NSV- The Scale is a LIE!

Options
imtrinat
imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
So, I finally realized it. I allow my scale to hold a huge amount of power over me. Every day for the past two years, it has stayed at the same number. Minor weight loss would have me doing my happy dance and days of water retention would have me feeling like a slob. Then, it would snap back to the same number. It had the potential to make or break my day and my self esteem.

About six months ago, I started doing some research. I finally got consistent with my work outs and started taking my measurements. I was hoping to gain some muscle mass and I figured it would be more accurate than my scale. In that time, I have lost several inches from my waist, hips, and thighs. Even my dreaded jiggly arms are starting to tighten up!

I walked by the mirror in the bathroom a couple of weeks ago and noticed that I was looking rather slim. I figured it was a fun house effect or just a flattering shirt. I snapped a picture anyway. I went home and took more pictures in different clothes and they told the same story. I looked like I had lost about 20 pounds. What the deuce?! The scale hasnt moved in two years though? How could this be?!

Apparently I've been packing on muscle like a beast. My poor body never knew exercise throughout my entire life and I've finally been adding the lean mass I should have had all along. I'm still not sure exactly how I managed to lose so much fat and gain muscle without losing/gaining weight, but it's been a long process so I guess it just balanced itself out over time.

I want to present you with my before and after pictures. (Hopefully! If not, you can check out my profile picture too. It's the same one.) The picture on the right is "before". Summer 2011. I weighed 148 lbs at 5'2. On the left, mid-January 2013. I still weigh 148 lbs.

[img]http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o705/trina_thompson2/Facebook/Timeline Photos/819230_358838400898989_1893984974_o.jpg[/img]

Liberate yourself from that darn scale! Yes, weight is a good way to track but it isn't the only way. Don't let it dictate your moods the way I did for so long. Take your measurements, find out your body fat %, lift heavier, run faster. A combination of those things are what will give you a truer picture of your progress.

I still have days when I want to see that number go down. Really though, I just want to have less fat and take up less space. So, I've been fairly successful with that, I think. Please feel free to add me on here. I'm trying to beef up my friends list!.

Replies

• allgoodthings
    allgoodthings Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great job! I've liberated myself from the scale because that *kitten* hasn't moved in 2 months. I'm looking forward to seeing/feeling the changes that should come.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You look great and there definitely appears to be major "poundage" gone! Good for you. What you are doing is obviously working!
  • committed120
    Options
    That is amazing. You look fantastic. This is definitely encouraging me to get myself into the gym like I've been thinking about. Great job!!!
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work! Way to stick it out and push through the "stuck scale" woes. I have the same issues and constantly remind myself that it's ALL about how you look and feel! :)
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Options
    Very inspirational! I have been obsessing about the scale lately. I eat pretty good work out more. Feel stronger and better but that damn scale rules my emotions! I'm almost afraid to not get on it though. When it goes down I always feel more motivated. Posts like these help a lot though to move me in the right direction! Thank you! You looks great btw!
  • tblackwell1234
    tblackwell1234 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great post! Yes, the scale and I just don't get along. lol
    Thanks for sharing,
    Toni
  • steadybutsure
    steadybutsure Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading ur post and the proof is in the puddin! I agree, my scale and I have a love hate relationship :)
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    big difference. you are doing an amazing job. way to go
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post!
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I love this! I too focus on measurements and not the scale
  • KatieM1986
    Options
    Good job!! You look great!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Love it! The scale is not your friend! Best wishes!
  • onmyweigh115
    onmyweigh115 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You said it! Congratulations on freeing yourself from a number, truly inspirational.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You look great :D
  • its_chantastic
    Options
    great post and nice shape! =)
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! I may have to throw my scale out :)
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed to read today. Thank you for sharing.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    WOW this is really enlightning. !! you LOOK AMAZING!!! are you lifting weights.. i was going to start lifting today. a little ocnfused on what to start with but i'm going to keep reading and go for it. :) looking forward, !!
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Completely concur with you.... the scales for too long dominated how I felt about myself :angry: . A small gain would make me lose all hope and make me put tonnes on. :grumble:

Congratulations to you - you look fab! :drinker: xxx
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    To deserve a gold star for this post, I love it !!! Thank you xxxx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!