Yawning while weight lifting. . . weird, I know.

Options
I have a question about how my body reponds to lifting weights. I have noticed that every time I lift weights, I suddenly get this urge to yawn every so often during my work out. I know its strange, but I really don't know why. I admit that I am not a big fan of excercise that's why I am overweight.

It does not happen when I do cardio type workouts, but only weight lifting. I would describe my yawining like that of a crash after having a big meal. I have done weight lifting in the am and the pm and the same things happens. I yawn. WEIRD!

Does anyone also experience this or have a possible explanation?

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Options
    Yawning is a response to not having enough oxygen. Maybe you should focus more on your breathing next training session and see if it helps. That's a strange problem to have.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't have an explanation but it happens a lot to me, both lifting and cardio. This morning, if looks could kill, Jeff the Sadistic Spin Nazi would have struck me down in the middle of class for yawning.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    It's the body pulling in more oxygen.
    As said before, make sure you concentrate on breathing properly ... no holding your breathe whilst lifting!
  • Jocosase
    Jocosase Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @ Controversial: I am glad I am not the only one. I was just weirded out that this happens.

@ Loftearmen: I will take up your suggestion. I will focus more on breathing better while working out. Thanks for the tip.
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It was already said, but yawning is from lack of oxygen to the brain.

I yawn too when lifting, and I think I do pretty well with focusing on my breathing....
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all and others have the same issue. Loftearmen is right. Oxygen deprivation.

Deep abdominal breathing. Focus on that during your exercising.
  • kellyf_83
    Options
    I yawn constantly when I work out. Mostly when I spin though. I think it's just my body wanting a quick intake of oxygen. Its not that im yawning from being tired. Funny....
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I usually black out between sets.
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You just reminded me that I used to yawn all the time while lifting, too! I attributed it to lack of sleep (about 6 hours on most nights). Plus, I lift a couple hours after my lunch (which is the most tired part of the day for most people). I started taking a 20 minute "power" nap between lunch and my workout and that has helped immensely. No more yawning and I am good-to-go until after midnight. Yes, I have an odd schedule. Oh, and I've also cut down on my carbs. That might be helping, too.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've always been a pretty shallow breather and tend to yawn at lot during workouts.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about this, but I used to yawn on my really heavy squat workouts. Haven't had that problem yet with my reunion with the squat rack but my weights so far are what used to be warmups for me.

I'm a firm follower of the only breathe between reps philosophy, if you are breathing during a heavy rep you lose your core support. I breathe at the top of a rep on squats and bench, and at the top and bottom on deads.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I do this ALL the time during workouts. And I know I breath properly because I'm a stickler for proper everything while working out. So... idk but, you're not the only one!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just yawned reading this!

I do it too on the treadmill, it's a lack of oxygen. Gotta work on breathing more.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I want to know how many people yawned while reading this. I read a study about yawning once and how even the mere suggestion/word yawn triggers yawning.

I yawned several times while reading. LOL.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I want to know how many people yawned while reading this. I read a study about yawning once and how even the mere suggestion/word yawn triggers yawning.

that is too funny
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Caught me off guard. Very funny!
  • Jocosase
    Jocosase Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You guys are so right......I started yawing again just reading about the yawing experience of everyone else....lol
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all and others have the same issue. Loftearmen is right. Oxygen deprivation.

Deep abdominal breathing. Focus on that during your exercising.
    ^ what they said
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Yes, seeing someone yawn, or something yawn (cat, dog, squirrel) or even a photo of someone/thing yawning, sets me off.

And now I realize even the word yawn makes me yawn. :yawn: