27, pcos, needing to lose over 100 lbs- losing faith/hope.

Options

Replies

• nannycarole90
    Options
    Try the 5:2 fasting regime. 5 days normal eating and 2 days 500 calories. Easy to fit around your lifestyle .
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I can not recommend these videos highly enough:
    Kim Lyons Start Fitness Now: Sit Down & Shape Up 1
    Kim Lyons Start Fitness Now: Sit Down & Shape Up 2
    and
    Kim Lyons Start Fitness Now: Stand Up & Slim Down.

You can find them *super cheap* on Amazon, but they are no longer being produced. If you have trouble finding those, go to collagevideo.com. On the left side, click on "Specialty Videos," then "Seated exercise."

My husband can not walk faster than a liesurely stroll, and not for longer than about 10 minutes before his ankles hurt him too much. The Kim Lyons videos include ten minutes of walking type exercise, but you can do it all in your living room, and his ankles don't hurt him when he does them. I promise, if you get all three videos, do a 20 minute workout five days a week as she recommends, you will be able to walk in just a couple of months.

For me, it was my knees. If I overdo it, my knees start to really hurt. I tried to start out with a fast-paced Leslie Sansone video. My knees said NO. So I took a step back, did the Kim Lyons videos for a little while, and started walking outside on warmer days. That was a month ago. Today, I was able to jog for four minutes while I was out on my walk.

Build yourself up slowly, and DON'T GIVE UP ON YOURSELF!
  • boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey! PCOS/Insulin resistance here. I'm on Metformin (XR 1500) and the first 20 pounds came off pretty easy. I've really limited all carbs/alcohol/sweets and am struggling losing any more weight.
    Please feel free to add me. I need all the support/motivation/inspiration that I can get. :)
  • nikki801
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your replies. Ill try to getting around to them all.. Its been a difficult 24 hours. and seems as though this 24 hours wasnt any different. I have had several of you ask if i was on metformin my answer is no. I used to be but it never did anything for me. Other than allergic asthma, slight pain in my hands, and the pain and swelling in my legs when i walk especially in flip flops im pretty much fit as a fiddle. minus the fat of course.. No diabetes, no high blood pressure, no thyroid issues, and iv been tested by literally 10 or more drs about my fatigue. Even when i was 155 lbs, I was always tired. Im thinking its chronic fatigue. Other than my fat im not really depressed. So thats definitely not causing my fatigue.
  • suesnowflake
    Options
    I am also the heaviest I've ever been. Both my husband and I have gotten very overweight together. And now we are unable to have kids because of our weight. I also need as much help/motivation I can get. I am 30 now and weigh over 300lbs. At my smallest I was 188lbs and I was so happy to be at that weight. I too have always been overweight and continue to struggle with my weight. My goal is 150lbs.
    I know I can get there...I just need to stay motivated!
    One thing I have a hard time with is I am always hungry, ALWAYS! And I try to choose healthy foods and snacks, and to drink all my water. But some days are just hard. Anyone have suggestions for this?
    I work odd hours being a dialysis nurse. Some days I start work at 5am, some days 830am and sometimes noon. So I have a hard time scheduling my workouts. I know this is just an excuse I am using, but just wondering if anyone else has work scheduling conflicts? How do you work around this?
    Thanks for any suggestions/advice.
  • Szkx45
    Szkx45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

While I do not suffer from PCOS, I did have a 50 lb weight gain from the cancer meds I've been on since my breast cancer in 2009. No matter what I tried, I couldn't lose the weight and keep it off. I was depressed and tired. My friend introduced me to Shakeology and Beachbody DVDs. I cannot believe what a difference they've made. I lost 18 lbs in the first 6 weeks, and have lost a total of 30 lbs since August.

I have a private Facebook group that helps motivate and hold each other accountable. I also add in some fun tasks for points, and as extra motivation, I have prizes....not for the biggest loser but the most points earned during the month. My last group had a lot of fun,.

If anyone would like to know more, give me a private message. Would love to have any of you join our group!
  • Szkx45
    Szkx45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    PS....Shakeology got me out of my depression and gives me tons of energy! I love the chocolate!
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 with PCOS as well - also aiming to lose over 100 lbs... feel free to add me for encouragement and support!
  • mojoismyvice
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS too and I know it is a B**** I weighed myself yesterday and realised I had reached my heaviest weight ever too :( in the last 9 months i have put on almost 10kg that's about 22 pounds! i have always struggled with weight too, and used the PCOS as an excuse. BUT from now on i have decided it is not going to rule my life and you should too!

