exercise ahh!

Options
So heres my problem, i am one who loves the gym (cant go because of money and no babysitter), loves to do tv workouts, but I NEVER seem to have the time or energy anymore, I have a 1 and 2 year old and the one doesn't ever go to bed till almost midnight (she fights me) my other goes to bed at 7pm and wakes at 5 or 6, and it just seems like no matter what i get no chance to exercise and then when i do im just so exhausted for dealing with my daily routine. what can i do?! i get about average of 5 hours of sleep a night. :yawn:

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    As a young mother, you have to carve out time for yourself or you will end up even tireder and more overweight (been there, done that). IF you like doing TV workouts, you are going to have to make yourself commit to doing just 1 a week, then 2 a week, then 3 a week. You WILL feel more energized once you complete a workout; that I promise! With a 1 year old and a 2 year old, you should be able to place them in a playpen or crib, once they are fed and diapered, and leave them there long enough to work out. I encourage you to make time for yourself, because if you are healthier you will be a better parent and spouse because of your increased energy level and sense of well being. Please make time to do what is good for you! It will be good for your family too! Don't procrastinate or make excuses, just adopt the Nike slogan and "Just Do It"!
  • HannahMarie65
    Options
    man, that sounds rough! but try fitting in excersise in small places. Like maybe going for a walk with the family or playing outside with your kids. Even if you cant fit in a whole hour workout, just do twenty minutes of something like cardio or kickboxing, something that burns alot of calories in a short amount of time. Hope this helps a little :)
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    do you go to work or you a stay home mom? The only thing I can suggest is to find a way to incorporate some exercise in your daily routine. If you go to work maybe find a way to walk on your lunch break and if you stay at home put the kids in a stroller and go for a walk. I used to take my son to the mall to walk--part of it he would be in the stroller and I would try to brisk walk then and when he was out of the stroller we walked together. Maybe go up and down your steps at home several times here and there throughout the day, every little bit counts. And time to be the boss in your house and get that baby to bed before midnight!!! I can't imagine how stressful that must be. I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old, but they go to bed between 8 and 9 and sleep until 6 or 7. Also, sometimes when I am just not in the mood to exercise I make myself and within 5 minutes or so I get into the workout. Sometimes that energy creates more energy and I feel so much better afterwards. I hope you can figure something out, even if you can get in 10 minutes here and there it all adds up.
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    I agree with the above posts! Cutting out some time for you is so important. I have a young daughter myself, who loves to play. There is always something that needs to be done in the house, or when they are sleeping all you want to do is sleep! Try in the morning when they have eaten and are content for a while, pop in a video or watch a TV work out. It may only last for 10 minutes before one of them is up and running or crawling away, but that's 10 minutes you didn't have before. I also love taking my daughter and our dog for a walk. Even if it's just around the corner, they love it and it gets me up and moving rather then just doing normal house work.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    May God bless you and your little ones. Motherhood is so challenging. I would first look to see what you can do to get a little more sleep. Maybe for the one who goes to sleep at 7 you could try bathing him at 7 instead so that he/she goes to be at 8 and for the fighter, do what you can to establish a nice bedtime routine. Is she fighting it because she wants to be near you or because she isn't tired? If she wants to be near you it might be better to keep her near you...if she isn't tired maybe you could try waking her up earlier so that she naps earlier etc. If you could shave off an hour on each kids schedule that would give you 7 hours and that is an improvement.

Then I would look at ways of excercising with the kids. It is so hard to push them aside. So try something with them Put them in the stroller and go. or lift weights by lifting them... do push ups by tickling their bellies each time you come down, etc. Check out some DVD's from the library that are for baby and me.

This might not be the right advice for you but think out of the box and get creative. Instead of looking at what you can't do try looking at what you can do and know that every little bit counts.

