Best HRM for really, really, really morbidly obese?

Options
My husband wants a heart rate monitor, but is concerned that it won't be able to find a pulse under his "thick layer of fat jiggly man boobs." (His words, not mine, and I don't think he has gynecomastia at all. But you know how it is- we are all our own worst critics.)

ANYWAY!

He is very large, and I understand the heart rate monitors all come with a band around your chest. Do you know of any that are designed specifically for people with 51+ body fat percentage? Or do they make a good, reliable one that you can put on another pulse point, such as neck or wrist?

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I just measured- he is 52 inches around the chest. The largest measurement I can find on Amazon is one that has a 40 inch chest strap. Even if he was a long-time anorexic, my husband could not fit into a 40 inch chest strap! His RIBS are large than that!

PLEASE tell me that someone, somewhere makes a HRM for people with larger chests!
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This might work

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bluetooth-Smart-Heart-Sensor/dp/B007S088F4

I am a "fluffy" dude as well with 51% body fat.I want to lose weight also... I currently use Schwinn 870 (can't find it to purchase where I look). The strap is a "soft" strap can stretch. The Polar H7 is for "smart phones" Another option would be a wrist hrm

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-RS300X-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B001W93YDS/ref=sr_1_11?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1360387121&sr=1-11
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    Thanks so much! It can be such a huge pain in the butt to find things for him sometimes!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this electrode cream really helps the sensor stay connected. http://www.amazon.com/Buh-Bump-2-5-Ounce-Heart-Monitor-Electrode/dp/B000HZD2NU/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_y
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I know there are some that detects the radial pulse...you could look into those.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My polar HRM has a really long chest strap, and it's elastic.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    He sounds like he's about my size.

Is there a specific reason he wants the HRM?

If he just wants a tracking tool to gauge his progress there are less expensive options.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    He sounds like he's about my size.

Is there a specific reason he wants the HRM?

If he just wants a tracking tool to gauge his progress there are less expensive options.

^^^^This. He should get moving and develop a good consistent workout routine. Add in the eating at a deficit and no HRM necessary.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    His blood pressure has always been an issue, and we're worried about him having a heart attack. When we were going to the gym, he would always use the bike, and his heart rate consistently shot up into the "danger" zone. We want to keep him at a safe level.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    could you maybe sew an extension onto the elastic?
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    It sounds like he should probably start with walking and just try increasing his pace and the length of his strides.

An HRM won't save you from an arythemia. If he really wants to push the cardio he should get a stress test done first; under a Dr.'s supervision, and then follow a very specific training routine as prescribed.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    His blood pressure has always been an issue, and we're worried about him having a heart attack. When we were going to the gym, he would always use the bike, and his heart rate consistently shot up into the "danger" zone. We want to keep him at a safe level.

The fact that the heart rate went into the "danger zone" is not necessarily a problem. There are a number of people who have max heart rates that are 20-30 beats/min above the "age-predicted" formula, so they will naturally have a higher than average HR response to exercise.

What you really need is to have him evaluated by a cardiologist who is also knowledgeable about exercise. Trying to find one can be a crap shoot since the doctors often don't know what they don't know, and the patients don't know what questions to ask.

Another option would be to find a medically-supervised exercise program where they might provide periodic heart rate and blood pressure monitoring as well as some supervision during the exercise. Something like that will have a cost, and you can run into the same problems as the cardiologists if the staff is made up of medical personnel with limited education in exercise science.

The third option is to just go at a low-level pace, either waking or on a bike, and gradually increase the duration. Walking, even at a brisk pace, is pretty safe, With enough time, duration of exercise, and diet, he may be able to achieve some weight loss that could reduce some of the symptoms and then feel safer and more comfortable moving to a little higher intensity.

I would check out some community education programs and see if you can't get some professional guidance. I am reasonably certain that, with some observation and guidance, your husband could exercise safely and effectively, but it's hard to be more specific without observing him directly.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have a polar Ft7 w chest strap
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There are companies offering HRM that use the wrist pulse, skin textures and I have even seen some that are build into earbuds. Not to mention individual watch and wearable devices.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just want to respond the the comments that he could just walk and doesn't need to exert himself enough to use a HRM. I'm morbidly obese and I just started out walking a month ago and in one month, my HR went from the 190s during walks to the 160s. That was really wonderful to see and I think there are clear benefits from monitoring one's HR.

I also agree with comments that the "danger zones" on charts are guides and might be higher or lower for an individual. I would also suggest having a medical clearance before becoming more involved in cardiac exercise.
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    I just want to respond the the comments that he could just walk and doesn't need to exert himself enough to use a HRM. I'm morbidly obese and I just started out walking a month ago and in one month, my HR went from the 190s during walks to the 160s. That was really wonderful to see and I think there are clear benefits from monitoring one's HR.

I also agree with comments that the "danger zones" on charts are guides and might be higher or lower for an individual. I would also suggest having a medical clearance before becoming more involved in cardiac exercise.

I don't mean to imply there is no benefit, I'm just saying it's not a necessity before starting to exercise as long as you start slowly and focus on building a habit.