All you ever need to know about WHEY PROTEIN

Options

Replies

• GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    Stoppani is a machine and has some good reads/advice. Just finished reading this one from BodyBuilding:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-muscle-building-messenger-complete-guide-to-insulin.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else worry about getting too much calcium when adding whey protein?

No one? It's just me?
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Whey to post an excellent article!! I personally started using the isolate, I'm 2 weeks in with circuit training and I'm finally coming out of a 7 week plateau. Do i credit the Whey, some what, but I'm also using muscle confusion tactics, I'm down 1lb with albs more to go….im looking for that strong not skinny look, i have always had an athletic build so after my 6 week of training and eating my curds and Whey, i hope to see some muscle and strength. Now yes the isolate is pricey,but there is no way i could afford the lean protein bill tied to my 40/40/20 marcos…& yes lean meat is a food group, my favourite!

Cheers and thanks for posting!:drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

No one? It's just me?

It's pretty hard to get too much calcium...most people (barring medical condition) can consume up to 2,500 mg without any ill effects.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm Guess I should have titled this: NEW DR.Oz Diet or something stupid like that so people would read it

Naaaa, I think you got it right. Great info on WHEY. I was thinking why you didnt post about Casein or other blends they have out there like NitroCore 24, but then I looked at the title again and it said WHEY PROTEIN.

Nice Post!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    ISO WHEY is worth the money
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, tell me again about how multiple studies from over the entire world compiled into one article by a man with a phD is Broscience? Do you guys even try to research the things to try to refute?

Yeah but does he even lift?

**I joke, I joke, I keed, I keed.**
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

No one? It's just me?

Nope. Maybe I'm missing something but I thought calcium is good for your bones. I did stop taking a calcium supplement when I noticed how much calcium I was getting from the protein shakes.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    bump so I can read later.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No one? It's just me?

Nope. Maybe I'm missing something but I thought calcium is good for your bones. I did stop taking a calcium supplement when I noticed how much calcium I was getting from the protein shakes.

It is good for bones and other things. But it is also a nutrient that can have side effects when you get too much. I've noticed since I started adding whey, and I don't use much, I'm sometimes getting more than 150% of the RDA.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    This study shows that muscle response during exercise is the same in both a fasted and fed state and that feeding within hours post exercise is what blunts muscle breakdown:
    http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/299/5/R1254.full
    (Which refutes the claim that you need protein pre-workout, you don't even need food pre-workout)

This study shows that reactions in humans is similar to rats on an alternate day fasting schedule which has been shown in rats to be similar to calorie restriction on in increasing life span as well as improving cardiovascular health and numerous other benefits (muscle deterioration was not a problem).
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.61/full#b17

This study shows that after a 40 hour fast, most the mRNA collected from human muscle was not mRNA associated with muscle atrophy. It was mRNA associated with oxidation of fat (plus other beneficial mRNAs)
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S155041311100177X
    (Also, and one of the more interesting points of this study, it shows that apple peels can prevent (or reduce) the mRNA associated with muscle atrophy found with both fasting and muscle denervation)

This article shows that calorie restriction and fasting allows for faster muscle healing because of increased stem cells.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1934590912001671

There are a ton more. Now many of these were published in the last two years (since the article you posted was published) so not having known because it had not been studied is not the same as broscience, you are right. However, we now have newer and more detailed information so I guess it's safe to say that we just know more now than he could have at the time this article was published. All the relevant studies show that muscle does not begin to atrophy just from fasting. In fact in all the research where atrophy is studied, fasting and denervation is required (a.k.a. they paralyzed the mice so that muscle couldn't be used).

In subjects where only fasting was studied, atrophy was not significant unless there was also a significant reduction in muscle use which is why intermittent fasting stresses the importance of strength training.

So to answer your question, yes, I did research this. [I accessed more information through my University server but since that is mostly only free through a University, I did not cite those articles.]
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    BUMP, some information I want to re-read later, thanks!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks!!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    All the relevant studies show that muscle does not begin to atrophy just from fasting. In fact in all the research where atrophy is studied, fasting and denervation is required (a.k.a. they paralyzed the mice so that muscle couldn't be used).

In subjects where only fasting was studied, atrophy was not significant unless there was also a significant reduction in muscle use which is why intermittent fasting stresses the importance of strength training.

i guess it depends on what the definition of 'fasting' is. IF your not eating for long enough, your body will absolutely start to metabolize the muslces.

idk, honestly whats the difference between 'intermittent fasting' and a calorie defecit?

Anyway, this is interesting read for people who want to lose mass but not everyone wanting to take whey is in that boat.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    While it may be good information I don't believe his claim that you need to have so much protein within a certain time after getting up. There are just far too many people who have proven that eating anything right after you wake up doesn't matter (those who do intermittent fasting for example).

While it is a great addition to any diet I believe it's main purpose would be to reach your protein goals. Protein powder itself will not provide muscle growth if you aren't eating enough and lifting heavy weights.

This! I read this when you first posted it (OP) and thought the info about how it is made and the differences interesting (though I have read all this information elsewhere). However, the info regarding when and how much should be consumed seems more like broscience than real science. I have read through several studies that show that muscle breakdown does not occur over brief periods of fast (even up to 72 hours). Additionally, for anecdotal evidence which is worth as much as the paper it's written on, I have been practicing IF for 3 months and recently had my BF checked again and my LBM has gone up slightly rather than down...

guess i should have read this first. and to be honest, didn't bother reading the enitre OP.

I'd agree that timing isn't so important with the exception of post exercise.

and i'd also agree that in terms of weight LOSS, the idea of avoiding eating to little calories or not eating often enough is probably overstressed perhaps to the deteriment of would be weight losers.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article. A while back I started adding whey protein powder to my oatmeal and smoothies. Love it! My favorite is PB2 smoothies with frozen bananas, low sugar Greek yogurt and unsweetened almond breeze, yum!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    All the relevant studies show that muscle does not begin to atrophy just from fasting. In fact in all the research where atrophy is studied, fasting and denervation is required (a.k.a. they paralyzed the mice so that muscle couldn't be used).

i guess it depends on what the definition of 'fasting' is. IF your not eating for long enough, your body will absolutely start to metabolize the muslces.

idk, honestly whats the difference between 'intermittent fasting' and a calorie defecit?

Anyway, this is interesting read for people who want to lose mass but not everyone wanting to take whey is in that boat.

For sure! I was specifically responding to the OP's claim that muscle starts to atrophy after an overnight fast (by the time you wake up in the morning) and the longest study I could find that shows no muscle deterioration from fasting was 72 hours (though the one I cited here because of open access, so everyone can read it, was 40 hours).

Intermittent fasting is based on the fact that certain things are accomplished while your body is in a fasted state (increases in HGH, insulin sensitivity, stem cells that ultimately help to repair damaged muscle and other body damage, oxidation of fat amongst many others). Even at a calorie deficit, your body is still in a "fed" state.

Calorie deficit or surplus can both be achieved while practicing intermittent fasting. People who are trying to add muscle bulk can benefit from intermittent fasting as well as people trying to lose.

I should have used the quote feature because initially (on the first page) I mentioned that some of the ideas expressed in the article were inaccurate and OP responded by quoting the Author's credentials at me and asking if I had researched what I was saying. And that is why I posted this here. My bad, I'll see if I can add the quote to my response.

Also, I don't have a problem with whey and use it to supplement my protein intake.
  • lucypaige_
    Options
    Interesting, thanks!
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    Bump, Thank you for the great info !