Want to join military... must lose A LOT of weight

Options

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No reason you can't do it but you're probably looking at a year to get it off safely and it's going to take some major dedication to do it.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    One of my friends joined the army a mere one week before her 41st birthday.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My sister was an Army Recruiter for awhile. My advice woul be to talk to one first. You are very close to aging out as you are already aware.

Both my boys are in NJROTC and are in the 11th grade. They have very intense PT almost everyday.

I would talk to a recruiter and take the ASVAB first. Then decide if you want to possibly do private contracting instead. There is no age limit and if you already have a background that is suitable for development of somewhere like...Iraq or Afgan. then you may find it is much much more lucrative at 29.
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ............... However, why on earth would you want to join the military?
    You join because you love this country. You join to be part of something bigger than yourself. You join because you care and you want clueless people such as you to be able to go about their daily life without ever thinking of what it takes to keep you free.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am sure you can do it. My son lost 160 pounds in just over 1 year. Not for the military though, now he's a fire fighter. When I was in the Army we had a couple big guys and they put them on a program to lose the weight. My nephew just went in the Navy in December. He had to losses 50 pounds. He started last year, 9 months later he's in the Navy. Dedication. If you want it go after it with a passion . You can achieve your goal.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    You join because you love this country. You join to be part of something bigger than yourself. You join because you care and you want clueless people such as you to be able to go about their daily life without ever thinking of what it takes to keep you free.

Agreed. Over the last 39 years I've collected a few regrets. But one thing I'll never regret is the 8 years I spent in the USAF.

I lost 20 lbs to join - obviously not the same magnitude as you - I ate less and ran a few miles every night.
  • ncs7766
    ncs7766 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whether you decide to go in the military or not, losing any amount of weight will be great for disease prevention. If you've been tracking your food for a while with MFP and you've gained, something has to change. I'd start with avoiding counting the calories burned from exercise as an extra amount you can consume for the day. Think of this as burning stored fat. Stick with the amount allowed for losing 1-2# per week. I suspect the range will be between 1200-1600 per day (not below 1200). Then focus on food choices. Stick with less processed foods - sweets, no sweet drinks,.... Sure, you can count them in the calories but they're not that healthy. Focus more on lean protein and produce. Exercise most days with a bit more focus on cardio. And remember, don't give up!
  • tatyajansen
    tatyajansen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't join the military because you're a mother, or young. Also, I'm sure you can do it, it may take a year or so but it sounds like you have that much time. My husband went to basic training with someone who lost 100lbs to join. I'm also thinking of joining the military and I have 95 lbs to lose. Friend me if you like and I'll keep you "pumped up" whatever you choose.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I would start by asking the recruiter if there are any trainers in your town they recommend to help you reach your goals in a healthy manner. If not, find a trainer that specializes in weight loss and can give you nutrition help. I know most recruiters hold PT sessions for people planning on joining the military but I would wait until you build up a reasonable level of fitness.

You should also research the body fat/weight standards for soldiers IN the Army. Sometimes these are different than the standards to join because it is assumed you will lose weight and become more fit in bootcamp. If you don't you will be cycled into a special platoon and be at bootcamp even longer. In the Marines it was called PCP and I don't think it was any fun.

Your number one focus should be losing weight and becoming fit in a healthy way that is sustainable. When I was in the military I saw horrible advice forced on military members and people losing weight in unhealthy ways just to make weight.
  • GrannyBrooks
    Options
    It's going to take a lot of discipline and a lot of hard work !!! I am currently 56 and joined the Army in 1974 three days after I graduated from high school. It was the best decision I ever made. I grew up quickly and when I got out after 7 1/2 years, I used the old "GI" bill to go to college.

Fast forward 38 years later, i am going through menopause and find myself 50+ pounds overweight ...

This application is the greatest. NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING goes into my mouth without posting to my food log. If it's Coffeemate in my coffee, it gets posted. I take my IPAD everywhere I go. It allows me to constantly check my remaining calories. To me, the best feature is closing out the day. It allows you to project what your weight will be in 5 weeks if you eat every day like the current day's intake ... A great motivator on good days and an even better motivator when you go over you calorie count as it lets you see how many pounds you can quickly gain.

I have lost 11 pounds in the first month. My first thought before I eat something that i shouldn't "is it really worth a 5-10 minute quick rush" to have my jeans cutting into my waist.

BEST OF LUCK AND STICK WITH IT !! Trust me, it's easier to get under control when you are younger.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Ahh. Well, my question was based on her age and time that will be necessary in order to meet requirements. Thanks for the clueless comment though, soldja.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Well, my question was based on her age and time that will be necessary in order to meet requirements.

The OP is 29 - she has 6 years without needing a waiver for the Army. That's totally possible.

Would you ask, " Why on earth would you want to go to college?" to a 29 year old who was considering it?

Most of the "old" people I met in basic and tech school actually did really well in the service. They had more experience at life (adult relationships, responsible alcohol use, etc.) than a lot of us 18 year olds and that served them well.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    The OP has a dream. She is young enough, and if she can meet the physical requirements, I say go for it. Plenty of Moms are serving our country proud. God bless them.
  • SJ46
    Options
    Well, my question was based on her age and time that will be necessary in order to meet requirements.

The OP is 29 - she has 6 years without needing a waiver for the Army. That's totally possible.

Would you ask, " Why on earth would you want to go to college?" to a 29 year old who was considering it?

Most of the "old" people I met in basic and tech school actually did really well in the service. They had more experience at life (adult relationships, responsible alcohol use, etc.) than a lot of us 18 year olds and that served them well.

This, exactly.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hello there! My husband is an Army recruiter.

First of all, ask your recruiter if they have a PT session you can start attending. Most recruiting stations do, and it'll get you started on the way the military works. They may ask you to lose a little of the weight first - every station has a different idea of when to let potential soldiers in - but it'll show them you're dedicated, which never hurts.

As people before have said, it's going to take something like a year to drop the weight you need safely. My advice is to start walking, and work your way up to running, because the military LOVES to make people run. :P Your recruiter can also give you a list of exercise requirements - may as well start working on them now, right? If they're anything like what my husband has to do, there will be situps, pushups, and running.

Good luck, and just think positive!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think you can absolutely get there - but make sure you do it safely!

I had to lose weight before I joined the army, too. I managed that through diet, but what I really wished I'd done was work on being able to do push ups, sit ups and running 2 miles. That certainly wasn't the only exercising we did, but that's what you're tested on.
  • WhaddupItsLaura
    Options
    Just eat with moderate proportions. It's hard at first, but it get's a lot easier as you go! Just keep running and the lbs should just drop. :)
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    im also looking to join the military (army in my case). i also needed to, and now have lost the weight and am currently in the process of joining. would love to help motivate you :)
  • SJ46
    Options
    im also looking to join the military (army in my case). i also needed to, and now have lost the weight and am currently in the process of joining. would love to help motivate you :)

Congratulations to ya! :)