty active, I ran 5km 3 to 5 times a week and I would alternate with long walks. My blood pressure and cholesterol stayed normal consistently every physical exam. Even with all these activities I had a hard time losing the last 12 lbs goal. This more than likely because my intake equals my output. Two months ago I was diagnosed with having pinched nerve on my spine which resulted in me needing to limit my activities. NO running. I cannot gain weight as this will not help my current condition and the only exercise I could do is walk.

I saw MFP on Twitter and decided to start logging my food. This is my third week and I lost 4lbs already. My missing link? I was eating the wrong stuff and eating more than I was burning. By simply logging my food I am able to watch what I eat and help me stay within my daily goal
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Nope. We're a buncha suckas.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    in short : yes

Stick with it. I found tracking my food made ALL the difference in the world. Having a support network of people going through the same thing as me - definitely helped.

Ive lost 112lbs (83since I began with MFP)
    Ive started reaching my goals
    I love MFP and it changed my life
  • larell40
    Options
    Yes, my fitness pal does work, it helps you keep track of what your putting in your mouth. It helps you to reevaluate what and how much you eat. You plan your meals so that you won't go over and you exercise. I lost 6 pounds in 4 weeks and I'm exercising.I feel great.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It works if YOU WORK!
  • smattillion
    smattillion Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE! be honest with yourself on what you eat and make as many healthy choices as possible. I've lost 21 lbs so far with only a few more to go! loooove this app and use it everyday! keeping a healthy-balanced diet along with exercise (stay hydrated with h2o!) work wonders! Stay focused and motivate. Don't stress over the weight loss, it will take care of itself if you follow and stick with it :)
    Helpful Hints:

1. Track ALL of your food.
    2. Stay within your calorie goal
    3. Eat back most of your exercise calories.
    4. Eat healthy most of the time, but have some treats (as it fits in your calorie goal).
    5. Repeat
    6. Repeat
    7. Repeat
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It works. It takes hard work, dedication, eating healthy.

Do NOT lie about what you put into your body. Log all of your food. Just stick with it and be positive.
  • fatnomore201220132014
    Options
    I swear, I get so excited when I get a chance to tell the people around me how amazing and helpful MFP is.
    You have to be honest with yourself, log every single thing that goes in your mouth and try to stay around you calorie allowance. Be consistent, honest and dedicated and you will see results! : )
  • CLTRocks
    Options
    If you use it, it will help you, and drink your water, drink your water, drink your water! Drink 1/2 of your body weight in oz every day, it also takes time to get used to drinking that much, but in a week or two you will start craving water.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Things that don't make you gain:

Going over your carbs
    Going over your protein
    Going over your fat
    Going over your sugar

Things that do make you gain:

Going over your calories
    Too much sodium (temporary)

Agreed. If I was trying to hit all of my categories I would drive myself crazy. I started with a grapefruit today and had already eaten all of my sugar for the day. :/ I just pay attention to the calories and take the rest under advisement.
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    I have been on this since Sept 2012, I track everything, exercise lots & very rarely do I touch the calories I have burned. I stick to my allocated daily limit. The proof is below :smile:
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Yes, it does work as long as your completely honest with yourself. I use to think I didn't do that bad with my cooking and eating habits until I started on here and I have made a lot of great changes for me and my family. The key is to log log log, be honest and have great friends on here to help you get through your struggles.

Add me! : )
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It changed my life and the way I think about food and diet. It's about changing your habits and your understanding of your body because it works slowly. But it doesn't take long to start feeling like a million bucks - keep exercising....
  • smartin0181
    smartin0181 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome to MFP! Second, congratulations on getting married! So you have 4 months til the wedding huh? Well, I am here to lose weight and getting married as well. This website has helped me tremendously. First off, I am more aware of what I eat. You will come to notice what foods are high in calories and what you can eat regularly to help you lose weight. My advice is to log every food, even if you go over. Second, is all the people on here are doing the same thing. I feel I have support from friends on MFP with my weight loss journey, it definitely is not easy and it helps that I have encouragement especially on the hardest days. Third, is move, move move!
  • MRSEWO
    Options
    I'm finding it very helpful. I had to learn how to use its tools (still learning) to acieve the goals I am trying to reach. For instance, I did not immediately try to get a certain amount of carbs, protein, fat or any other nutrients in. I just concentrated on eating lean meats and whole wheat/grains to feul my workouts. My goal in the coming weeks will be to target nutrient amounts specific to my daily caloric intake. I am also figuring out how the planner helps you reach your goal weight incorporating exercise and the number of calories I consume. It's kind of like having a facebook account; I was learning something new on it everytime I logged on. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and much success in achieving your goals. If I can be of help, feel free to ask me. I might be able to help...maybe. :)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just stick with it and don't lie to yourself....
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was pre planning my meals. That way i can try out alternatives to see what helps me stick with my budget.

Normally i do this the night before. So i see say if i can have 2 or 3 sausages he next day for dinner.
    Or if my afternoon tea can be crisps or if i should go for some carrot sticks and cottage cheese instead.
    By pre planning i get to make sure here are no nasty surprises at he. Nd of the day.

I do this as well. Every night I plan out the next day's meals, adding and deleting things until I come up with the right combo to meet my macros. If I didn't do this, I would never get the right combination. I also prepare my meals the night before as much as I can, even if it's just measuring or weighing things and putting them in a container. I do leave my weekends a little more open, but by lunch time I usually end up needing to plan out the rest of the day if I want it to come out right.
  • MRSEWO
    Options
    Also eating under your the calories you need won't allow the weight loss.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MFP!!! its worked awesome for me! i never realized just how much calories i was really consuming on an average day, until i started tracking! i thought, "wow, why am i gaining weight, i must only eat like 1000 calories a day..." lmao, yeah right, i soon found out i was actually averaging about 4000 calories a day!!! the key is, you have to log honestly, otherwise, your only sabataging yourself! log accurate, and log honest! september 17, 2012, i started to take my weight loss serious, at 246, im currently 188... i have mfp to thank for helping me keep at it, and stay motivated!!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate it, make a commitment to yourself and stick to it. MFP is only a tool to help. You have to be the one to do the work. Eventually it becomes second nature logging in. You just have to want it bad enough. Add me as a buddy and I'll help keep you motivated!! You can do this...but only if you want to.

I totally agree with this.
    MFP is terrific, but you have to be the driver of the bus....
    Just do it. Start. Keep going...
    I track all my food, good or so called bad. This is the start of a new life, nothing is forbidden, but at least tracking food keeps the accountability there.