Want to join military... must lose A LOT of weight

Options
I am desperate for help and opinions here. I've decided that I really want to join the military before I get to old to. However, I must weight 130 lbs and i'm right now at 285.. is it even possible to lose enough to get me near the 130 mark? I need everyone's opinions and such on telling me how to do this without giving up. (Just so you know... I was 277 when I first started this and somehow I gained up to 285)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Replies

• Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Be patient...take everything a day at a time if you need to.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would guess it depends on when you are planning on joining - it is possible to lose the weight but it takes time so if you plan on joining in like a year then yes you could but not if you want to join in a few months. Along with eating healthier foods you need exercise - depending on what branch you are joining find out what there physical requirement test is and as you start to lose work towards being able to complete (plus some) the requirements to get in - usually included so many push-ups, sit-ups, a run etc...
    I would suggest Cardio and Weight training to both gain endurance and improve your strength. With weight training you may at some points see slower weight lose as far as numbers but 1 pound of muscle takes up less space on the body then 1 pound of fat so while you watch the scale also take measurements. Good Luck, you can add me if you want.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 130 sounds low...
  • hilarydurst
    hilarydurst Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3".... the Army recruiter told me 130 lbs
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    First, I applaud you for your desire to serve. It's not an easy life.

Per a chart I found, it looks like 141 to me: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blarintweightfemale.htm

Plus, even if you're over, you can always pass by being under on %BF. It's totally doable if you're committed, but it will likely take a good solid 1.5 to 2 years for you to lose all that and be fit enough to make a go at it.

That said, I honestly question whether or not this is the "right" thing for a young mom. You do understand you could be deployed and end up going where your family CANNOT go? Are you prepared to be away from them for months or more? I don't know if you're a single mom, but if so, who would watch your kids if you were deployed? Would you really want to leave them without a mother if something bad happened?

Look, I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you, but some people don't understand what they are getting into. I'm a disabled vet and know all too well what can happen. While I would not change my decision to join the military, it has made MANY things more difficult for me because of what happened. Don't do it just because it sounds cool, or fun, or even to learn a trade...
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    The discipline you'll need for the military will help you lose weight. Honestly if you can't dig your feet in and lose this weight, you would never make it in the military anyways as anything more than a nuisance.

You need to lose 150lbs. You could lose 10lbs a month with a little bit of effort like moderate exercise and rennovating your diet. You could lose that weight in 2 years with constant dedication. What you have to want to do is to really change yourself, it will never work if your heart isn't fully into it, even on the days you fail.

What matters is trying again every day. Every day is a new opportunity.
  • I am desperate for help and opinions here. I've decided that I really want to join the military before I get to old to. However, I must weight 130 lbs and i'm right now at 285.. is it even possible to lose enough to get me near the 130 mark? I need everyone's opinions and such on telling me how to do this without giving up. (Just so you know... I was 277 when I first started this and somehow I gained up to 285)

No one here can tell you how to do it without giving up. The motivation needs to come from within. I think you should start by opening your diary. Set your settings to 2 lb/wk log ALL your food, try to hit your macros and you will lose weight.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? I think it might be a good investment to join one and also make use of a personal trainer every couple of weeks to set you up with a routine and keep you on track. Because to join the military you not only need to lose the weight but also need to be in good physical condition. I wish you luck and even if you end up not joining it will still be a great health benefit to you to drop the weight.
  • hilarydurst
    Options
    macros?
    I am desperate for help and opinions here. I've decided that I really want to join the military before I get to old to. However, I must weight 130 lbs and i'm right now at 285.. is it even possible to lose enough to get me near the 130 mark? I need everyone's opinions and such on telling me how to do this without giving up. (Just so you know... I was 277 when I first started this and somehow I gained up to 285)

No one here can tell you how to do it without giving up. The motivation needs to come from within. I think you should start by opening your diary. Set your settings to 2 lb/wk log ALL your food, try to hit your macros and you will lose weight.
  • hilarydurst
    Options
    I do understand about the deployments and all... my fiance and I have had long talks about this decision. We think I'm doing the right thing and he's ok with it. He's also trying to help me lose the weight. I'm only 29.. cut off for Army and Air Force is 35 so I'm told. Thanks for your input.. appreciate it very much!
    First, I applaud you for your desire to serve. It's not an easy life.

Per a chart I found, it looks like 141 to me: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blarintweightfemale.htm

Plus, even if you're over, you can always pass by being under on %BF. It's totally doable if you're committed, but it will likely take a good solid 1.5 to 2 years for you to lose all that and be fit enough to make a go at it.

