(¯`*•.¸,¤°´`°¤,¸.•*´¯)Homemade yogurt?

Options
(¯`*•.¸,¤°´`°¤,¸.•*´¯) So I make my own yogurt and LOVE it. But am curious if anyone knows if the cals stay the same AFTER the fermentation? I let mine ferment for 24 hours in order to get true yogurt. In my mind the milk is no longer milk so are the cals the same? Anyways I hope I made some sense. I have a BAD gut and the bacteria in the yogurt helps to heal so I eat it everyday, but I want to count the right amount of cals. THANKS, HEIDI(¯`*•.¸,¤°´`°¤,¸.•*´¯)

Replies

• deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I don't have any idea on the change (or not) in calories for you yogurt. But you seem to have things under control. With 27 pounds lost, it looks like the calories you've been recording are close enough. Good job.
  • ChrissyM
    ChrissyM Posts: 23
    Options
    How do you make homemade yogurt? It sounds like something I would like to try.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I'm also curious how to make homemade yogurt. I had a friend try to make some a few weeks ago, but her's curdled and looked more like cottage cheese...
  • muppetkeeper
    muppetkeeper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I don't know anything about yogurt making, but I know a little about the laws of physics!

Most fermentation turns sugar into something else, but you can't create energy (which calories are), so at the very worst the yogurt will have the same calories as the milk. In some fermentation, such as in bread, heat is given off, which actually reduces calories very slightly.

So I think you can guess your yogurt calories are the same as the milk.

MK
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I should just count it as the same. Making the yogurt is so easy and mine turns out creamy everytime. But you have to remember that it is alive so you have to be very careful. Here is a link to the recipe that I follow, it shows using a yogurt maker, but you can do it on a heating pad or in the oven by just using the oven light. I use cow's milk, but you can use goat's milk or whatever. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/beginners_guide/yoghurt/yog_pict_guide.htm
  • writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have always assumed the caloric content is the same, because you're not adding anything to it. Sort of like when you cook a piece of chicken, it has the same amount of calories beforehand and afterwards? But I'm not positive. Sorry!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I love homemade yogurt! My former roommate had a little yogurt incubator so it turned out perfect every time. I would imagine that you can just find the calories for the same amount of store-bought plain yogurt for whatever level of fat you are using (whole, skim...) and that would give you a good estimate as the calories in the homemade stuff.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this! Thanks!