Dinner Disaster

Options
So I can be good all day but when I get home.... BAM it goes all down hill from there. My husband wants to go out to eat, we have baseball practice or game, or go to a friends house....

Anyone else have this problem if so what are you doing or have done to get over this hurdle?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    1) pre-plan your meals. set down at the beginning of the week and pre-plan every dinner and shop and make sure you have it all. then it's easy to say "Oh, it's tuesdays....we're having tacos!" and not worry about it.

2) find "safe" places to go to eat. mainly for me that usually means a place that has a good salad I love that I know I can get tailored a little to my eating. there is a local place here that is pretty healthy and has this amazing fuji apple salad with balsamic dressing. Under 400 cals for a huge salad with chicken. It's also a "safe" place for me and my boyfriend and kids boy love the other food they have there. Taco Bell is also pretty good for fast food because they have their "fresco" menu with a bunch of stuff under 2 and 3 hundred cals.

3) I keep Kind or Lara bars on hand at all times for super emergencies. If I'm gonna be stuck taking my daughter to the mall, for example, and I'm rushing around, I can grab a bar on the way so I'm less likely to get something crappy. That, and a tall skinny mocha at Starbucks is only about 100 calories and they are EVERYWHERE. So as a last resort, I just make sure I never get starving and make bad choices.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Good choices and portion control.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    I'd suggest have a snack right after work - you can have it waiting for you in your car. 200 cals is about right - like a pack of Bel Vita breakfast biscuits(230 cals/3 gms fiber/4 gms protein, w/ whole grains, but tastes like a cookie). The key is to choose the right thing that feels like an indulgence and fills you up without spiking your blood sugar and making you hungry again. Once you have the snack after work, mentally you will probably feel less inclined to indulge/overindulge at dinner - the intensity of your hunger and the feeling of having done so well earlier might make you more inclined to overindulge, especially because it takes twenty minutes after beginning to eat for fullness to register in your stomach. If you eat a substantial snack after work, you might eat much healthier in the evening because by the time you get home you won't feel hungry any more.