best exercise to increase arm size

Options
I'm trying to gain muscle all over but what are the best exercises to increase the size of my arms? My new profile pic shows how bad I need some muscle.

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest not worrying about the arms and just build muscle all over. Squats, deadlifts, bench presses and military presses.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    For now, stick to bench press, overhead press, pendlay or kroc rows, chin ups/pull ups, deadlift and squat. And eat LOTS of good foods.

Check out 'Starting Strength' by mark rippetoe. You might actually be a candidate for GOMAD.
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    How big are those guns?
  • rhodesbr
    Options
    How big are those guns?
    flexed 10.3 and 9.25 unflexed. Pretty amazing lol
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    you need to build mass overall for big arms. Doing arm specific stuff alone will not help much. Squats and deadlifts will make everything grow.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest not worrying about the arms and just build muscle all over. Squats, deadlifts, bench presses and military presses.

Yep. And eat lots of food.
  • boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Agree with Jimmie... You're in a great position to do this because you don't need to lose weight, only gain. So eat LOTS of good food, high in protein, and work out your whole body.

If you don't have a personal trainer and can afford it, I highly recommend it.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    How big are those guns?
    flexed 10.3 and 9.25 unflexed. Pretty amazing lol

Dude, that's my wrist measurement!

Eat big, lift big!
  • Igotdisbish
    Options
    I agree with the other guys. You def need to eat ALOT with high protein. Your muscle will grow with rest so most guys do a body part a day and give it a week to rest. There are plenty of routines out there. Just find yours and stick with it.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You can get bigger without barbells or machines, but it takes more than "go buy book X and do that program" and cannot be reasonably explained in a single post (google progressive callisthenics/bodyweight if interested).

Diet will be 90% of your success or failure, and that will come down to a verifyable (scale going up) calorie surplus. Protein is more important for cutting than bulking.

Provide progressive overload, get stronger, and eat a calories surplus.

Naturals should work every muscle at least 2x a week. 3x a week if you aren't yet all that strong.

Dips (or harder pushup variants) and chinups/pullups will make your arms and entire shoulder girdle bigger.
  • rhodesbr
    Options
    You can get bigger without barbells or machines, but it takes more than "go buy book X and do that program" and cannot be reasonably explained in a single post (google progressive callisthenics/bodyweight if interested).

Diet will be 90% of your success or failure, and that will come down to a verifyable (scale going up) calorie surplus. Protein is more important for cutting than bulking.

Provide progressive overload, get stronger, and eat a calories surplus.

Naturals should work every muscle at least 2x a week. 3x a week if you aren't yet all that strong.

Dips (or harder pushup variants) and chinups/pullups will make your arms and entire shoulder girdle bigger.
    great info thanks
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain muscle all over but what are the best exercises to increase the size of my arms? My new profile pic shows how bad I need some muscle.

Your pic looks mysteriously similar to the "Trust me bro, no carbs after six" guy meme.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=trust+me+bro+no+carbs+after+six&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=672&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Qv8VUaOOAoWkiAfx_IGoBQ
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I concur with the Lift Big, Eat Big suggestion. Get stronger everywhere and your arms will come along for the ride.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Dude - that pic is not you

broscience-2_zpsca60683d.jpeg

0/10 troll thread