Feeling bummed that i had to up my calories to feel full

Options
I know I shouldn't feel bothered by this since overall I am doing good and losing. When I started it automatically set me to lose 1lb a week and I couldn't believe how much I could still eat and thought it was even too much, so when I saw I could change it I switched to 2lbs. I was doing ok with the amount of calories, but lately I have been feeling a lot hungrierand today I switched it to 1.5lbs. I feel disappointed in myself somehow that I am failing by doing so.

While doing a search earlier I came across this someone posted... " 75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week 40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week 25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week 15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week"

I have nearly 100 pounds to lose, so according to that I should be doing the 2lbs. And I know any little bit I am doing is still better than nothing...

I'd love to hear some opinions, thanks :)

Replies

• brittneysegel
    Options
    Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Keep learning low cal filling options, I like things like black beans and fat free refried beans, fill me up and low cal, I add it with my meal and I'm stuffed. Once you get the hang of it you can go back to 2lbs/week. If you are struggling with a diet, you are more likely to fail. Slow, steady, easy weight lose is your best bet. Anything you do is better then nothing! Don't beat yourself up over it :-)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't feel bothered by this since overall I am doing good and losing. When I started it automatically set me to lose 1lb a week and I couldn't believe how much I could still eat and thought it was even too much, so when I saw I could change it I switched to 2lbs. I was doing ok with the amount of calories, but lately I have been feeling a lot hungrierand today I switched it to 1.5lbs. I feel disappointed in myself somehow that I am failing by doing so.

While doing a search earlier I came across this someone posted... " 75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week 40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week 25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week 15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week"

I have nearly 100 pounds to lose, so according to that I should be doing the 2lbs. And I know any little bit I am doing is still better than nothing...

I'd love to hear some opinions, thanks :)

Are you eating back your exercise logged calories so you keep only that 2lb weekly goal?

That is indeed decent for you now, but not recommended to do more than that much per week. So if you exercise and don't eat it back, you are creating a bigger deficit, and likely aren't giving your body what it needs to make any improvements from the exercise.
    In which case, why exercise.

Also be aware if you are leaning towards problems with insulin, low blood sugar after you eat could leave you feeling hungry, even though you don't need more food.
    Just need more protein and fat with everything you eat, and before you eat the carbs possibly.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling hungry, you have 2 best friends that are cheap, and great for you.

Best friend #1
    WATER
    A lot of times, your brain interprets thirst as hunger. With every meal, and even in between if you feel hungry, down a huge glass of water. I keep a cup handy that is 24 oz and drink it with every meal/snack no matter if its a full meal, or just a handful of raw almonds.

Best friend #2
    SALAD
    Get yourself a bag of spinach or romaine, or spring mix. Whatever blend you like, and have a HUGE salad. You can literally have 3 cups of greens, a handful of carrots/broccoli/cauliflower/tomato. Basically any fresh veggies, and use a low cal dressing. I really like the 1 cal per spray spritzers. A HUGE salad, enough for an entire meal, can be as low as 50 calories.

Make sure your getting decent carbs/fiber in the morning as well to help you stay full longer.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You know, I'd almost put it the other way around... at least to start.

Look, if getting to your breaking point (and by "your" I mean EVERYONE who decided to give some attention to their caloric intake) you were eating even more than maintenance i.e. you were gaining weight steadily, reversing the process is the first step.

For some I'd say get to where you can eat maintenance calories and feel satisfied and live a normal life. Then reduce your calories so you'll lose 1/2 a pound a week. Once you get the hang of that, reduce it more... to lose 1 lb a week.

It's not a race; it's your life. You need to live it. Nothing wrong with setting your goal to 1.5 lbs or even 1 lb... I started here and set my goal to lose 1/2 a pound weekly. I lost 8.5 lbs in 5 weeks that way.

Best thing to do is set a goal you can achieve with a bit of effort. No sense in setting one that takes everything you've got to make it. That's not living.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had to up my calories too, because I was feeling run down and tired, and my workouts were stalling. Since I wanted to become stronger and more fit, not just lose weight, that wouldn't do. You're aiming for a sustainable, healthy lifestyle, not a limited time 'diet', so adjustments are going to be part of it. There is no 'failing' there is just figuring out what works for you.

'Failing' would have been if you'd decided to just give up, which you didn't do, so you didn't fail.
  • marissaclaudio
    marissaclaudio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You will do better when you use this site to find lower calorie foods. Once you start eating less then it'll actually take less to fill you up. Egg whites and and apple for breakfast, tune and salad for lunch, Swai and corn for dinner. You can do it. Even if you have to baby yourself into it.
  • KristinaEaton
    Options
    When I get to feeling hungry especially late at night, here's what I do. Slice up an apple and dip the slices in 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and drink a bottle of water along with it. It fills me up as if I just ate an entire meal. Hope this helps =)
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    its all bout self control. exercise and diet. most think that fast weight loss is bad and dangerous.. which it isnt, unless your not getting what you need. i have lost 150 lbs since last june. but when you are use to eating alot...you are going to be hungry when you start your weight loss process..thats just the way it is. if your full for the most part, i would say your eating to much. but if your recording what you eat religously and your within your numbers then great.. but dont eat tell your full if you can help it. i was at a 1200 cal diet for 5 months..then last couple of months do to sickness and holidays i increased it for a while..but now i am getting back down to where it should.. so i can hit my goal of 108 lbs in next 4 months.
  • MysticalRen
    Options
    I know this feeling. I am CONSTANTLY over my calorie goal. I work out a lot, and I am not eating unhealthy foods (Mon.-Sat. at least!) but I haven't clocked it at under my goal ONCE. I am really not even eating that much. I don't feel like I even get my full servings of fruits and veggies during the day because a mandarin will tip me over. I know that I'm new to this and that I need to adjust, but seriously, how do people survive at 1200 calories a day??? It seems almost impossible. I'm not giving up....but boy is it hard. :/