Ladies with Defined Backs

Options
I've started lifting. I'm noticing significant changes in tone in my arms, legs, stomach and shoulders - pretty much everything but my back. Am I just being impatient, or are there things I can do specifically to isolate and build the muscles in my upper and lower back? And, ladies who have built strong, defined back muscles - how did you do it?

Replies

• sanalupe
    sanalupe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was born with it and then done some lifting but I realised I don't want to look like Hercules. I have a big frame too. I use to hate my back when I was teenager.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting - and keep progressing in your lifts with proper form and heavier weights (when safe to increase!).

Fat loss will reveal those muscles - I promise!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What is your current routine? Are you doing pull ups and deadlifts?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting - and keep progressing in your lifts with proper form and heavier weights (when safe to increase!).

Fat loss will reveal those muscles - I promise!

Yep
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    While I agree that fat loss is a big part of it, I'm still noticing a significant lack of both strength and definition in my back even as the muscles in the rest of my body start to gain definition.

I've been doing chin-ups and controlled lowers to build up to pull-ups, because I'm just not quite there yet. I'm seeing improvement, though, and I'm not far from doing my first pull-up.

As for deadlifts, no. I'm thinking about a couple of sessions with a trainer to review form before I jump back into it. Thoughts?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, barbell rows, chin ups (which you already said you do) and lat pulldown are my main exercises.

Also, if you store a lot of fat in your back compared to elsewhere, it may take time but gradually as body fat comes down the muscles will begin to show more :)
  • MLibby84
    Options
    I do push ups. I've started to see a lot of difference in my back, and i do free weights for arms and shoulders. More to tone up though.

Good Luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As for deadlifts, no. I'm thinking about a couple of sessions with a trainer to review form before I jump back into it. Thoughts?

YEAH!
    Then check out a good novice program like Starting Strength
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts
    Negative chin-ups (like you are doing)
    Pendlay rows

And maybe you just aren't seeing it. It's hard to flex you back and look at the same time.
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i had the same issue. once my body fat dropped I started noticing a lot more back muscles showing, obviously. Continue with a good combo of wide grip and narrow grip upper back exercises. deadlifts are a must. Pullups helped me a lot and reverse fly's using the peck deck. Um bent over rows, wide grip lat pulldown, low cable row, straight arm cable pushdown. um basically everything that everyone's saying. My back is the last place muscles developed for me eventhough I always trained them. Keep going, you'll get there!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I think because I'm perimenopausal, I store all my fat on my back and triceps... It's a serious issue that plagues me. I can push huge numbers... but can not do a pull up or push up (well, 7). I don't think my lats exist.