What's up with the expiration date on thread police?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    just decded I don't wanna...:tongue:
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm going to repeatedly bump this thread for the next 2 years. Bump!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    We should all just go bump a bunch of old posts, so we can piss people off!

Funnily enough 1 was bumped that was 18 months old not so long back, and the guy who started the thread had deactivated his account about 1 month after posting it. He got more replies after the thread was bumped than he got when he first posted his question lol!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Bump an old thread: Get accused of forum necromancy.

Start a new thread: Get told to use the search function.
    Totally!

I've been involved in forums in one way or another for almost 20 years now, starting back with dialup BBS systems and it's always like this. Many people tend to think that if they have already discussed a topic and formed their own opinion about it, or determined what is factual, then nobody else is allowed to think it's 'new' anymore. Sorry but "new" is not universal.

The reality is that when people are new to a hobby or pastime, which is what most forums are about whether it's breeding snakes, sailing, gardening, fitness, or laser pointers, they often have the same or similar thoughts, questions, and ideas, which are new to them, and which are "old" to veterans of the activity.

This happens on all forums regardless of topic. (expressed as Pritzel's Law: all internet forums have essentially the same people discussing the same things and having the same arguments.) For example when people are new to snakes they ask about cohabitating, and it is pretty much the same exact discussion as asking about eating 1200 calories a day. Threads about whether to feed snakes on substrate are constant, and are interchangeable with the 'what counts as water threads' here.

And then the old timers get sick of it and start making stickies and FAQs and get mad again when new people want to discuss it instead of just reading a FAQ. But the whole point of a discussion forum is to, you know, talk both ways. If people just want to read without having their own comments, they'd go to a blog or wiki or whatever else instead of a forum.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    In the past I have posted threads about finding a good fitting pair of jeans or healthy hair care (just casual stuff). Often no one will respond and then a few months later someone responds and it takes off. I'm happy when that happens because usually I still never got the info I was looking for (which was other people's personal experiences with clothing fit, hair care, etc), and since it was not of extreme importance it was not urgent. Sometimes an old thread gets bumped and I find it useful or entertaining. There are times when people should feel free to contribute to an old thread.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Solution: Ignore wankers.

*approved*

(But I'll still point out post necromancy when it happens...)
    Especially when the person that bumps the thread doesn't contribute anything new to it.

Or worse, says, "Why are you still complaining about this?" on a six month dead post.

That was rather legendary. I was disappointed that the person hurling that accusation never explained herself.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I may go find the oldest thread I can and bump it, just for fun.

Oldest one I could find - 11/03/05
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/26-what-makes-the-light-switch-go-off
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    We should all just go bump a bunch of old posts, so we can piss people off!

Funnily enough 1 was bumped that was 18 months old not so long back, and the guy who started the thread had deactivated his account about 1 month after posting it. He got more replies after the thread was bumped than he got when he first posted his question lol!

Well what about when mods dig up 3-month old threads, just to lock and delete them. Would anyone like to explain away THAT phenomenon?
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Threads, like fine wine, need ageing to reach a full, robust finish :tongue:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Nice!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I feel like I should bake you a cake now...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I feel like I should bake you a cake now...

I would like that
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    What is up with all of the people bashing people posting in old threads and then beating themselves up for it too? Is this just an internet etiquette issue that makes no sense in terms of functionality? I think so.

Why shouldn't people tack on to an existing thread if they want to bring the issue back up? Seems to make more sense than posting loads of duplicates threads where you can't keep all the info in one spot. If no one wanted to talk about it, they wouldn't respond to the bumping.

If it was that big of a deal, wouldn't MFP just delete old threads? I personally would rather see information consolidated than spread out in 5000 threads each about eating less than 1200 calories per day, 30 Day Shred, starvation mode, eating late, or drinking water.

INORITE???
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    This thread is ugly.

Who wants to bump uglies? :smokin:
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    154097d1292210017-how-autistic-you-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

so is there some report happy poster you're trying to axe here jof?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    If it was that big of a deal, wouldn't MFP just delete old threads?

Or get rid of the search function. In either case, whether a thread is resurrected or created new, shouldn't be an issue.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    You people are effing everything up! This thread is supposed to go away for 8 months.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I like this thread.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

Solution: Ignore wankers.

LMFAO
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    154097d1292210017-how-autistic-you-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

so is there some report happy poster you're trying to axe here jof?

Nope...at least not consciously.