what to do after a binge????

Options
So I just came off of a very bad binge, after eating well for about two weeks . Is there any advice you can give me for detoxing or jump starting my metabolism to get back on track?

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    For me, just waiting until I'm hungry again does the job. :)
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Log it all and maybe try pre-logging a bit more to avoid the temptation.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    Go back to eating healthy and stay within your calorie limit. Don't detox or try to jump start your metabolism. Don't freak out and try to overcorrect or you will just end up binging again. Just get back on the track you were on before the binge.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Go back to eating healthy and stay within your calorie limit. Don't detox or try to jump start your metabolism. Don't freak out and try to overcorrect or you will just end up binging again. Just get back on the track you were on before the binge.

Agreed.

No detoxing or restricting. Terrible, terrible idea. I also recommend you eat more - you probably could afford to. Where did you get the number of 1380kcal?
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Get back to it- but at a healthier calories allowance. From what I've seen on FL people who've restricted themselves down to 1200 are the ones that end up bingeing and going off the rails. Set yourself on the 1lb a week option you'll find you can treat yourself every so often even without doing any exercise and thus keep you from bingeing again. Also, something I remind myself of alot, it's a marathon not a sprint :3
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    One day will not derail your progress....start fresh and get back on track tomorrow.
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Agreed.

No detoxing or restricting. Terrible, terrible idea. I also recommend you eat more - you probably could afford to. Where did you get the number of 1380kcal?

That's the number they gave me when I plugged in my goal here. I try to consume between 1200 and 1300. 1300 on workout days.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the treadmill asap and drink a detox tea. The next day, I do a detox eating plan such as only lean protein and green veggies with lots of water which usually helps to flush some of the carbs and sugar out of my system.
  • lauramacaroni
    lauramacaroni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try following this plan on setting your target calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I tried to follow the MFP guidelines & I discovered it wasn't enough calories for me and my weight loss actually stalled. Once I followed these recommendations and began eating a little bit more, the weight began to steadily decrease. It's not a miracle, but it's some good basic advice. Good luck!
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do you log all your food? I noticed that the last days just before your hunger attack you weren't eating all your calories. That could explain the hunger, turning into a binge. As the others said, don't feel guilty, maybe log as much as you can of yesterdays food, and start fresh today. By the way, I realized a "silly" thing this morning. We are all eating at a deficit for calories. So, once you have logged in as much as you can of yesterday, compare it not to the MFP calories suggested, but to your real daily calorie requirement! That could help feeling less bad about the extra food. And, considering you are already eating at a loss, it would explain why eating so few calories in the last days trigged a serious hunger attack!

Hope this helps :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Agreed.

^^agreed also.

I don't so much have an issue with the target - the issue is that you are not eating to that target and are not eating any exercise calories back either therefore creating a very large deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the treadmill asap and drink a detox tea. The next day, I do a detox eating plan such as only lean protein and green veggies with lots of water which usually helps to flush some of the carbs and sugar out of my system.

How do you flush carbs and sugar out of your system?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the horse & try not to beat yourself up about it. I ended up eating half a box of cereal today just kept munching on it - which isn't completely horrible, but oh well.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I just a had a binge, for the first time in over a month. And you know what, i'm gonna suck it up and just go back to normal tomorrow :) You can to. Its the best thing you can do :)
  • seahorse29
    Options
    Do you log all your food? I noticed that the last days just before your hunger attack you weren't eating all your calories. That could explain the hunger, turning into a binge. As the others said, don't feel guilty, maybe log as much as you can of yesterdays food, and start fresh today. By the way, I realized a "silly" thing this morning. We are all eating at a deficit for calories. So, once you have logged in as much as you can of yesterday, compare it not to the MFP calories suggested, but to your real daily calorie requirement! That could help feeling less bad about the extra food. And, considering you are already eating at a loss, it would explain why eating so few calories in the last days trigged a serious hunger attack!

Hope this helps :-)

+1 My experience too. Sometimes on busy days especially when I am feeling good, I don't feel like eating much and don't take in enough calories. The next day or maybe two days after, I find I really crave fats and sugar ...
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So I just came off of a very bad binge, after eating well for about two weeks . Is there any advice you can give me for detoxing or jump starting my metabolism to get back on track?

Unless you were drinking household cleaning products you shouldn't need to "detox" (I swear that word needs to die on these forums) and trust me, if you had a huge binge you did your metabolism a favor... it's probably on fire right now from all the extra calories.

Just get back to your normal routine and all will be well in a day or two.
  • Recipenut
    Options
    Just forget about it, nothing can be don it's over. Now concentrate on getting back on track and do alot of exercises. No sense of beating yourself up on the past....
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    go kick some as and have a great workout.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I would work on consistently eating up to your calorie goal, and eat back your exercise calories too - MFP would never have given you such a low goal if it didn't intend for you to eat back exercise calories; that's how it works. If you worry about overestimation of exercise calories, then at least eat back a good portion of them. For a lot people who have a tendency to binge, over-restricting calories can be a massive trigger. You don't need to "kick-start" your metabolism, but eating more than you have been doing on a daily basis will help it.
  • jsan5933
    Options
    get back on. drink lots of water and get lots of sleep. i used to binge a lot when i tried to restrict myself to 1200-1400. then i found out that my BMR was 1400 - no wonder i couldn't bloody function and then went NUTS eating 6000 in one go. now i go for 1600-2200 and i never binge and it all evens out!!!