Low carb lunch ideas....

I am a teacher but prefer to bring my lunch. I have breakfast down but I a. Having a hard time finding a low carb lunch that is easy to pack and fills me up. Any ideas?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Tuna or chicken salad with fresh spinach. A premade egg scramble/omelet you can reheat. A big salad loaded with meat and chicken.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Do you have a way to warm up your lunch?
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    there is tons of awesome ideas here:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Low Carb Recipes

my personal favorite is Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats
  • Kswiss83
    Kswiss83 Posts: 41 Member
    I make alot in the crockpot then bring it in for lunch. Chicken taco chili, kielbasa and black beans, homemade chicken salad.
  • Brandnewme150
    Brandnewme150 Posts: 43 Member
    I really like peanut butter on celery and I'll add raisins or craisins.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Pre-made meatballs are one of my favorites! I am assuming that you have access to a microwave to heat them up. My favorite is curry turkey meatballs... made with greek yogurt and no breadcrumbs/etc. I take a pound of turkey, a really large tablespoon of greek yogurt and seasonings :) I mix up the seasonings so I don't get bored with them. Then I cook them part of the way in a non stick pan and then the rest of the way in the oven. I'll often sprinkle some cheese on top.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Tuna or chicken salad with fresh spinach. A premade egg scramble/omelet you can reheat. A big salad loaded with meat and chicken.

^^^^ Chicken salad , turkey lunch meat, and tuna salad daily .. I add tons of veggies and sometimes blue cheese crumbles .
  • ladybug2606
    ladybug2606 Posts: 7 Member
    My favorite is 4 oz. lean ground turkey (seasoned however you like), 1/4 cup low sodium black beans (rinsed), 1 tablespoon queso and 2 tablespoons of salsa. Definitely hits the spot, and all the protein and fiber keeps you satisfied longer!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Mission makes a low carb flour tortilla that looks and tastes just like a regular tortilla, but they have added a ton of fiber to it, making the net carbs around 6. I use them and stuff them with meats, cheeses, and lot of veggies. They are also great for breakfast burritos. You can make them ahead of time and warm them up when you need them. Add some guacamole to get your healthy fats and fiber in.

You can make the wraps/burritos ahead of time, without the lettuce, spinach, or other fresh veggie, but bring them in a separate container. Warm up the wrap and then add your veggies, guac, salsa, etc.
  • hello_miffy
    hello_miffy Posts: 29 Member
    Fajita salad is amazing. I have it most days, Grilled chicken- maybe a bit spicy, lettuce, red peppers - I prefer mine raw, guacamole, spicy salsa and full fat sour cream. Tastes amazing and keeps me filled up for ages. I also have a lot of curry but with vegetables instead of rice, curry is really low carb usually. Low carb creamy favorites are tikka marsala, yellow curry and korma. So filling and feels naughty when it isn't.
  • poorgirl1
    poorgirl1 Posts: 24 Member

Will that fill you up for lunch? I feel like I need to eat a lot more than that!
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    I like making sandwiches for lunch. I make my own cold cuts at home, so I can choose roast beef, turkey or roast pork.

I will make biscuits or bread from almond and chickpea flours, or just put the meat between two slices of provolone cheese.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    If you have somewhere to heat it up Hamburger and Cabbage Soup is really good and low calories, or Broiled Fish in Fennel Mayonnaise. If you don't have somewhere to heat it-Cinnamon Curried Tuna Salad and some chopped up cucumbers and a pear or something like that is really good. Or you can even leave the bread out and have the tuna salad on top of some lettuce or spinach.
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Leftovers are always good and easy! I always try to fashion my lunch around a protein, veggie and healthy fat. A nice salad is an easy lunch to pack - bring your own olive oil and vinegar, etc (avoid those polyunsaturated fats - very inflammatory). Cook some type of protein over the weekend and freeze in single serving containers and take with you to work, so you can let it defrost/heat it up on the micro if possible. Make coleslaw or chopped veggies in dressing to bring as a side. Make a big batch of healthy filling soup over the weekend and again freeze in single servings to bring in. The sky is the limit, but you do have to do some prep work! Make sure you're getting enough healthy fats to help satiate you - and your body needs them! Do NOT do "low-fat" processed chemical foods/dressing. :)
  • Lots of fresh vegetables and you don't have to keep them refrigerated. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery are good with some low fat dip or dressing.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Almonds are a great snack that is low in carbs, but filling. I really love the cocoa and cinnamon roasted ones. They satisfy your sweet tooth as well, and have the same cals as raw almonds.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Atkins has frozen meals at the grocery store now! Other than that, you'll probably have to prepare it yourself. Salads, leftovers, sandwiches with or without bread, depending on how low carb you're going.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    My faves for convenience:
    * Grilled salmon salad is a 'go to' for me. healthy greens, 3 - 4 oz of leftover grilled/baked salmon, lemon juice for dressing.
    * protein shake. There are 4 million varieties... 1% fat milk, 2 scoops of choc protein, an apple... blend and enjoy. or 1% fat milk, blueberry greek yogurt, handful of fresh strawberries, 2 scoops of vanilla protein... blend and enjoy!
    * left over steak
    * greek yogurt (although may be more carb than you want)

Money!

Good luck!
  • joseph's flax seed flat bread makes an amazing sandwich!!! it has only 8 grams of carbs total (4 net) and is super heart healthy! I also always make extra when I cook dinner....stir fry's, chicken breasts with cream cheese and green chile sauce, gyro meat with homemade tzaziki...all of these things reheat well without tasting leftover...I HATE that leftover taste.

I have some great recipes if you would like any!!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 465 Member

That might be a little too high in carbs for some people. Yummy, though - it was my fave growing up.

For a low carb version of "ants on a log"

celery, which cream cheese and a few olives on top.

When I cook burgers (turkey and beef) make extras for lunch during the week. I buy my salad in bulk already chopped so all I have to do is dump in a dish and go. I use the spray dressings because they have virtually no carbs (not to mention less calories). When I make chicken breasts I always cook 3-4 extra to eat for lunch during the week. Add on top of salad or shred for chicken salad. I don't eat bread or crackers, so I stuff the chicken salad inside a cut green pepper.

It really all depends on how low carb you go.