From what i have gathered, the best thing to do is to settle into a regular exercise plan- which is what I am working on AND EAT well!! (this is my biggest downfall) low GI foods are extremely necessary.

We can do this together :) I'll support you if you'll support me?
  • Kimber100683
    Kimber100683 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kim! WOW! I didnt realize there were so many out there suffering from PCOS also. So here is my story:
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2005 after trying to get pregnant for about 2 years. I tried Metformin for about 2 months but could not adjust to the digeestive issues! After doing some reasearch, I found that losing weight can contribute to getting pregnant if you have PCOS, so i started to diet and exercise and in February or 2009 I found out I was pregnant.My husband and I were so excited. In some way, I kind of felt like it would never happen. But, for whatever reason, I quit dieting and exercising, in May 2009 at 13 weeks, I went to the Dr. because I was bleeding bad. When they did the ultrasound, she never showed me the screen, didnt say anything, just kept taking pictures. After what seemd like 30 minutes, she placed her hand gently on my knee and said " I'm sorry, there is no heartbeat." I cried for 2 weeks. I'm welling up a little now just thinking about it. I blame myself for not taking care of myself better when I was pregnant. Which, I am still working on forgiving myself for. So, this year I turn 30! I still do not have children. All I know is that in 10 years of trying, I have known of being pregnant once.(At least I know it can happen). I want to be pregnant before I am 30! I really want this. And i know it starts with being healty. That's why I am here.
    It feels great to share my story with all of you. and to know that there are others who have felt the same way I have.
    Pleawse add me as a friend for encouragement and story sharring. It will be great motivation for me!
    Good luck to all of you on your journey to become a better you! Thanks for listening
  • Katrina_F
    Katrina_F Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki!

I know exactly where you are coming from. At my heaviest I was 297 a year and a half ago. Since then I've dropped 40 lbs but am still frustrated on a daily basis as I want results NOW. However, there are a couple of things I've found to help me out:

1.) My weight fluctuates daily. I am obsessed with my scale, BUT when I see the scale tip up 5 lbs I don't freak out as because of my obsession I know I naturally fluctuate that amount. I weigh myself morning and night to see the differences.

2.) Hold yourself accountable. I ALWAYS log everything I eat/drink (even the other night when I drank 3 bottles of wine which ended up pushing myself 1100 calories over my daily amount. OOPS haha). It's easier to eat something if you aren't seeing what it's actually putting into your body. I've replaced most snacks with fruits and vegetables. Sometimes a granola bar (which when I buy these I make sure to read the ingredients and the amount of sugar/fiber/carbs each bar has).

3.) The hardest part with going to the gym, actually getting up and going! Just DO it. Get in the car and drive. Once you get on that machine, push yourself. Start slow. 15 mins -> 30 -> 45 -> 60. The time FLIES. I now do an hour of cardio at least four days a week (I try to go 5) and 4 days of weights. Weight lifting can actually help burn calories even faster and will help the muscle tone up so that as the fat is lost you have lean muscle underneath.

4.) I also got a fitness watch with heart rate monitor to take to the gym with me. I always got frustrated when the machine would say I burned X amount and then the app would say I burned 2X. My fitness watch does the most accurate readings of how many calories I actually burned. Plus spending that money on it gives me an extra push as to why I have to go to the gym!

5.) Water water water! Cut out the juices and soda (as well as other sugars). When you first cut them out its hard, your body will CRAVE them. But you have to be strong! The end result is worth it.

6.) And lastly, Pinterest! I have found some great inspirational pictures (which I set as my background on my computer, iPhone and iPad) and recipes! I made the most delicious eggs in a ham basket the other day from a Pinterest pin and 4 servings was only 225 calories!

Keep your head up. If you slip a day, remember it's ONE day. Tomorrow is a new one. If you find yourself slipping more often than not, then try changing up routines and remember the end is worth the work!
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    hi! i have pcos, i have made a break through by doing the paleo/caveman/primal diet. it has changed my life. add me if you like!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Watch Forks Over Knives on Netflix. Eat to live.
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your replies. Ill try to getting around to them all.. Its been a difficult 24 hours. and seems as though this 24 hours wasnt any different. I have had several of you ask if i was on metformin my answer is no. I used to be but it never did anything for me. Other than allergic asthma, slight pain in my hands, and the pain and swelling in my legs when i walk especially in flip flops im pretty much fit as a fiddle. minus the fat of course.. No diabetes, no high blood pressure, no thyroid issues, and iv been tested by literally 10 or more drs about my fatigue. Even when i was 155 lbs, I was always tired. Im thinking its chronic fatigue. Other than my fat im not really depressed. So thats definitely not causing my fatigue.

