Coconut, Almond or Reg. Milk

Options
I make a smoothe everyday for breakfast. I don't know which milk is better for you. I use 1 kind 1 week and than another the next week. The only thing is the price of the Coconut and ALmond milk are getting costly. Can anyone tell me which one is best to use?

Replies

• honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Whichever you prefer. Most people here will tell you to switch to almond milk because it has the fewest calories, but it is probably the least nutrient dense of all the types. I like it, but I don't think it's healthiest just because it's 40 calories.

Personally, I would say that organic low fat cow's milk is the healthiest if we're judging based on nutrient density. However, I don't drink cow's milk because it doesn't agree with me and I don't fancy the flavor.
  • Roxyann
    Options
    Thank you
  • dogetta
    dogetta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started using unsweetened coconut milk it has mct fats and its only 40-50 cals. I only have usually 1/2c a day but at $4 something a half gal or $2 something for the small boxs ya it can get pricey, Organic is expensive too. Skim milk cows is approx 7gm protein for the cals.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    We've been trying our best to get off of animal milk so we have used coconut, rice, and almond milks. We prefer the coconut and rice over almond.
  • HaywireII
    Options
    Sometimes I have to work to eat back my calories so I buy the Silk Dark Chocolate Almond milk because it has more calories. And so yummy. It might even be good for me...but...yummy....
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    personal preference...hubbs and I do coconut where the kids to almond...
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Regular 1% cow milk.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I switch up between soy, almond, rice and coconut. I am not a big fan of the rice (too watery). But my choice mostly depends on what's on sale! I do wish they all contained more nutrients, but since I can't have cow milk, this is all that I have to chose from. I don't usually buy the chocolate because of the sugar content, but I like it in my smoothies!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    if sugar is a concern, make sure you get the UNSWEETENED version of whatever you choose

I started on soy, tried almond but it was a bit too thick for my liking....I now drink So Delicious brand UNSWEETENED coconut milk....8 ounces a day in my morning protein everyday.... wish I discovered this years ago
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I also am a Green Smoothie'er. I use almond milk. I use a full cup and it gives my smoothie a wonderful creamy texture and I like the nutty flavor, which goes well with the one TBSP of homemade "peanut only" peanut butter I use for some added protein, and there's no way I'd use a cup of coconut milk, considering it would be a significant chunk of my daily calories. I seldom use dairy but I'm able to get significant calcium from multiple other sources, so I don't miss the cow's milk. It is simply an extra bonus that the unsweetened vanilla almond milk has only 30 or 40 calories depending on which one you buy. Whole Foods has an organic almond milk but they don't always have it in my area.

Edit: I hadn't heard of unsweetened coconut milk, so I'd have to try that to compare it with the almond milk, and look at the nutritional value as well.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    if sugar is a concern, make sure you get the UNSWEETENED version of whatever you choose

I started on soy, tried almond but it was a bit too thick for my liking....I now drink So Delicious brand UNSWEETENED coconut milk....8 ounces a day in my morning protein everyday.... wish I discovered this years ago

Yes. Agree to unsweetened. That's all I buy.
  • Roxyann
    Options
    Thank you to eveyone. I think I will stay with the coconut milk.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I prefer coconut milk, but usually get what's on sale or what I might have a coupon for - can get a bit pricey otherwise.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Real milk, preferably with fat. Don't buy into the pseudoscience.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and I do Silk's Soy Milk - the DHA-3 one. It's pretty yummy :)
  • Szkx45
    Szkx45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Vanilla coconut milk is my fav
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I like coconut milk and real milk.

Almond not so much, I don't really know why. I am not very interested in the milk beverage substitutes.

I was buying the light version of coconut milk for a while (canned) but I have now switched to coconut cream and using smaller amounts... the coconut cream has a better taste profile and I like it on hand for cocktails and curries.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I started using unsweetened coconut milk it has mct fats and its only 40-50 cals. I only have usually 1/2c a day but at $4 something a half gal or $2 something for the small boxs ya it can get pricey, Organic is expensive too. Skim milk cows is approx 7gm protein for the cals.

SOMEONE ELSE ON HERE KNOWS ABOUT MCT fats? /faints /dies
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Unless you are lactose intolerant, I'd say organic fat-free milk is the best choice. More protein and probably a little cheaper.