D
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I agree put them in a playpen and crib try and do it at the same time each day. I know you said you couldn't afford a gym but La Fitness the one I go to has child care at the gym. Get a double stroller and take them for walks
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Well I can honestly say this was always my problem. I let myself slide to the bottom of the pile always and ended up fat, unhealthy and unhappy. So my advice is to first work on getting those babies into a sleep routine, which is hard I know....I have 4 kids! But you'll be thankful after all the crying stops and they go to bed regularly. If that just doesn't happen, then yes I strongly agree that you need to make time for you. When you're husband gets home, take 20 or 30 minutes and go for a jog, a walk, a run, anything. As Bob Harper says on Biggest Loser, the best gym is right outside your front door and it's free. But it's very important that you make some time. You could also try working out to a dvd while they play. I hope this helps you out some! I know what you're going through though! :flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'd put the one year old in the playpen and let the 2 year old bounce around the living room with you. I sometimes get my exercise from dancing with my 2 1/2 year old :) She loves it and it makes exercise fun because she is soooo funny when she dances, so I get calories burned from laughing too! lol
  • sherennedell1
    Options
    I have a 5 year old, 2 year old and a 6 month old and I take the stroller when i get the chance and walk down to my son school which is about a 2 min walk both ways. and they come with me but weather here isn't always kind but I eventually get my 2 year old to sleep and my 6 month old to sleep at the same time (don't ask how I do it it just happens) and me and my oldest sometimes go out and play catch for a while. This week we have plans that my neighbor watches my other two for about 45 min while I take my sons bike down to his school along with mine and we ride home. I might even take him up to the local convinence store up the street to get him a slushy and then ride back. I know its hard being a mom I wonder how I have any time at all I manage about on average 2 to 5 hours a sleep a day and i take naps. sometimes with the kids. And I work. But its managable. Got a stroller use it I do.
  • sherennedell1
    Options
    I meant to say 20 min both ways. not 2...
  • Diaz07fam
    Diaz07fam Posts: 43
    Options
    well i do alot of cleaning, and i do go for walks, but i dont feel that is good exercise for me beings i have alot to lose you know, and as for the playpen i wish i could do that but i have two monkeys seriously my kids are wonderful but they are work my one year old climbs out of ANYTHING and under and over and my two year old shes usally occupied but quiet mean TROUBLE, i spend most of my day making food, changing butts, and cleaning up. so i am moving i dont just sit around hardly at all when i lay in my bed at night its the best thing in the world, peace and quiet. but exhausted and stressed and everything else just makes me nuts, and as the the one who goes to bed at midnight, shes does not usually even nap for me, she just wants to play and play and play!!!! and they share a room so i cant just put her in there or she wakes the baby and makes it even worse. so uggggh im trying to figure it all out....
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I have to work out late at night because my three kids won't go to bed. Do you have a double stroller? That helps me out a lot. Whenever I want to take the kids to the park I walk there instead of drive. Its probably a mile and a half walk round trip and plus I am pushing about 95 pounds of kids and a stroller. I am an awful morning person but sometimes whenever I get up I do a 20 minute LeslieSansone work out. I do it with my kids there watching me. They try to do it with me. I was also considering getting a bicycle and getting one of those kid carts that attach to the back. It is really hard when the kids are really young and you need to lose weight. Doing whatever you can is the best you can do. You are already changing your eating habbits and that is great. Sometimes these things take time work themselves out. It hasn't really worked out for me yet. I am like a hyena. I scavenge for workout times and take whatever I can. Talk to me anytime. I really do understand.
  • Diaz07fam
    Diaz07fam Posts: 43
    Options
    yeah i do go for walks and im in the moutains so nothing is really close? but i do walk the kids and dog and i have a kart for the back of the bike and a crappy bike that sucks i need a new one but when i went to ride soon as i get out my lane there is a big hill and i cant for the life of me get up it with the bike when i walk its easier but just to get to the top im like exhausted, but i do like to do that just have to watch for thoes crazy drivers on the road. but thanks for the encouragement and advice i do need a kick in the *kitten* sometimes. :smile:
  • fietsdebbie
    fietsdebbie Posts: 37
    Options
    Good luck - having the little guys makes it hard. It was hard for me when my kids were little but I found a Jazzercise class that had babysitting and was only $10 per session, including babysitting. I did that once a week and it kept me sane. Walks in the afternoon were also something I craved - I had a double stroller and everyday at about 1:30 we were out for a walk regardless of the weather, unless it was dumping rain. I have a friend who got her 2 year old hooked on doing exercise videos with her. She really encouraged her little guy to do the exercises with her and he totally went for it. He would even be pushing for them when she didn't want to! Talk about motivation... Anyway, I hope you find some solutions and are able to get some sleep! Good Luck.