Stock and Fresh Herbs

Options
These two things do so much for food, I just never can get over it! The wild rice I just ate, made with 75% stock and 25% water, holy friggin' crap! SO GOOD! And using fresh herbs, rather than dried herbs in Italian food, or any food for that manner, you can't beat it! Making stock is really easy too. So, who here just loves to use these two things when cooking?

Replies

• dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    I use them whenever posssible. I usually buy my stock as I just can't find the time to make it, although I did make my own quick stock for a boulliabase recently. In the summer I grow my own herbs, love having a great selection just outside my back door. In the winter though I have to buy them, so I usually only buy herbs that have a decent shelf life, like thyme, sage and parsley. I'll spring for rosemary and basil on occasion, but they just don't last long enough and I hate having to throw them out. They definitely make a huge difference in taste though.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Basil is really good in juice as well, if you ever juice. I can't wait to be set up to start growing an herb garden! I love grabbing my own homegrown food from the ground and putting right to the plate or the pot!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Always! I love my little herb garden and always try to use fresh. I make my own stock and freeze it in 2cup containers for easy use. It tastes soooo much better!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I live stock and fresh herbs. Sometimes I'll use stock when pan cooking veggies or chicken instead of using oil. It keeps the food from sticking and gives it marvelous flavor, all for negligible calories.

And as for fresh herbs...yes yes yes. I have rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, and basil growing in the garden. Using fresh basil on bruschetta is AMAZING (especially with home grown tomatoes).

I also live to put rosemary and/or oregano in my chicken burger. Yum.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Always! I love my little herb garden and always try to use fresh. I make my own stock and freeze it in 2cup containers for easy use. It tastes soooo much better!
    Yeah! I will refrigerate my stock, scrape the fat after it solidifies and then put it in a ziplock and freeze it! Stock and fresh herbs make good food godly food!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I will refrigerate my stock, scrape the fat after it solidifies and then put it in a ziplock and freeze it! Stock and fresh herbs make good food godly food!!

That's what I do too, skimming of the fat when cold, I mean!

I like making different stocks depending what I'm making, like making stock out of the carcass of a roast chook (so long as it wasn't stuffed, of course!) with italian gerbs and garlic, celery and carrot, or when I make BBQ ribs, I boil the ribs first to get them tender and reserve the water from that for stock. Corned beef water with some bay leaves and black pepper also makes great stock for beef casseroles.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I grow a lot of different culinary herbs and, as it happens, just started making my own stock. The stock was due to two events that took place in the same week. My neighbor mentioned they were butchering a cow, and my cousin popped in and gave me a 32 quart Lincoln stock pot. Heck yeah! I scored a femur for free from the neighbor and started cooking. Best broth I've ever tasted. The freezer is full. Tomorrow I am cooking up a second batch from the bones and we are canning at the neighbors.

Tip: Roast the bones and vegetables in the oven until caramelized. It enhances the flavor.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I use rosemary in almost everything :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough of fresh cilantro now - I'm constantly looking for more excuses to use it.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I totally agree with you about the fresh herbs - i have been putting fresh cilantro in my salads recently and it's sooo good. It's very aromatic and is a large part of what makes it very enjoyable. I grew up in a household that used dried hebs from shakers, and it wasn't until recently that I started using more fresh herbs (thanks to living near a market that has a wide selection).
  • caffeinated_frog
    caffeinated_frog Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I freeze my stock in my old (washed), resealable yoghurt containers. I make 15-20 cups of stock at a time, and just defrost as needed. It makes lentils and couscous so very good. I like using saffron too, especially with couscous and chicken.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I love making fume (fish stock) as well. If I am making a shrimp dish, such as alfredo, I will use the shrimp skins and tail ends to make a stock with veggies and bay leaves, of course! This is great for other fish dishes such as crawfish ettouffe, or alligator sauce picant. Though, chicken stock goes extremely well with the sauce picant as too. And stock is great to make thick stews or thin soups with! Goodness!
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Basil is really good in juice as well, if you ever juice. I can't wait to be set up to start growing an herb garden! I love grabbing my own homegrown food from the ground and putting right to the plate or the pot!

I make smoothies with basil all the time. Love them, especially with blackberries and avocado.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    I grow a lot of different culinary herbs and, as it happens, just started making my own stock. The stock was due to two events that took place in the same week. My neighbor mentioned they were butchering a cow, and my cousin popped in and gave me a 32 quart Lincoln stock pot. Heck yeah! I scored a femur for free from the neighbor and started cooking. Best broth I've ever tasted. The freezer is full. Tomorrow I am cooking up a second batch from the bones and we are canning at the neighbors.

Tip: Roast the bones and vegetables in the oven until caramelized. It enhances the flavor.

If you keep reducing after roasting you end up with demi glace, which when made properly can be heavenly.
  • Howl2013
    Howl2013 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    People always think stock is so difficult to make. It couldn't be easier. Okay it takes a while but it's so simple. I make about 10-15 cups at a time. I just divide into 4-5 cup servings in freezer bags and freeze until needed. We make a whole lot of soups in the winter so they come in handy.

As far as herbs go, some really do need to be fresh like rosemary, basil, thyme, or tarragon. I don't have a kitchen garden though I keep thinking that's the way to go.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    People always think stock is so difficult to make. It couldn't be easier. Okay it takes a while but it's so simple. I make about 10-15 cups at a time. I just divide into 4-5 cup servings in freezer bags and freeze until needed. We make a whole lot of soups in the winter so they come in handy.

As far as herbs go, some really do need to be fresh like rosemary, basil, thyme, or tarragon. I don't have a kitchen garden though I keep thinking that's the way to go.
    I know! It is SO easy and makes food so much better!!