best running shoes

Options
That don't cost the earth? I'm running my first mile race in March, followed two weeks later by a five k. I really need a new pair of shoes, but don't have a lot of cash. What's the best shoe for the money?

Replies

• XopherReed
    XopherReed Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're looking for...I find some great sales on Nikes via ****'s Sporting Goods, I personally love my pair of LunarGlide 4s that I got for like $60, my Free Run 3s that cost like $80, or even my Vibram Fivefingers that I snagged on sale for $50 on clearance.

Do some shopping around at CitySports, REI, ****s, etc, you can usually find great deals.
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Found a pair of Avia's on sale. Got them for only $8.00!
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    One thing I can say is that you don't want to skimp on running shoes. There are different types depending on your needs. You may want to go to a running store and get fitted. You don't have to buy the shoes they suggest, but at least you will know what type to look for. I've had the wrong shoes for my feet/body, and it resulted in back and hip pain. I absolutely hated running. Went to a specialty store, got fitted for proper shoes and all my pain went away. I actually enjoy running now! :-) Hope your $8 pair works out for you!
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    You should go somewhere that can help you determine if you over/under pronate or possible are neutral. You will need different shoe types for whichever you are. In my opinion it is very important to get the proper shoe type. It can go along way to prevent injury and make the run more enjoyable.
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping these will work for now. Perhaps later, when finances improve, I'll be able to get a serious pair.