Getting over coffee creamer

Options
2»

Replies

• Louder4
    Louder4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am no help here! I too love my flavored creamer, actually have about 3 different flavors in my fridge right now. Tried to teach myself to drink it black, just couldn't get it down. May need to try the idea of buying better coffee though...
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try flavored coffee with skim milk, if you have a keurig they usually have variety packs so you don't get bored. Or if you find one flavor you like....the Kahlua coffee is out of this world!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I've been using skim milk in mine for years. I used to put a boatload of sugar in, then started cutting down a half pack every few weeks. Finally at 2 packs I went sugarless, that was last June. I don't want sugar in it anymore, but the first few sips are usually a little bitter, depending on the type. I do I do add some chocolate powder to Starbucks lattes. I'd like to see if I can switch to black, but not ready yet.

If you're not drinking lots of coffee like someone up thread said, it may not be worth switching if you like it so much. If you want to, then I suggest less and less over time, like I did with sugar. I don't like flavored coffees other than adding some chocolate powder, so I like skim milk - it lets you taste the coffee, but just dulls the bitterness. I just bought almond milk for the first time and have tried that in my coffee a few times. It's a strange idea, but it's good.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I switched to using vanilla almond milk (if you have an Aldi's nearby its pretty cheap there!) 90 calories for an entire cup of it if you need to add that much! Now I drink my first cup with about 1/3 cup of almond milk in it and after that its black. Once in awhile I'll treat myself to a cup with half & half in it (which was my old favorite!) but mostly I'm fine with it black. I actually bought a couple flavoured creamers awhile ago and I'm so used to it without that it just tastes chemically and blech.

Great tip!! I might have to try this!
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Me too, although I can drink black coffee. I love the flavored ones. I measure my creamer to get a correct count. I allow 3 tbs a day. 1 in the morning, 1 in the mid day, and 1 in the evening. Yes I drink coffe before bed. I think measuring makes a big difference. The big 32 oz bottle use to last 1 week, but by limiting my use of it, it last almost a month. I had no idea I was consuming that many calories just for coffee.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    I switched to skim milk BUT if you aern't drinking a lot, then you really shouldn't have to sacrifice it. MAny people here advocate using and keeping their morning cup of jo the same during their change because it is not something they intend to change for the long haul. Others will state that the high fat creamers actually assist in weight loss as long as it isn't in unrealistic quantities.

I use skim at home and full on half and half at work... The work cup of coffee comes on during the cold weather, it is a comfort that helps keep me warm and ticking during hibernation season. If you aren't consuming large amounts, then I wouldn't worry too much. Switch to a sweetener like Stevia (all natural) and bump to skim or keep the creamer and just reduce the amount you use.

Also, if you really want to get on with switching to black coffee, I suggest making your coffee less strong than usual, this may help with the change and overcoming the "bitter" taste everyone finds hindering. I used to drink black, I can do either now just fine I just prefer it with cream and sweetener now.

Another thing you could try that is REALLY healthy is switching to Vanilla Almond Milk. A bit more pricey but VERY healthy, low in calories, high in calcium... Good alternative.

Thanks for the advice. I do like my coffee strong...I think I make it that way so the flavor comes through all the creamer!!! bahaha....kind of defeating the purpose???
    That's backwards. Weaker coffee is actually more bitter. Coffee is made by water dissolving the compounds out of the bean. By using less coffee, the water dissolves more out of each ground, leading to more bitter compounds in your cup.

Very interesting... I have literally drank it all my life and started with it black, switched to creamer because the hubs got me hooked on the flavored stuff. I drink the darkest roast available, always have. I never tried to make it less trong myself so I really appreciate your knowledge on the matter
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Why get over it? To me, it's totally worth the the 40 or 60 calories in my sugar-free vanilla creamer!

I agree! We do not need to deprive ourselves of everything...if this is something you love (I do & could not give it up) there are plenty of other things you are cutting back on/cutting out. What I do now is "Moderation". I sabatoged myself too many times by forbidding myself to have something I enjoy.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Just get sugar free. Its like 15 calories a table spoon. I usually have 4 cups a day so thats only 60 calories. Like others have said, its something i thoroughly enjoy, and i wont give it up.
  • PradaC
    Options
    I love my flavored creamers as well (I get samples all the time from the company I work for). I've been slowly decreasing the amount I put into my coffee and I really haven't notice the difference. I also just last week changed my coffee. I saw an episode on tv (not sure if I can mention the show?) about weight loss and found that this particular coffee contains the ingredient he was discussing.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Buy better quality coffee. Good quality coffee doesn't need anything.

Cream and sugar is what you add to bad coffee to disguise the taste.

This.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    How much are you currently using? Slowly lowering the amount you use could help. My wife recently did that and is now drinking it black. She had a sip of my coffee which had creamer in it, and she thought it tasted gross.

This is what I did. Slowly weaned myself off unnecessary calories. Went from regular cream to milk to skim milk to dry creamer (need a lot less) and now using no fat creamer. I don't feel deprived at all, or I wouldn't do it.

I'll also still use regular with no guilt, if it's the only thing available. Just count the calories. (and it does taste different to me now)
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Buy better quality coffee. Good quality coffee doesn't need anything.

Cream and sugar is what you add to bad coffee to disguise the taste.

This.

Very true! Same with high quality teas.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Why get over it? To me, it's totally worth the the 40 or 60 calories in my sugar-free vanilla creamer!

This 100% -- if you enjoy it ...make it work within your calorie goal. :drinker:
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use liquid stevia in mine and it has helped me tremendously. I still have a cup with flavored creamer once in a while, but I enjoy black coffee w/ stevia way more than I ever thought I would. I also bought better quality flavored coffee and that made a huge difference
  • susie234
    Options
    I used to add half and half and sugar, now I drink it black, sometimes with a cinnamon stick. The cinnamon seems to take away the bitterness, smells nice, and has some anti-inflammatory properties - plus it makes it special. I like it better than a bunch of artificial stuff, which seems counterproductive to the idea of good health.
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The absolute ONE thing I will not compromise.. Cream and sugar in my morning coffee!!! Ohhh H*ell no!! My first 2 are made this way.. than it's on to black with sugar for the remainder of the day :O)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Will not give it up! !! I have weaned my self to 2 tsp of sugar & 3 tbs fat free french vanilla creamer (or anotyer flavor if it strikes my fancy) over 2 cups of coffee.

First cup is 1tsp sugar & 2 tbs of creamer. When it is 3/4 gone I usually top it off & add another tsp sugar & 1 tbs creamer. I prefer to cut elsewhere.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Sorry if duplicate or not what you are looking for, I didn't read whole thread. This is what I do and I do vary them:

- Good coffee. I like starbucks. Folgers is bitter in my opinion
    -French press over coffee pot. It makes a smother coffee and I don't need cream
    -I measure 1 tablespoon of half n half
    -If out, I order cappucino with skim milk. (lattes are good but they use more milk. I can't seem to do skim in regular coffee)
    -Try flavored coffee instead of the flavored cream
    - I add flavored syrup sometimes but that does have splenda