Assuming you don't have insulin resistance, the only thing the met will do is make your ovaries more sensitive to insulin. It doesn't seem to help me lose, either, so I kind of go back and forth with being on it (probably not the best for me, but eh...). Don't wear flip flops, they are terrible for your feet/legs/back, get some supportive shoes. Judging by your previous comment about getting to 155 using phentermine, I'm guessing you may not have been getting enough nutrients to have a good energy level - make sure you're getting enough water, and work out, even if it's just for 10min/day at first. If you are physically capable and you choose not to do the work, you can only blame yourself. I had my first asthma attack when I was 4. All throughout elementary school and into my early teens, I would have given anything to be able to run and play like a "normal" kid, but I just couldn't without having serious trouble breathing. In my teens, I gave Advair a try and it changed my world in that I didn't have to reach for my rescue inhaler throughout the day. After each of my kids was born, my asthma got better, and now I can run miles and though I am in pain, I can breathe. So I always remind myself - if I can breathe, even if it hurts, I CAN do it. And if it hurts? That pain means I'm getting stronger. You can do it!

I'll be honest - I backslide all the time. I wish I was down 30lbs instead of 8. Hell, I wish I was still 10lbs down like I was 2 weeks ago. But you know what? I'll get there. Even if I backslide every other week, as long as I make progress, it's getting better.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS (just found out).... And I know how you feel. When I was overweight i felt confused about it- why couldn't I lose weight? I tried going raw. I tried lifting weights. I ran 3x's a week. Still fat. It must be hormones I said. Had my thyroid checked and was sad when I was told it was normal. That would have at least explained everything. I ate all organic. I tried creams, pills, cleanses. I was told I ate too many phytoestregens. Tried that diet.

Nothing worked!

Six years passed.

Then I found MFP, tracked what I ate and when I worked out. In half a year I went from "obese" to "normal" BMI. That was almost three years ago. I got my bf down to less than 20.

The fact was, I ate too many calories. Even organic vegan food can be too many calories.

Stick to the program here. Don't let it get too complicated. I was 100% dedicated to eating 1200 calories PLUS my exercise cals (maybe you need more than that- follow mfp's guidelines). If I wanted pizza, guess what? I had pizza. And I ran to burn off the extra calories. I gave myself credit for everything- cleaning the house counts. Walking counts.

If I can do it, so can you.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Awww, I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time:( Feel free to add me and i will do my best to help ya!
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki,

There are dietary treatments and nutrition interventions for PCOS. Be glad to help you. I am a Nutr. Professional.

Research has shown changing eating habits and getting more exercise helps to manage PCOS.

Moderate weight loss (5-10 percent of total body weight) can help normalize menstrual cycles, regulate blood sugar and increase a woman’s chances of conceiving a baby. Eating more whole-grain foods, fruits, vegetables, lean meats and low-fat or fat-free milk, cheese or yogurt can help lower your blood sugar, improve your body’s use of insulin and normalize hormone levels.

A healthy eating plan for women with PCOS includes:

Four to five meals or snacksevery day, including breakfast. Don’t skip meals.
    A variety of foods from all the MyPlate food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy. Moderate portions of healthy fats, like olive and canola oils, walnuts, almonds and avocados.
    Protein in all meals and snacks. Try nut butters, lean meats, fish, chicken, turkey and low-fat dairy products with all meals and snacks.
    Healthy beverages such as water, low-fat or fat-free milk or soy beverage or 100 percent fruit juice.

Physical Activity and PCOS

Regular exercise can help alleviate symptoms of PCOS. Get moving with at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity most days of the week. (For weight loss, additional physical activity may be needed.) Increase muscle mass with strength-training exercises at least two times a week.

Hope this helps!
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Another great source of helpful information would be this book, "The Dietitian's Guide To Polycystic Ovary Syndrome."

http://www.amazon.com/Dietitians-Guide-Polycystic-Ovary-Syndrome/dp/0615154565?tag=vig-20

And this website has lots of info that should help you out :)

http://www.pcoschallenge.net/pcos-workshops.html#pcos-nutrition
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    BREATHE....You are at the first stage of a long, yet powerful, journey. Many folks, have already, posted some wonderful words of encouragement. ~Do not despair, because only then will you lose hope.~

~ I understand the feelings and the emotions that you are suffering from, because I am a PCOS fighter, too. It is amazing what time, patience, and consistency will do to make one healthier.

BREATHE....Set small goals, don't rely on the scale, and be consistent in logging your meals and workouts.

~ Love yourself!!!:flowerforyou:

BREATHE....
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump