Is this normal???

Options
tparkin
tparkin Posts: 126 Member
I have been changing my lifestyle for awhile now, and in the last 3 months have lost over 20 pounds. What I have noticed though is that my constantly regular bowel movements, have become sparatic and odd. I'm eating better than most other times in my life and am getting lots of fibre etc.. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    hmmm, funny I have noticed the same thing! I have also noticed I am more crabbier but its probably just me LOL :D
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    I had the same problems too when I first started. Been at it for about a year now and after learning everything I know, I noticed the change. After a few months though I think mine became more normal. I do notice the mood change too... But after everything calms down and your body gets used to it, I noticed more energy and an overall positive change. Don't give up.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems too when I first started. Been at it for about a year now and after learning everything I know, I noticed the change. After a few months though I think mine became more normal. I do notice the mood change too... But after everything calms down and your body gets used to it, I noticed more energy and an overall positive change. Don't give up.

I noticed that things leveled out after a while also and i feel so much better!
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it's normal or entirely healthy, but I am and have been going through the exact same stuff for months now.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing when I first started. I think your body has to adjust to the drop in the amount of food you eat.
  • ntsmomma1
    ntsmomma1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think its that your body is getting use to your new food choices or changed so its cleaning out things to learn what to keep....thats just my idea because my body is doing the same thing and i just started.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    It's normal! Partly because you're just putting less junk into your gut system. As you monitor your intake your total volume of "food" tends to go down. I asked my doctor about it and she said that it's a combination of less food-stuffs and an increase in exercise. I used to be pretty much a "once a day" girl then it became a once every couple days.

My diet didn't change much because I always loved health foods, I just eat less now... but I think that now I mix and match things differently. I tend to eat less cheese because it's too high calorie, and when I do eat cheese it's with wine (usually) . I'm eating more fruit and veggies but they have lots of water in them which is of course removed and moved out through my kidneys. I'm eating less processed foods which means I can digest more of what I eat except for the good quality fiber.

My body has started to adjust to the changes and I'm no longer having to take extra fiber (fiber pills etc) but it has been very different to find sometimes weekly erm... events rather day daily! It also adds to my weight fluctuation! Sometimes I'm up a couple pounds and it's not water weight, it's not fat gain... it's just that I'm full of... yeah. Then instant weight loss a few days later!
  • tparkin
    tparkin Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I wondered if it was due to the fact that 95% of my diet atleast is from whole foods now. None the less my body is feeling healthier than ever and that's the main thing.
  • Katgod318
    Katgod318 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am sad to say that I have done this 3 times now :grumble: . For one reason or another I end up getting off track and quitting just when the getting is good. Every single time I start back I notice the same changes both in mood and bowel movements. I have pretty much become accustomed to the changes and have accepted them as normal. According to my primary care physician these things can be normal, especially if your body was use to the high fat, high carb, high sodium, low fiber foods. He explained to me that when you add good foods high in fiber, low in sodium, low in fat, and high in vitamins and minerals that your body is not use to having it basically throws a temper tantrum like a small child :angry: . It doesn't want to change, and was happy with the way you were feeding it because it was USE TO IT!!! Eventually your body will become accustom to the good foods you are feeding it, and get over the attitude problem :happy:

I hope that helps some and congrats on the weight you have lost :drinker:
  • mhannan13
    mhannan13 Posts: 53
    Options
    I experienced the same exact thing. I started taking probiotics (the live cultures found in yogurt) to ease some of the discomfort and now its all good!