Protein

Options
It seems like everyday, I am eating too much protein. Will this affect my weight loss goals? Why are we keeping track of protein?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    MFP protein level is set WAY too low, I was always over til I changed the proportions manually.

Going over on protein will NOT affect your losses.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No it won`t affect your weight loss. I wondered the same myself until I learned that MFP has the protein intake as 15% as the default. I have usually around 100 - 115 g per day (up to 35%) where as MFP was telling me to take 50 g. You can change these settings if you want by customizing your diary. (My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom)
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the fiber is set way too low as well. We're supposed to aim for 25g a day.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Protein is the building blocks of your muscle tissue. That's why you are tracking it.
    Yeah, the fiber is set way too low as well. We're supposed to aim for 25g a day.
    That varies from person to person.
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi, it is hard to eat too much protein. I can't see your food journal, but what are your daily macro counts (fat, carbs, and protein)? Protein helps to build muscle. When I first signed up for MFP I noticed that they were way underestimating the amount of protein and have heard many others say that as well. Depending on your goals some people eat as must as 1.5 grams per pound of body weight per day, granted that is usually men. I know many women who will eat .5 to 1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day however. It would be hard for you to eat too much protein. That said it is not just a freebie and you can eat as much as you want b/c it is still 4 calories per gram and the other macros (carbs and fat) are essential. I would look at your macros and go from there. Also, at your current ratios, are you hitting your goals?
  • arthuramy
    Options
    I am keeping under my calorie goals. It seems like nearly every day my protein is over and sometimes my carbs are too. I think I will change the settings and see how that works. Thanks for all of your input...I was getting concerned. When you lose weight this way, it just takes time...I was beginning to think maybe it was because of too much protein. Guess I have a lot to learn!