Which do you find harder Elliptical or Treadmill??

Options
I ask because me and close friend are having a debate..

For me the treadmill is much harder than the elliptical.. I hate the treadmill with the passion..

She says the elliptical is harder for her..

She also claims that from what she saw in the gym she used to work at, you get a better calorie burn on the elliptical..

So for you out there....which is harder and which do you feel gives you a better workout??

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the treadmill's speed and incline. For me, walking on a treadmill is much, much easier than the elliptical. If I had the treadmill set to 6.0 with a 3% incline, though, I'd want to die.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE the elliptical - but I think it is because I am so short and the lenght of the stride is very uncomfortable for me. I also hate the dreadmill, but run it every workout unless the sun is out. I much prefer the dreadmill to the elliptical, but would rather run outside.
  • TLTucker80
    TLTucker80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think the treadmill is a lot easier then the elliptical. I do the treadmill everyday for an hour but I can't do the elliptical for 5 minutes.
  • TLTucker80
    TLTucker80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE I am so short and the lenght of the stride is very uncomfortable for me

I am also short and I never thought that it could be my stride that makes the elliptical so difficult for me ( I REALLY do not like the elliptical)
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I do the elliptical every time I go to the gym, I find the treadmill harder, I physically can not run, but walking on the treadmill is much harder than even doing a very intense workout on the elliptical, for me at least
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill! I CANNOT do the elliptical. After about a minute my legs are hurting too bad to keep going. I'd really love to though. I see people that look like they are going 100 mph on the elliptical and I know it would be an awesome workout. I just don't know why I can't do it!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and just hate the treadmill with the passion, I can do the elliptical so much easier.. I get bored on both but if I had to chose it would be that beast in my living room.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is harder for me for sure. Within 2 minutes on that sucker, my heart rate is over 180 and my exercise induced asthma kicks in.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hate the dreaded elliptical have no issues on treadmill even at incline but the elliptical kills me everytime, I just keep getting back on...
  • northfresh
    Options
    Treadmill because it is slightly more boring lol
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I can go on the elliptical trainer for a bit longer than I can run on the treadmill, so I guess that makes the treadmill a bit more difficult for me :)
  • beammcd
    Options
    Definitely the treadmill. This is really interesting I always just assumed it was harder for everybody. For me it is more of a sensation of running on pavement which I think is harder than the movement of my legs on an elliptical.
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    I personally think def the elliptical trainer. Use both machines and always burn heaps more cals (using hrm) on the elliptical.
  • freckledginger15
    freckledginger15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is definitely harder for me to do. I love the treadmill so much better. I used to be a runner in high school so I find that it's much easier for me to do. I've recently started a new run/jog schedule (shown in my blog) that I think would burn a lot of calories rather than the elliptical. But whatever works, I think it's basically a preference. There is no right or wrong :)
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I'm working harder on an elliptical. I'm a shortie too and tried out a couple to find one with a comfortable stride length for my short legs. Had to give up running on my treadmill because it was totally messing up my knees... I know they say elliptical arent 'functional training' but if rather do that then not be able to walk by the time I'm 40 lol...
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find treadmill harder for me, I'm not much a runner or jogger, it's easier for me to burn 500 cal per hour with elliptical than with treadmill
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical, however my feet start to burn after about fifteen minutes. Treadmill is borrring and only tolerable if I cover the timer with my towel lol.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    the treadmill is harder for me. everytime i walk, i get pains in my shins. i can only set the treadmill at a 3.0 speed and the highest incline i have done is maybe a 6 on the weightloss setting. i love the elliptical. i have one at home and use it at the gym. i get a higher calorie burn on it too. that is how i actually started to lose weight. i would do 15-20 minute sessions on my elliptical for a total of an hour a day. i did that for about a month until i got my gym membership. i set the elliptical on the weightloss setting as well with higher resistance and the cross ramp setting. it took time to build up to be able to do a half hour all at once. but even at 235 lbs, i can do it now. my sister in law will argue that the elliptical hurts her knees a lot. and it depends the model of the machines. our gym has 3 different models and i think its all a matter of preference.
  • HeartOfAFighter
    HeartOfAFighter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usta walk on the treadmill on trainer mode both down and inclined.
    The elliptical has always kicked my *kitten* every time lol but I love that about it-It's a challenge.
    I feel like it works my entire body, I get more drained on it than I do a treadmill.
  • Amlynnskie
    Amlynnskie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Elliptical by far!