I don't get It

Options
I have been reading a lot of the posts and suggestions about calorie intake, BMR and TDEE. It is confusing to say the least. MFP has me at a target calories of 1,540 before excersise to lose 1.5lbs per week. But when I read all the posts about BMR and TDEE, it is recommended to eat at leat your BMR. My BMR on MFP is 1,834. So, why is MFP recommending I only eat 1,540? I don't get it and am more confused then ever.

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It's best to lose weight as slowly as you can stand it...

A 2 lb/week weight loss (of "real" weight) is fairly extreme unless you have a LOT to lose.

1 lb/week is a better target in the long run (again, depending on how much you have to lose) because it doesn't stress your body as badly as a net 7000 calorie deficit per week.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    bump
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Because MFP is only giving you what you ask it for. MFP uses a simple equation to calculate your calorie goal (BMR * activity multiplier - deficit needed for wanted loss). The only limit MFP uses is a minimum of 1200 calories per day no matter where you set your goal at. You set the wanted loss rate, so if you want to not be eating below BMR, then I'd say lower your goal.
  • Jimtech87
    Options
    Thanks for that info. But, even if I lower my goal to 1 pound per day as recommended, it still has me below the BMR. That is fine, but being new to all this and reading the recommended posts pinned at the top, they recommend eating at leat your BMR. It is very confusing to me and difficult to know what to do.
  • n0ob
    Options
    Thanks for that info. But, even if I lower my goal to 1 pound per day as recommended, it still has me below the BMR. That is fine, but being new to all this and reading the recommended posts pinned at the top, they recommend eating at leat your BMR. It is very confusing to me and difficult to know what to do.

do some exercise then...
  • Jimtech87
    Options
    sorry I aked.
  • n0ob
    Options
    sorry I aked.

seriously, if you did some exercise that was logged, you could technically eat more than your BMR, without the 500 cal deficit falling below it, if it's that important.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Just reset your calorie goal for your BMR. That's what I ended up doing. Daily, I net my BMR and have lost each week since doing so.

MFP will set your calories based on a math equation and that's it. Far too often we set our goals too high and our activity too low.