Gym Virgin

Options
So tomorrow I'm going to the gym with some friends. I have a home gym so that's where I have always done my training. I know this is kind of a stupid question but is there anything I should know before going to the gym? Are there any rules of common courtesy at the gym?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you sweat on something, wipe it down. Don't use the machines and equipment as lounge furniture. Work out and have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • LilMissDB
    Options
    Don't forget to take a towel - I prefer to use a small one (like hand towel size). If you are going to a class probably try to stay toward the back until you get used to the moves.

Enjoy!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Do not do a set of 5 reps then sit and play with your phone, iPod, etc. for 20 minutes and then get pissed when someone asks to work in with you. By work in, I mean if you are doing a lot of sets, sometimes a person will ask to "work in". This is where each of you will alternate using the machine by sets.

Oh, and take a towel. Hand towel size is perfect.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    If you sweat on something, wipe it down. Don't use the machines and equipment as lounge furniture. Work out and have fun! :flowerforyou:

This! And if you don't know how to use a machine, ask if the gym has an orientation session for free. Many do.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't do curls or shrugs in the squat rack.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options

Exactly this. Please wipe your sweat.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Don't do curls or shrugs in the squat rack.

I shrug in the squat rack, when you are shrugging 405 you can do it anywhere you want.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For God's sake, wipe down EVERYTHING you touch.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    For God's sake, wipe down EVERYTHING you touch.

wipe it before you touch it, assume the last person didn't
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents:

- You belong on the side with the free weights.

- Lift Heavy
  • Lilyyy7
    Options
    Yup, just clean your machine! :)