Traditionally Big?????

Options
On a humorous note,

I am particularly concerned about the physical condition of older black women. I dont know if it is the same everywhere but when I look around and notice people in my same ethnicity getting larger and not caring about it, I feel very concerned. It is not graceful nor assumptive to get called BIG MAMA as we age anymore. STOP LIVING IN THE KITCHEN LIKE ITS A SECOND BEDROOM. Let's face it and change it, meal by meal.

What do you think???

Replies

• geechegal
    geechegal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Very good advice!! For people of any ethnicity, age or gender.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I don't know if this is specific to ethnicity, but it is a common way of thinking in many cultures and subcultures across ethnicities. I see this frequently in my husband's hispanic family, as well as in the small, rural, white community where I grew up. It is generally accepted and even embraced that once you become a wife and mother, you become very heavy. You take your place in the kitchen, feeding everyone comfort, and stop taking care of yourself. Women lose their self-esteem and self-worth. They only see themselves as valuable because they can whip up some delicious Paula Dean food to please their families. This breaks my heart. I appreciate the encouragement!