OMG I just binged!

Options
I am on week 5 and binged like crazy...at least 1200 cals worth! So i went over my daily cals by 800 at least!
I am so not proud...feeling sick now. I know I did it b/c my family and myself included are sick with influenza
and I'm just plain exhausted. The last 2 days was difficult trying to stay on track while being sick...but I did it
until this evening. Frick sakes! I don't wanna dwell on it, but at the same time I don't want to let my brain know
that this behavior is the exact reason I am overweight. I will pick myself up tomorrow...i know I will.
Would love some support right now!
TIA

Replies

• wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Remember, you aren't going to be perfect all the time. Just one day won't undo all you're hard work. You've been doing great. Just keep on your journey. You are going to be great!
  • MyEbonyEyes
    Options
    It happens to us all! Start fresh tomorrow! You can do it!!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    There's always tomorrow!

That's what I tell myself after I binge. It definitely motivates me to eat healthier the next day.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Don't kick yourself. We all have those times where we're sick and tired and go over calories. Ginger ale can be my best friend and worst enemy at times like those. The important thing is that one day doesn't make you stop the journey. Try again tomorrow and do your best and just chalk up today as one bad day amongs many, many good days.
  • kkaycam
    kkaycam Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    it's only Friday.. Try eating right throughout the weekend or do a cleanse and get back to it on Monday! Good luck :D We're all rooting for you.
  • tamoli1973
    Options
    You can get back on track tomorrow. Besides with your illness your body probably needed the extra calories to fight it off. Hang in there. Don't give up! I will say a prayer for you tonight.
  • jessiwithaneye
    jessiwithaneye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating, I know, but not an uncommon reaction to stress and exhaustion. You recognize that it's not a healthy response, so that's a step in the right direction. :) I'd say that having an imperfect and human moment sometimes is forgivable and part of the learning process.
    Get some rest and feel better soon!
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One day like that is not a big deal. Just don't let it turn into 2, 3 or more days! Lighten up on your calories and increase your activity by just a little bit each day this week and you will have made up the difference and won't even see this register. Hang in there, we've all been there!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, one day alone will almost certainly not undo a week of progress. Even if you went over by 800, you would have to do that for at least FOUR days to be a pound. Granted, this isn't a suggestion to do this three more times, but just trying to put it in perspective. If you get right back to it, then this one day will be meaningless to the overall plan. However, if you use it as an excuse to "throw in the towel" and give up, then yes, this one day will be significant.

All that said, if you find yourself in this situation often, or if you feel like you're struggling, give careful consideration to your calorie goal. It is fairly common for people to make ambitious choices when setting up their MFP account and find themselves in a less-than-ideal deficit. Slow and steady to the goal will always be better than too-much-too-fast-and-failed.
  • lynnymcc
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I know it's done, I can't do anything about it. Thought journaling my feelings might help!
    Or just even writting all the food down to see what I was shoving into my body...it's crazy when you go mindless with food!
    It actually coulda been worse tho...i guess!
    THanks so much everyone...i love the support here!
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If your sick with the flu, then yes you will be hungry as your body is working to heal. You will be fine and the additional energy may help to ward off the bug.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    what is your daily calorie goal?

also, remember you are in a deficit...you probably ate close to maintenance for a day...no big deal

and you were sick...dont be so hard on yourself...no need to be perfect
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am about 1000 over today too. For like..... the first time ever (that I have realized). And it feels terrrrrrrible, and I'm not even referring to "guilt" but I don't know what to DO like I feel super sick yet the cookies are calling from the kitchen yet my gut (ha..) tells me if I go for a power walk I'll feel better..... I know I've learned my lesson. That's what counts I think.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I know it's done, I can't do anything about it. Thought journaling my feelings might help!
    Or just even writting all the food down to see what I was shoving into my body...it's crazy when you go mindless with food!
    It actually coulda been worse tho...i guess!
    THanks so much everyone...i love the support here!

Yeah I journal too and I find it super helpful. Also it's so nice to look back on days where I've made good choices and went to sleep happy. Nice for comparison I mean....
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    And if your goal is to lose 1 lb/week, your target gets you a 3500 calorie deficit for the week. Being 800 over one day means you'll lose 3/4 of a pound instead of 1 lb.

Don't stress. You're fine. Breathe. Keep going. You've got this.
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think when we are sick our bodies so screwed up it's hard to know what it wants or needs. I get this way when I'm so tired and if too tired food is not an option it wants sleep.

Don;t feel bad just get right back on track soon as you can and get to feeling better! : )
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you are active, 2000 calories is likely close to your maintenance amount. Thus, don't feel anxious about it. Even if it's a little over your TDEE, I doubt it would be by much.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Mama said there'd be days like this ...

I'm pretty sure you're fine. Get back on track tomorrow and don't sweat it. One day won't make a difference. It's what we do over the long term that matters.

Oh that reminds me, I was like 1000 kcal over goal (all of them in potato chips ... yep) last Sunday (surprise!) and I still lost weight. Why? Cause I did the right thing the other days of the week. Ta-daa. :smile:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. When you are SICK... focus on GETTING WELL... When you have the FLU, a calorie deficit is not what your body really needs! Eat and don't feel ashamed... In fact, be liberated in that FOOD is serving YOU rather than food DRIVING you.

2. If you went over by 800 calories and you have a 1 pound per week loss estimated in your program, you actually only had a surplus of 300 calories. I find that if I eat a significant overage once in a while, it may actually serve to help my goal rather than hurt. Keeps the old metabolism up... Understand that there is a balance in all things.

Get well and don't stress over eating. There is plenty of time for all that.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off.. Tomorrow is a new day.. :)