really confused?

Options
how many grams is considered one cup of cooked rice? i am starting to measure my food to help me on my diet but idk what is a cup of cooked long grain white rice. thanks =)

Replies

• TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    205 calories. You just "add food", type in rice, and pick 1 cup cooked rice.
    I found that potatoes that are high in potassium actually help my weight loss better, but estimating them was difficult, so went on Amazon and bought this OXO little black scale for $20. I really need to do this.
    There is nothing wrong with measuring your food. We are all adept at lying to ourselves in our own favor and that is what got us in this place.
    A potato does not have any more calories than an apple, as long as we do not add butter or sour cream.
  • Luis2787
    Options
    but how many grams is one cup of cooked rice?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    but how many grams is one cup of cooked rice?

Weigh it and see. The trams will vary based on the type of rice, how packed it is in a cup measure and how much water it absorbed when cooked.

Just enter as one cup.

To make it easier, measure before you cook. A lot of entries will show uncooked amounts.
  • skittles137
    skittles137 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can buy a pretty inexpensive food scale at any health store or even some grocery stores. Great investment. They usually show grams and ounces.
  • Luis2787
    Options
    i have a food scale lol i just dont know many grams is in a cup of rice lol
  • CarolinaBeachGirl2
    Options
    Typically 8oz is equal to I cup
  • CarolinaBeachGirl2
    Options
    8 oz is 225 gram
  • now_or_never13
    Options

So put the cup on the food scale, zero it than fill the cup with rice and put it back in on the food scale. Voila
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    8 oz is 225 gram

This will change based on the density of the food. A cup of flour will weight differently than a cup of rice for example. A cup of cooked rice will have a different weight than a cup of uncooked rice. The weight of something in a cup also will depend on how packed in the item is. Packed brown sugar will weight more than a non-packed cup of brown sugar for example.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

So then why are you asking us?! Weigh it and you'll know.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Google... Or measure 1 cup and enter the calories for the that.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Some foods can't be weighted after cooking, as the amount of water retained varies. When it comes to grains, weigh them BEFORE cooking, and then again after (and, or course, dividing the total by amount of servings).
    Here is a website with many pre-cooking weights
    http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Portions_per_person

Grains freeze really well. Batch cook, portion, freeze and they take less than a min/serving to reheat. It's a meal saver when you forgot to put the rice on in time.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a food scale, I'm finding it hard measuring my foods and not having one.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Wow some really unhelpful comments here!

As a Brit, I also have no idea what this mystical measurement of "1 cup" is, so I just try to find an entry of the kind of rice I'm using that is in grams, so many entries just say "1 cup", which could/does mean anything you want it to!

There will be entries for rice in grams, but make sure you use the "uncooked" entries if you're weighing per-cooking (I figured out I'd been massively underestimating the calories in my portions of rice by entering the uncooked weight in to an entry that was calories for cooked rice...oops!)
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Looking through other types of rice in the food database, I came up with 140 grams in 1 cup of cooked rice.
  • Luis2787
    Options
    Looking through other types of rice in the food database, I came up with 140 grams in 1 cup of cooked rice.

thanks lol thats all i was looking for lol.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you just weigh out the amount of rice that you want to eat? That seems a lot easier and less hassle than "How many grams is one cup".
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    most food nutrition labels list the amount per serving in cups, etc then in metrics so you should be able to math it up to find the numbers you are looking for.

So if youre rice says 1/3rd c uncooked, or 80g then you know to multiple by 3 to get your answer.

Else google a conversion calc like this one:
    http://calculator-converter.com/converter_g_to_c_grams_to_cups_calculator.php
  • iMPiP
    iMPiP Posts: 4
    Options
    Why wouldn't you just weigh out the amount of rice that you want to eat? That seems a lot easier and less hassle than "How many grams is one cup".

This plus depending on how long you cook the rice the more or less it will weigh. You really need to know what the dry rice weight is to get the correct calories consumed assuming you cook your rice in water and not some sort of stock.
  • downalynn
    downalynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1 oz = 28.34 g