Frustration!

Options
So I started MFP and dieting the 1st of Jan. Without exercise-just dieting-the weight was melting off! So I began my new sessions of hockey (2-3 times a week) and working out 5 days of week. 3 days of a fat burn weight workout, and 2 days of cardio. Well, the last 2 weeks my weigh-in's have come up with the same weight--275! My diet is also the same! Sure--I'm down 18 still--and my clothes are baggier-especially my pants--BUT no weight loss?? What am I doing wrong? It's too early to plateau right?? HELP!!

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Muscle weight replacing fat? You could be at a balance since you've just started and your making "beginner gains" of muscle
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sounds very normal. One usually plateaus and yes sometimes stalls.... whether they stay the same or gain a few.... During weight loss we all go through these periods. Thing is to keep doing what you have been doing.... one usually goes over everything in their plan n questions it...we learn from this process. We also at these times lose inches... Keep motivated and keep at it...the scales will eventually drop
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Why arnt you happy with a fitter muscley body. What the scales got to do with a man looking good???????
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You've probably got two things going on: Muscle replacing some fat and water retention. Drink drink drink and keep your measurements and you'll be happy with some NSVs... those are actually my favorites right now! :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Do some research on cortisol-induced plateaus. All of that activity could be putting your body under significant stress, releasing cortisol, and improving calorie-burn efficiency.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Why arnt you happy with a fitter muscley body. What the scales got to do with a man looking good???????

I'm really happy with how I look and feel. Just wasn't sure about the scale....
  • stv1520
    Options
    You've probably got two things going on: Muscle replacing some fat and water retention. Drink drink drink and keep your measurements and you'll be happy with some NSVs... those are actually my favorites right now! :)
    I think you're right. I've also noticed something else with my diary----my sodium levels are way high. Maybe water retention from that is affecting the scale too.......
  • f1tforever
    f1tforever Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Use a measuring tape! The scale can bounce up and down depending on many factors! But inches off and changes on the body in the mirror are much more accurate!!

good job on your loss!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt that you plateaued after just starting a little over a month ago. Often times when you start a new workout routine, especially when adding in strength training, your muscles retain water to help them repair all the little tears. It can take a couple weeks for you to start seeing an actual loss on the scale. It happened with my sister, and it was very discouraging for her, but now she is glad that she stuck it out. Make sure you are eating no more than 20% under your TDEE and keep at it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Also... I've started lifting heavy lately and the scale hasn't dropped much for me either lately, just a little here and there, but i'm losing inches. I will take inches lost over pounds lost ANY day.
  • stv1520
    Options
    Starting to feel better already. Thanks all!