I get intimidated at the gym...

Options
I don't get too intimidated while doing cardio, but when it comes to the weight room its like I just want to run...not because I don't think I'm strong enough to lift some weights...but because everyone in there is either buff or super toned...and I'm...super not ! lol ... I always have it in the back of my mind that people are looking at me and it makes me so uncomfortable. What should I do??? I know I don't need to go pump a bunch of iron...I'm not trying to look like a man....I just want to burn some more calories and firm up my body...

Replies

• EricwStultz
    Options
    i feel the same way. I need to find a free weight buddy.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people thinking the same way as you and another large group that is obsessed with the way they look while they are "pumping iron". I found that 90% of the time while weight lifting no one even knows I exist.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I don't get too intimidated while doing cardio, but when it comes to the weight room its like I just want to run...not because I don't think I'm strong enough to lift some weights...but because everyone in there is either buff or super toned...and I'm...super not ! lol ... I always have it in the back of my mind that people are looking at me and it makes me so uncomfortable. What should I do??? I know I don't need to go pump a bunch of iron...I'm not trying to look like a man....I just want to burn some more calories and firm up my body...

Girl,
    Go in there like you own the place. And as a paying customer, you do own the right to be there and use the equipment.
    What goes on in other people's heads - you can't control. The only thing you can control is what is going on in your own head. And you might be surprised that the other buff users of the gym are probably so focused on their own workout that they probably don't even realize or care that you're there.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Stop being intimidated. Just get in there. No one there cares if you're new, unless you don't follow the basic gym rules. Honestly, everyone is just focused on what they're doing. And, if you need, help just ask someone. I usually suggest that you pick the biggest guy in the room, because he is very likely to be happy to help. Yes, it works.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just get on with your thing. You may think they are paying attention, but usually they are not - they have their own workout to focus on.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Honestly you should stop worrying and get your *kitten* in there!!! seriously there too busy watching themselves or chatting.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    They didn't get buff and toned by accident. At one point, they too were beginners. Jump in and train -- it's your birthright.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    best thing to do is walk in there and start curling in the squat rack, that's what all the cool people do. Do that and they'll accept you as their own.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The only time I am looked at in the weight section is when I am hogging the space and they want to use it. Too bad boys!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Somehow I dont think the guys mind you being around.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    How do you think they got there? Go lift and you will :heart: it. The results will be well worth your initial discomfort.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling and I wish I could be of more use to you :(.
    I'm lucky in the sense that the weights and the cardio are in the same room so even though the super toned people are over in the weights section you can always turn your head and have all the cardio people there as a sort of support if you like ... The only thing I can really suggest is to keep in mind that the buff people who you think are looking at you had to start somewhere and you could one day be the buff person ... if that makes sense ?
    Use these people as an inspiration not a set back :) I hope that helped
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I usually suggest that you pick the biggest guy in the room, because he is very likely to be happy to help. Yes, it works.
    Totally freaking works, even if you are almost 40 and it is 7am. Men are always happy to help a damsel in distress. Eyelash batting & hair twirling increases success.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Stop being intimidated. Just get in there. No one there cares if you're new, unless you don't follow the basic gym rules. Honestly, everyone is just focused on what they're doing. And, if you need, help just ask someone. I usually suggest that you pick the biggest guy in the room, because he is very likely to be happy to help. Yes, it works.

Seriously this ^^!! I was intimated for like 5 seconds and then realized everyone is just doing their own thing. No one is judging, and if so, who cares, we all start from somewhere! Some guys are even helpful when they see me trying to rerack some leftover weights, and I've gotten a few compliments even. Moral of the story - Get in there and lift heavy!! :bigsmile:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
    No one really cares about anyone else except themself, and the best thing about it is that you get to LOOK at all the boys with the super buff bodies (staring at themselves in the mirror) so the benefits are not only for your physical but also mental delight :)

I'm the fattest person in the weight room (at present) and I couldn't give a hoot what anyone else thinks.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Girl,
    Go in there like you own the place. And as a paying customer, you do own the right to be there and use the equipment.
    What goes on in other people's heads - you can't control. The only thing you can control is what is going on in your own head. And you might be surprised that the other buff users of the gym are probably so focused on their own workout that they probably don't even realize or care that you're there.
    kind regards,

Ben

^^ truth ^^
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Everyone get's that to varying degrees, I too get that social anxiety. Especially in the gym because you know that that everyone's got their body on their mind and their mind on the body. What I've found works best for me is just blaring my Ipod and try my best to think of absolutely nothing other than my workout. I won't even acknowledge some of the guys in their especially if you can tell they think they're hot *kitten*...Outa sight outa mind, I guess. If all else fails and it's really interrupting your ability to work out there, then maybe try a different gym with less meat heads or one that is open 24hrs, and just go at the slower hours. I do that alot too actually. One of the perks of Anytime Fitness is I can go anytime.
  • kelseynsport
    kelseynsport Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley,

If you want to burn calories/fat, then do cardio. If your gym has elipticals or incline treadmills do those. Its helpful to have either audiobooks or music to get you thru but for incline I walk 2.0 mph/variable incline 5-18% for 30 mins and you will burn over 280 cals. For the free weights, start with 10lbs and work your way up...weights are for toning, your gym has other equipment that will help you, ask someone to walk u thru and state your goals. Lastly, it is helpful to have a workout buddy - this is a good way to meet some folks at the gym, then go regularly or at the very least, just walk, walk, walk. You can do it. I'm 61 and I've lost 22 lbs since September, just taking it slow and watching my food intake via myfitnesspal.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I used to feel that way. I was convinced that some huge guy would come up to me and criticize me about my lifting. Want to know how many times that's happened? Exactly zero. Just get in the zone.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl who loves lifting weights at the gym. And 98% of the time, I'm the only girl over in the weight lifting area. I guarantee you, when I do see a another girl come in the weight area, the last thing I'm looking at is her. Everyone has to start somewhere. So, keep at it :) the only way you're gonna get looks is if you are not following gym rules and, more than likely, guys are going to look simply because they're impressed you're rockin' it solo!