That said, I honestly question whether or not this is the "right" thing for a young mom. You do understand you could be deployed and end up going where your family CANNOT go? Are you prepared to be away from them for months or more? I don't know if you're a single mom, but if so, who would watch your kids if you were deployed? Would you really want to leave them without a mother if something bad happened?

Look, I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you, but some people don't understand what they are getting into. I'm a disabled vet and know all too well what can happen. While I would not change my decision to join the military, it has made MANY things more difficult for me because of what happened. Don't do it just because it sounds cool, or fun, or even to learn a trade...
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    macros?

Macros is short for macronutrients (= calories, fats, proteins, carbs, fibre), as opposed to micronutrients (= viamins, minerals - the stuff you get in small amounts from food). You can choose what you track and which macros & micros you see in your food diary.

"hit your macros" means get the figures for calories, protein, carbs & fat to the figures suggested by MFP (or you can customise them if you're following a different plan). And don't worry if your protein and fibre are over & in red - that's good!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Many people can and do lose that amount of weight or more. It takes commitment and time. However, why on earth would you want to join the military?
  • camrunner
    Options
    My weight peaked at over 330. I joined the military at around 180. It's certainly possible, but it does take a while. I lost the weight relatively quickly, but it took much longer to really get into good shape. Of course, the required level of fitness does vary a lot depending on which branch you want to join.
  • hilarydurst
    Options
    Congratulations on loosing all that weight! I wish I could lose it fast but ik it's going to take some time. You can add me as a friend on here if we can motivate each other.
  • hilarydurst
    Options
    :smile:
  • hilarydurst
    Options
    macros?

Macros is short for macronutrients (= calories, fats, proteins, carbs, fibre), as opposed to micronutrients (= viamins, minerals - the stuff you get in small amounts from food). You can choose what you track and which macros & micros you see in your food diary.

"hit your macros" means get the figures for calories, protein, carbs & fat to the figures suggested by MFP (or you can customise them if you're following a different plan). And don't worry if your protein and fibre are over & in red - that's good!

I believe that's how I have it now.. but I'll double check. Ik I have carbs, protein and fat and I'm NEVER in the red at all. I don't even eat all my recommended calories in a day either. Do you count calories? What are your recommended calories that MFP says? Mine are 1700/day... I think that's to many.. am I right or wrong?
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I applaud your desire to join!!! I am an Army brat. My Dad retired after 24 years. We had lots of long separations, including a year he spent in Korea. It was really hard sometimes but I wouldn't change it for the world! I am very proud of my Dad!! I am also married to a Vet. He was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Be aware it is Hell on earth over there but he came home safe and sound. You can do this! If you really have what it takes to be in the military you can lose this weight!! You go girl!!! I'll be praying for you and your family! I am also very proud of my husband!!!! :-)
  • hilarydurst
    Options
    I applaud your desire to join!!! I am an Army brat. My Dad retired after 24 years. We had lots of long separations, including a year he spent in Korea. It was really hard sometimes but I wouldn't change it for the world! I am very proud of my Dad!! I am also married to a Vet. He was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Be aware it is Hell on earth over there but he came home safe and sound. You can do this! If you really have what it takes to be in the military you can lose this weight!! You go girl!!! I'll be praying for you and your family!

Thank you so much to your husband and your father! Also thanks for your applaud. I'm aware of all the consequences and deployments and everything... I've talked to my fiance about this and some of his family along with mine have been in the military. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge that I have before me.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I applaud your desire to join!!! I am an Army brat. My Dad retired after 24 years. We had lots of long separations, including a year he spent in Korea. It was really hard sometimes but I wouldn't change it for the world! I am very proud of my Dad!! I am also married to a Vet. He was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Be aware it is Hell on earth over there but he came home safe and sound. You can do this! If you really have what it takes to be in the military you can lose this weight!! You go girl!!! I'll be praying for you and your family!

Thank you so much to your husband and your father! Also thanks for your applaud. I'm aware of all the consequences and deployments and everything... I've talked to my fiance about this and some of his family along with mine have been in the military. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge that I have before me.

:-) You can do this! Your kids will be proud of you and it is great that you have the support of your man and family! God bless!
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Coming from a woman in the military and standing at 5'3" being navy my max weight is 152 before I have to get taped for BF. what branch are you trying to join and you really need to consider what is going on with the budget before you finally decide about going in. Message me if you want more information.