Trainers say getting nauseous isn't normal. Is it?

Options

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rare either...when I met with a personal trainer in December, she had me doing crossfit type things and burpees kill me...I did 15 I think and the trainer told me to stop cause I looked so white and she thought I was going to either pass out or throw up. I didn't thankfully but I sure felt like it
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are getting nauseous, do you get heartburn, or cough at night? I was having that problem last year when I pushed myself really hard. Turns out I have GERD/Acid Reflux. The exercises were pushing the acid up in my stomach, which felt like I was throwing up a little in my throat sometimes. I felt awful! Especially those of you who have problems with crunches, this could be your problem. Talk to your Dr.! Untreated, this can cause other serious problems. It's probably not the case for most of you, but it's worth talking about!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Feeling nauseous is perfectly normal and actually a good sign. It's your body learning to work properly again during the change over from burning sugar/carbs foods that people are now dependent on and switching to FAT.

Boom!!!

WTH?! Quote a source for this or it didn't happen.

Beat me to it! Sounds like good old BRO science to me!
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are getting nauseous, do you get heartburn, or cough at night? I was having that problem last year when I pushed myself really hard. Turns out I have GERD/Acid Reflux. The exercises were pushing the acid up in my stomach, which felt like I was throwing up a little in my throat sometimes. I felt awful! Especially those of you who have problems with crunches, this could be your problem. Talk to your Dr.! Untreated, this can cause other serious problems. It's probably not the case for most of you, but it's worth talking about!

No, mine was more a nauseous feeling from the sheer fatigue once I stopped doing the sets. As I said, a quick shake later and I'm all good. Good call though from experience!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too out of the ordinary.

But it's not desirable and it's certainly not something to strive for.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    What isn't natural, and what the lucky trainers have probably never experienced, is being so out of shape that exercise makes you sick. But I have been there. When I first started I would puke after ten minutes of light exercise because I'd been just about as sedentary as it's possible to be for three years eating my head off.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty normal if you eat right before or you don't eat enough within a few hours of working out. I've gotten nauseous if I try to do cardio before I lift heavy. But I don't if I do it the other way around.

Also I get nauseous if I try to run without walking, then jogging first. My blood pressure rises too quickly and I get dizzy, my vivion gets blurry and I feel nauseous.

If I avoid the conditions above I usually don't get nauseous.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Many people find that they will feel nauseous after they exercise

http://www.nauseahelp.com/why-do-i-feel-nauseous-after-exercising.html
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I joined my gym (almost 2 years ago and still going strong!), I started doing some crossfit and bootcamp style classes. And I felt sick. Dang, they are intense! It took a while (maybe a month or two) for me to be able to work out on that higher level without having to take a break, take deep breaths, and sip some water to avoid losing all contents of my stomach. (From what I understand, you feel nauseated when you work harder than your body is used to - so hard that your circulation/heart struggles to keep up. Blood is pumping to your muscles, keeping you breathing and moving. Your stomach drops low on the priority list of "things that need to be working right now" and anything that might be in there, instead of being properly digested, is expelled. It's kind of like your body is saying "don't have the energy for digesting right now, got to keep lungs going, sorry, but we're going to empy you and deal with keeping the body alive for the moment.") As your body becomes more fit and efficient, you will be less likely to get nauseated. For me, it has been one of those "non-scale victories" to be able to work out at a higher level consistently and not be sick. And one of my favorite moments - don't tell my husband - is when I brought him with me to a class one morning that was pretty high intensity and he had to leave 4 times to be sick. And I kept on working out and thought "I've come a long way!"

Congratulations on being strong enough to work hard enough to push your body to its limits!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Seems legit.
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I got nauceous the first time I worked with a trainer. She said it was from the release of lactic acid from the muscle. One thing she taught me is too keep pixie sticks in my gym bag.. If you start to get shakey or nauceous eat one. It really does work.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 trainers, from 2 different gyms, become baffled when I tell them how I get nauseous after working out really hard. They both looked at me like I was crazy, and acted like they've never heard of anyone getting nauseous from working out before. I felt stupid.

Is this rare?? :\

It's happened to me and my trainer said there wer a number of reason for this. I could be dehydrated or I could have eaten too soon to working and/or have eaten the wrong food. So now, I drink a lot more water (even the day before I work out), eat a small meal (a banana and some yougurt) before I work out. And I take a little longer rest between super sets. I then have a recovery shake. I haven't had the same problem since.

Find what works for you

Namaste, Kristine
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Okay, first I have to say the word is NAUSEATED. Nauseous means you ARE causing nausea, i.e. "a nauseas smell"

Now that that's out of the way, it is normal but not really a good thing. If you are feeling sick, you should really take a break.

Ok first - if you're going to correct people's grammar and syntax, you ought to get it right yourself. 'Nauseous', not 'nauseas'.

Secondly. Times have changed. Words take on new meanings and language evolves. It is now generally accepted that nauseous can be used in both the sense of causing nausea, and having the effects of nausea.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    People get nauseous for two reasons...1) they are plain ole out of shape 2) they ate too much too soon before working out...Other than that nausea is NOT normal while working out because it means youre going entirely too hard.
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen as well, and like you i've gotten the speech " this isn't normal." I actually once told my doctor about it and they said it could be a sign of heart problems or something. I don't know, but i haven't died yet from running so I'm not sure.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Okay, first I have to say the word is NAUSEATED. Nauseous means you ARE causing nausea, i.e. "a nauseas smell"

Now that that's out of the way, it is normal but not really a good thing. If you are feeling sick, you should really take a break.

Ok first - if you're going to correct people's grammar and syntax, you ought to get it right yourself. 'Nauseous', not 'nauseas'.

Secondly. Times have changed. Words take on new meanings and language evolves. It is now generally accepted that nauseous can be used in both the sense of causing nausea, and having the effects of nausea.

BOOM! lol
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

BOOM! lol

:drinker:
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I normally eat breakfast then wait about 15 or so minutes and then workout so that could be why I get nauseous but I really believe it has to do with how hard your going, only certain workouts I do make me nauseous but I keep going...circuit training does it for me lol.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used to work out with Marines who would take "puke breaks" during exercises like hour long running / stair climbing sessions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 trainers, from 2 different gyms, become baffled when I tell them how I get nauseous after working out really hard. They both looked at me like I was crazy, and acted like they've never heard of anyone getting nauseous from working out before. I felt stupid.

Is this rare?? :\
    They're not qualified then. Nauseating symptoms after a hard workout aren't uncommon. Heck, there were even times when I've had a couple of over the top leg workouts, I upchucked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition