New fatty looking to lose weight

Options
Hi everyone! I've recently decided to change my life and lead a healthy lifestyle. I've found myfitnesspal on my phone and am excited about getting started! I'm also going to have a journal of my progress at www.myroadtoweightloss.com to give me more motivation using help from other people.

I'm pretty excited to start dropping the pounds and feeling better about my self. I know my wife is pretty happy that I'm bringing sexy back!

Any tips and motivational tools that anyone has is very welcomed!

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Excellent choice!

Here is my input:

What to eat: Lean protean as a foundation for every meal. To the protean add veggies (this is an all you can eat food), fruit, a limited amount of whole grains. Say good buy to starches, potatoes etc. As you get closer to your goal you can add in nuts (good fats but high cals), and sweet potatoes.

What to do: Do something physical every day. Start slow and increase intensity as you feel fitter. I started walking, then cardio machines, lifting weights bike riding hiking. Vary the type and intensity every day. On my rest days I walk. For now I'd make sure cardio is the priority, as you get fitter you should look into weight lifting. Lifting is an excellent suppliment to every other exercise.

Feel free to contact me if you want any more input.

I'll wish you luck, but it is not about luck, just eat better and exercise.
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome and ha ha happy for your wife :)

Wish you the best of luck, feel free to add me. My husband is on my page as well so add him too if you'd like!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I would suggest setting mini goals for yourself. I am finding great success with this

on eating I log everything I put in my mouth and set my diary to friends only. I do this to keep me accountable. if I keep mine secret I am more apt to binge eat and not be honest about it.

focus on how far you have come not how you long you have to go.

I keep a weight jounrey blog as well mine is

onefitprettychick.xanga.com
  • panamapups
    Options
    Hi! I am also new to fitness pal. I am 5'4" and weigh 148 pounds at 41 years old, I am use to weighing in around 125 pounds but my honey began traveling more & more often (via his employment) and I found me eating out more & more with my 13 year old son & sitting more & more watching TV missing him... Suddenly about 3 weeks ago I realized I felt fat & Sluggish, exhausted & doing nothing but sitting & feeling fatigued. I went to our family doctor who sent me for bloodwork & he warned me that I am pre-diabetic type 2 (fasting blood glucose was 128) and that is a large part of the reason that I feel so tired. He suggested I lose a few pounds and get moving, a healthier lifestyle, exercise, eat healthy... I explained but I have no energy to get off the couch despite sleeping 8-9 hours a night, he put me on one pill a day "Adipex" (monitoring me weekly, blood pressure, etc...) and said it is NOT A MAGIC PILL rather a support to get me motivated to move & supress my appetite. I have since lost 2 pounds in a little over a week. I'm trying to eat more veggies & healthier meat choices (grilled skinless chicken, turkey, fish) and leave little debbie & burger king alone! I'm excited but have no idea about all the carb counting, "Atkins" or what's good & bad as their are so many opinions, I know I'm cutting out what I KNOW to be trash like potato chips, soda, fastfood, ice cream, etc... I am cutting my portions down & that is the MOST DIFFICULT PART for me, as I LOVE that STUFFED LIKE A PIG FEEL, I am happy eating TONS of food (even if it's healthy) as long as I get BIG PORTIONS, that is my challenge! I have always loved the stuffed, un-button your pants feel from LOTS of food, so I'm making a effort to push away when I know I am full, NOT stuffed! I'm excited & determined, I weigh more now than I did when I was 9 months pregnant 13 years ago weighing in @ 9 months pregnant at a whopping 141 pound, today 148... I will get back down to a healthy 120-128 range SOON! I just want to be able to make this something that I can continue for life, not a quick fix that leaves me just to balloon up again so PORTION SIZES are my monsters to battle! Good luck to us all!!!
  • ptimek
    Options
    Hi Panamapups,
    I could really relate to that feel good feeling when you've had more than healthy portions. That's my monster too. I am new here too and just trying to get used to using the tools especially tracking my calories. I'm supposed to be on a 1200 cal. diet, but I'm finding I'm having hungry spells that is making it difficult to keep my cals. at my goal. I was wondering if there might be something that could help me curb my appetite. Does the Adipex seem to be helping you? Losing weight is such a slow process so if anyone wants to give me some encouragement I'd sure appreciate it. I'm heavier than I have ever been at 220. I quit smoking two months ago and I think that has something to do with my recent weight gain of 13 pounds. Add me to your list.

ptimek
  • twihard94
    Options
    Hi guys my name is Ariel I'm new to is whole thing but I gonna take a swing at it I'm 18 and I need some serious encouragement.... ADD ME :D
  • Eons44
    Eons44 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    welcome! lol @ "new fatty" :D
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I'm relatively new as well and find the support and encouragement on this site so upbuilding. This is a journey, not an overnight adventure. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • candjiverson
    candjiverson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I agree with goal_line. Lean protein and veggies!!! And also, make sure you keep it creative. Don't eat the same things over and over or you will find yourself craving foods and end up not sticking with your diet. Seasoning your veggies and meat differently goes a long way! Take out white carbs. Replace with whole wheat, brown rice etc. Wherever you can, replace bread with a lettuce leaf. Always ALWAYS drink your water first! You will get it out of the way and if you have an addiction to soda or any other drink, make it your reward for finishing your water, until you can completley cut it out of your system. Eat every 3-4 hours... even if its just a snack. And the best thing about this site is that you are able to see what others are eating during the day so you can get ideas and a better variety of healthy foods! Feel free to add me! I love seeing what others are posting and its great for encouragement. Also, allow yourself a cheat snack once a week or so... if not you'll just revert back to your old habits. Go slow.... gradually replace your bad foods with healthier options and it won't be such a shock. Take it one thing at a time and just remember.... take it one day at a time! One day of eating healthy will get you closer to your goals than doing nothing. Good luck!!