HIIT Training / Tabata Training / Max HR

Options
HELLO EVERYONE! I'm hoping someone can answer and help me =) ok, so I've been doing HIIT training but has anyone done or is doing TABATA Training? It's 20 secs. high intensity (Max HR) followed w. 10 secs of rest; repeat. 8 sets, BOOM 4 minutes, & done! BUT what kind of workouts would qualify? & it's getting harder to hit my Max HR since i've been going ham on my cardio so what do you do to achieve your Max HR? Elliptical can not get me there fast enough. so far the treadmill @ 8.0 but it's still slow to getting to my Max HR. any suggestions other than a machine? SHARE YOUR WISDOM!!! thank you!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    IMO it's easier to go all out OFF a machine rather than on it. you can do stair runs, hill sprints, jump rope, jumping squats, jumping lunges, burpees, suicides, jumps on a plyo box..
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Tabata is just another HIIT method. My understanding is that it's no better or worse than any other HIIT method and there's been vary little scientific studies comparing differing HIIT protocols. Most studies to date just compare HIIT to steady state cardio. The original Tabata study was done using bikes I believe, so if you are set on using machines, a stationary bike is probably your best bet.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I do tabata training on a spin bike, and even though I have great endurance, it gets me to my max. I'll do 8 sets of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off to finish off my workout. I have to seriously crank the resistance to get to this level. My legs stop moving completely on the rest, that's how intense the resistance is.

I can never get to my max heart rate on an elliptical machine. They're just not really designed for hiit. Sounds to me like you've progressed beyond the workout/machine you're using. That's a good thing!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    i found some on youtube
  • graceangelina
    Options
    I do tabata training on a spin bike, and even though I have great endurance, it gets me to my max. I'll do 8 sets of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off to finish off my workout. I have to seriously crank the resistance to get to this level. My legs stop moving completely on the rest, that's how intense the resistance is.

I can never get to my max heart rate on an elliptical machine. They're just not really designed for hiit. Sounds to me like you've progressed beyond the workout/machine you're using. That's a good thing!

Thanks! that's a great idea =) I usually dislike the stationary bike b/c i can't do it for a long time but with Tabata, that would be perfect. Thank you for the suggestion. That would help change up my workouts so my body won't adapt to them.
  • graceangelina
    Options
    @meshashesha20 - Thank you for your suggestion too. Just like Instanity moves but up a notch. I'd use those moves for the workout when I'm at home and at the Gym.

@cordianet - Thanks for the input. so 30 min of HIIT and 4 min of Tabata have the same benefits on metabolism and fat burning even with the time difference right?

@Monica_has_a_ - Thanks! I'll use youtube as a resource too.
  • NachoEverydayChick
    Options
    I do it on the treadmill after lifting, and I set the speed now between 9.7 and 10.3. You might need to just go faster. It's BRUTAL if you're doing it right. I warm up with an easy run (for me) around 6.5 for 5 minutes, Tabata1 ~9.7 (4 mins) then 2 minutes of walking, Tabata 2 @10.3 for 4 minutes, then finish it out with a run or walk, depending on how close to puking I am for 5 minutes. If you're not close to puking, you're not going fast enough.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Burpees
  • notthatthis
    Options

ROFL - gym ellipticals are more than capable of getting you to MaXHR and the resistance setting I have seen professional cyclists unable to move the pedals on an elliptical. I do HIIT all the time on ellipticlas, in fact the Life Fitness Machine at level 17 set at 4 minutes for Intervals gives an almost perfect Tabata set, that's the model at my gym and I do not know which it is but I belelive the programs are universal to the Life Fitness world.

Tabata is not MaxHR btw, it is VO2 Max at 170% - and can only really be conducted in a laboratory and alongside fairly hefty solid state cardio training. It is nice that people think they can get fit in 4 minutes, but you cannot, the 4 minutes should be a precursor or ending part of an aerobic/anaerobic session.

Please google the "Tabata Myth" and you will also see that it is 4 * 4 minutes with 1 minute rests between sets.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Run faster!