this is STARTING to get hard...

Options
its starting to get hard and its only my second day! i am wanting to eat just because im bored but then i start to actually think im hungry what can i do?!

Replies

• 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary....How much many calories are you eating per day?
  • RaeLanier
    Options
    my limit isw 1360.... today i exercised so my limit went up to like 1600 but today i had 1378
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Distract yourself, if it's boredom eating! Find something to do - go for a walk or bike ride (burns calories), go clean something (eg. the bathroom, and get stuck into all the little fiddly bits around the shower door), get yourself a good book and sit down for half an hour, learn a new hobby. If it's in the evening, go to bed earlier (unless it's ridiculously early!); you feel so refreshed in the morning!

I eat when I'm bored, but I find that having something to do, like the above helps with this. Stick with it, you are creating new habits, so that takes time!
  • groke101
    Options
    Try drinking water or tea, chewing gum, exercising, distraction, or have an early night and start again in the morning.
  • Tiareness
    Options
    I am in the same frame as you...I went off the first week but thankfully was able to lose weight. Now in the 2nd week only 2 more days left and I haven't exercised or logged my diet for about 3 days because I lost focus.
  • RaeLanier
    Options
    those are actually GREAT tips!! i think i will pick up a book :) . and i am awake real late because my newborn son is awake around this time so iv adjusted to his schedule :/
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    its starting to get hard and its only my second day! i am wanting to eat just because im bored but then i start to actually think im hungry what can i do?!

oranges, bananas, apples.

have these on hand so that when you get "hungry" you have something to snack on.

you'll get past this. for most people it takes a week or two. when i started, i had to cut out the simple carbs only because they didn't fill me up for long and made me hungry again relatively quickly. these are foods like breads and pastas.

also, sometimes a nice tall glass of water is enough to take away that false sense of hunger.

PS - i was really tempted to post a Michael Scott from the Office meme due to your thread title, but i resisted... see, willpower works! :wink:
  • RaeLanier
    Options
    I was the same way girl but WE CAN DO THIS!! its actually real exciting for me to log my food because its almost like competitive for me like i have to stay under my calorie limit and if i find my limit running low and i havent had dinner i will exercise to get a few back and have a healthy dinner but eat nothing els the rest of the night. dont get discouraged your going to look great at the end of your journey!
  • Cherry_star
    Cherry_star Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you're bored, you head will automatically go to food, so keep busy. Drink plenty of water, often we're not hungry but dehydrated. And if you're craving sweet things, try brushing your teeth,it helps! Oh and one more thing, it does get easier, honest! x
  • RaeLanier
    Options
    thank you so much everyone for your comments i feel alot better and i DID NOT eat anything ! :) but i did drink some water... it was hard for me because we spent some time at a friends watched them ear churches chicken... spaghetti... oreos...and my husband just ate hotwings (my favorite) right in front of my face haha but i feel sleepy and i am going to bed satisfied because i stuck to my calorie intake. woo hoo! thanks every one so much

its amazing how just a little bit of motivation and support will truly help us through our journeys!
    have a great weekend girls!!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise calories back then!
  • RaeLanier
    Options
    i feel like if i eat them back then i exercised for nothing....
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It is hard. If you have a weight problem it will always be a challenge. A few suggestions, eat less processed food...whole foods take longer to digest. Drink more water....sometimes thirst can be seen as hunger. Find something to do with your hands besides eat.....crochet, knit, paint you nail....whatever. Go find an activity you like....bike ride, skate, peewee golf....get your mind off of food.
    Figure out what triggers you to eat....my triggers are being overtired and being bored. Now I go to bed earlier and I find something to challenge my mind (definately not TV)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

You exercise for health, cardiovascular fitness and strength. MFP already creates a deficit for you in which you'll lose weight exercise or not, exercising increases this (not always a good thing) and so you get more food to compensate.

If you want to create a deficit with exercise (some people prefer this) then that's fine, but I'd up your basic calories, so it's more close to what maintenance would be if you didn't workout.

Being able to eat well, and not worry so much about going over the 1360 if you've exercised will make it a lot easier for you :)
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

I used to think like that until someone pointed out to me that MFP has an automatic deficit whether you exercise or not! Thats the best bit about using the settings here, you get to eat them back without damaging your loss! Just view the exercise calories as extra's you have earned. The automatic deficit will lose the weight for you and the exercise will change your body.

**Heidi beat me to it...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat those exercise calories back. You are already at a deficit, it was factored in when you joined. You are making this hard on yourself and this is why so many others have failed.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

1. Put your son in the pram and go for a walk in your neighbourhood (if it's safe to do so).

2. Visit a neighbour or call one to come over. Have a diet soft drink or tea or coffee together and talk about your goals.

Regards,
    Best wishes.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Don't give up even if you go off track for a day!! Get right back on MFP. I find that weighing myself every morning and putting in food I will have for day really helps. I have to add to food intake if I eat more or different from what I said I would eat. Also, weighing myself helps me stop binging or eating too much as I know I will have to "face the scale" in the morning. If I am going to eat, I get out of kitchen, take a bath, relax and even sit in bed and watch TV.

Just remember - Nothing tastes as good as feeling thin!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If doing it that way is hard on you...you can try the road map way:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I would wait and give it a few weeks the way you are doing it first through. And yeah, eat back your exercise calories if you are doing it as per MFP.

I found that way didn't work for me. I was grumpy, and pissed off all the time and then I found the above link and everything is great. With the road map you just eat a set amount of calories every day. You have to do what works for you. For some, the MFP way works. For others, the road map works.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat those exercise calories back. You are already at a deficit, it was factored in when you joined. You are making this hard on yourself and this is why so many others have failed.
    Yes, make sure you're eating enough! Are you breastfeeding? If so, you really need to eat more. I was at something like 1340 and was overeating on weekends, grumpy, anxious, tired etc. I used TDEE- 20% calculator and bumped myself up to 1670 (I breastfeed and exercise) Here's the link, it's the best way to figure things out: http://iifym.com/calculators/tdee-calculator/
    And of course, educate yourself as much as you can. Knowledge is power. Stay positive! You can do it :)