Do you stretch after cardio/lifting?

Options
I've noticed at our small community gym I am the only person that ever stretches after a workout.

Do you stretch after working out? Do you do it there and then at the gym? Or wait until you get home?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I warm up and then stretch before lifting. If I feel sore as soon as I am finished, I stretch again after.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I stretch at the gym as soon as I am finished. I have noticed a big improvement in my flexibility.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I stretch at home.... Partly because I like to shower first, then stretch, and partly because then I can do my stupid stretches that feel really really good but look really really stupid.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered the same thing. I stretch for a good 10 minutes after lifting and rarely see other stretchers. Maybe they stretch when they get home?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    As much as I love stretching after and during exercise, dynmaic stretching is the most important before you start to warm up the body. Butt kicks, High Knees, Hops, and Walking Lunges are part of my warm up.

Look up PNF stretching too.
  • thethinnydiaries
    Options
    I stretch before and after. Even at the gym. I do it in the locker room though because I've noticed that not too many people stretch at the gym either.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I stretch after running. I foam roll and stretch after lifting/HIIT.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I always stretch afterward while I'm at the gym and I try to foam roll at least once per week.
  • mikeyd1219
    Options
    I've also noticed no one stretches at the gym. At first I didn't either. After talking with my doctor about my fitness and weight loss goals, he told me stretching after a work out is the most important. He also told me that too much stretching before can increase your chance of injury. So I started stretching after workouts and noticed a huge difference, way less muscle soreness and quicker muscle recovery. Now I stretch at the gym when I'm done with cardio or lifting.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    I stretch and rumble-roll after EVERY work-out! But, I'm mid-40's, now, and I just find this keeps DOMs away and really does keep me flexible!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I warm up for 15 minutes and stretch for about 20 afterwards.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Stretching doesn't have to take place before, after, during or relative to any other workout- you can do it whenever is convenient to you, as long as you warm up a little and don't do static stretches on cold muscles- which can do more harm than good.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've noticed at our small community gym I am the only person that ever stretches after a workout.

Do you stretch after working out? Do you do it there and then at the gym? Or wait until you get home?

I did it just NOW as you reminded me :tongue:
  • MLibby84
    Options
    i stretch all the time lol. I have really tight calves, and i had surgery on my right calf because my tendon was to tight(from being over weight not stretching) So I try to stretch all the time(before work out, although my trainer tells me I dont have to because loosing up will hep, I stretch in btween cardio and weights and then after my work out and before I go to bed.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    When I run..I stretch for a shorter time before than I do after...i.e. 5 minutes before, 10 minutes after. I use the warm up/cool downs to ballistic stretch a bit.

When I weight lift...10 before and after. So yes. I am usually the only one who stretches as well. Most people hop on and then hop off machines or the weights. I usually use the rest between sets to stretch as well...i.e. simply arm circles, neck stretches, hamstring stretches, etc....
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, I warm up and cool down stretch when doing a workout video and just follow the vid but I didn't realise you should also do it after a run. Do most people stretch after a run? well jog in my case but still 5mls in 50 mins I'm ok with that but I don't feel the need to stretch after it. Maybe I should....
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im stretching alot more than I used too. Before and after cardio and after lifting
  • michelleshere
    michelleshere Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I stretch after lifting and cardio.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I stretch before and after but at home. I'm out of shape but still incredibly flexible so it takes a bit more for me to get a good stretch and I HATE getting those looks at the gym when I do splits or something.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have to Stretch after Cardio and Lifitng otherwise I would be as stiff as a board...lol!!! Plus it prevents shin splints and I like the cool down effect it has :smile: