Harder than I thought + Getting depressed

Options
13»

Replies

• aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have been having similar issues, you are not alone. I have been practically starving myself during the day so that I can save calories for when I get home and cook a good meal. But what ends up happening is I work out after work and then don’t feel like eating a lot so I end up eating around the same amount as you – which isn’t good and isn’t showing me results. I am making a conscious effort now to eat most of my calories during the day (breakfast, lunch) and then a salad and yogurt or fruit at night. Or just cereal.

Don’t let these internet folks make you feel bad for anything that you are doing. Friend me if you want!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do you have a digital food scale?
  • brazenhussey
    brazenhussey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just read your post and I do feel for you. If you could give us an example of what you are eating in a day, maybe we can find a way for you to increase the calorie intake so that you reach the 1200 per day because it does sound that with all the extra exercise on top your body is going into starvation mode.

A few tips to increase calories would be to maybe increase portions of pasta and rice slightly as they hold a lot of calories for not a lot in your mouth so that way you may not feel so stuffed? or try snacking on a few dried apricots as 5 of those is 70 calories...

Maybe decrease the workouts to just three times a week could maybe help as well?

I'm sorry you're feeling so down heartened, don't give up! with everyone's help I'm sure we can find a solution to your problem and you'll see a change soon!
  • Krunchey1
    Krunchey1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Depression is a normal reaction, because you want to loose the weight o bad. Stay with it and don't give up...You Can Do It. I felt the sameway but found a few friends on here and the support system is great.. Sending you a friend request wevcan motivate each other... :)
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Uhm, you're eating 800-1000 cals a day and you're moody? That's not surprising. And you haven't noticed many changes because you aren't eating enough. And believe me, your muscles are *not* growing if you are eating so little (you can only grow muscle while eating in a surplus - MORE than what your body burns a day).

I strongly encourage you to increase your calories - start by reading this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you find it hard to eat more - then choose more calorically dense foods (peanut butter is EASY as there are 210 cals in two tablespoons - and a "measured out and weighed in grams" tablespoon is very different than an eyed tablespoon. Include healthy fats - do not fear the fat!

Keep working out but don't over do it. You can workout three days a week and see results. If four or five days makes you feel good, then great, but remember you need to be eating enough. Aim for one pound lost a week - which means MFP will set you at a higher baseline calories and then you can eat those exercise calories earned back. I guarantee you'll see changes within a week or two of increasing your calories.

What he said!
  • dll2491
    dll2491 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, Are you doing this with a friend. My daughter and I are doing it together and that has really helped me.

Also, I have been heavy my whole life and could never figure out why I couldn't quit eating. When I tried, I became so depressed and crabby that it didn't seem fair to my family. So, I would eat. Then about 6 months ago, I read an article that explained how it is possible to be physically adicted to sugar, just like drugs and alcohol. So, I cut sugar completely out of my diet. For the first time in my life, I feel that I have some control over what I eat. It took about 3 days to get over the sugar and then longer to quit wanting sugar, but now I am losing wt and am much happier. Eating sugar but trying not to eat too much just didn't work for me. Everyone is different and this may not be your problem, but I just wanted to mention it in case it would help. Good luck.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    She is a teenager--she burns more than an equally sized 30 year old. 800-1000 calories is NOT ENOUGH! When I was her age I became anorexic eating 1000-1200 and I'm only 4'11. Take into account her age and maturing reproductive system--changes are still occurring and she needs more than 800-1000 calories--yes, even to lose weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, you're totally doing that right. It's just that, when most people say they want to build muscles, they don't actually want to build muscles in the sense of creating new muscle cells. What they really want to say is they want stronger, more toned muscles. That's what you are doing! That's a success! Yay!

But, yes, you do need to eat more. Don't be afraid of eating carbohydrates or fats; just don't eat too much of them. Nuts, peanut butter, avocado, a sprinkle of olive oil on your food, are all great ways to increase your calories while getting good nutrition.

The minimum amount it is healthy to eat is your BMR (basal metabolic rate). Those are basically the calories your body uses to keep your various organs, like your brain and your heart, alive. You can calculate that by going to the BMR calculator in the app section of the website. And remember that as long as you are eating fewer calories than you burn each day, you will lose weight.

This ^^

I can't believe how b*tchy some people on this thread are, especially when their posts are only partially correct. For example, CAN gain muscle in a deficit if you you are new to strength training. This is commonly refered to as "newbie gains". But even if you are not gaining muscle mass, when you first begin or increase strength training your muscles can store water making them appear bigger and you weigh more. It's hard to distiguish this from true muscle mass gain from looking at it. But you are also burning calories so just keep at it till your body adjusts. And, as you have noticed, you are increasing strength and stamina, which is a always a good thing.

Even at your height, since you are young, you should be eating more calories. Food is not the enemy. Too much food is. Starvation mode, or a slowing of your basal metabolism, does not happen quickly, especially at your age and weight. But eating too low for a long period of time is unhealthy and will slow it. Other than eating a little more, you seem to be doing great. Don't get discouraged, just give your body time to adjust. The less you have to lose, the slower the progress.

And don't take everything you read on MFP as gospel or assume that everyone here knows more than you.
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am sorry you are feeling bummed about this :( Working so hard and yielding very little results sucks and I know a lot of people can relate. The good news is, this is totally fixable!! Play around with your calories and I bet you will start to see some movement on the scale in the right direction!! I am 4'11" and eat between 1500 and 1600 calories per day. I am actually thinking of upping that even more because of the "in place of a roadmap" post! Great information there that totally makes sense. I only recently started logging on MFP but in the past year I lost 30 lbs tracking on my own. You CAN do this. You just have to find out what works for your body. Bodies need fuel. You need more food then 800 to 1000 calories. Being short has nothing to do with how many calories your body uses up! Definitely read that roadmap post because it will blow your mind (it did mine!) and friend me if youd like some support! I know how hard it is being short and trying to lose weight. And having a baby on top of that has made getting results slower then I would like to see them but I know that all my hard work pay off one way or another :) Good luck!!
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Work out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and try to eat maybe 300-400 cals less than that. This will ensure you can eat less than your daily calorie burn and lose weight steadily and efficiently while keeping your body healthy. Try to eat smaller meals more frequently rather than larger meals 3 times daily. Smaller more frequent meals will help keep your insulin levels steady and can stop you from making random unhealthy choices, your mood will be a lot better for it too!

Obviously on days you work out try drinking a protein shake straight after training. That will ensure you are bumping up your cals on days you work out.

Healthy fats like almonds and olive oil are great ways to bump up your calories if you are finding it hard to meet your daily goal. Just 10 almonds is roughly 85 calories. While 15ml of extra virgin olive oil drizzled over your salad is roughly 125 calories. Avocado is another good one, really good fat for you and just 50g can be about 100 calories. (Obviously those cals are just rough estimates)
    Your diet will be mainly trial and error, swap processed food for whole and nutritious fresh food and try to reduce sodium and sugar intake.

People take years to moderately understand fitness and nutrition and even then we are all still learning so don't be discouraged by not seeing results quick enough. All it means is a little more tweaking and finding out what you want to try next and see if that works for you.

I would recommend keeping up with the weight training. Maybe increase weights and lower reps, that will make sure you are working your muscle and keeping strong. Reducing weight training altogether will make you lose muscle mass and although you will see it on the scale you won't feel as strong and healthy and will look like what I like to call "skinny fat"

Invest in a Heart Rate Monitor as sometimes inputting exercise on MFP can be very inaccurate when it comes to calories burned.
    Some people eat back their calories according to MFP's estimates and can end up accidentally eating more than they burned.