Any successful loss in body fat those aged 35-45?

Options
2»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I want to start progressing more quickly with the fat loss but not sure if age is against me out if I should be making further changes to what I'm eating like reducing my calories or starting to add supplements to get to where I want to be.

I agree, age does work against us, but the science of weight loss is pretty set. Two thing you can do to lose weight faster - exercise more or eat less. The bigger the calorie deficit, the faster the weight loss. See what adjustments you can make and maintain to create more deficit while still feeling energetic and confident you can continue to reach your goal.

That said, realistically, the one thing we ALL struggle with is patience with the science of it. I know I see a pound come off over 5 - 7 days and I immediately want to make it 2 or 3. BUT...that really isn't the best plan, or realistic in many cases. The old saw is true in this case, that slow and steady wins the race.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Just looked at other comments and figured I should say I'm not one for shakes or supplements personally, but there are some good suggestions I see for adding more strength training. Which creates a higher BMR as more fit muscles generally require more calories to rebuild and maintain.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I'm saving this to read later! :wink:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Ketosis and regular exercise has me speeding right along with this last bit. It's supposed to be a nightmare, but I think I've hit my stride because now I'm not too fat to do a fairly intense workout. And the keto keeps me from eating everything in the house after my workout!
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    46 here. I've been doing reasonably well with the calorie counting part of MFP, just over a stone in 3 months, low effort - I have a totally sedentary lifestyle if I don't exercise deliberately, or go shopping or to work, so in a way that has helped.

I wonder if you're trying to be a bit too ambitious with the speed of your weight loss and you should aim for 2lb a week, take your calories up a bit. Maybe try it for a month.

Me and a friend tried a strict weight-loss diet (basically 15 portions of fruit and veg a day, no kidding, fat burner foods by Caroline Shreeve). She exercised for an hour every day and hardly lost anything - I lost a stone in a month. She was also 10 years younger than me so should have found it easier, but I think all the exercise was actually making her body hold on to any calories it could.
  • mumx5
    mumx5 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :smile:
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Alot of the suggestions on here about high protein and low carbs are great advice. I started changing my lifestyle after getting a warning about blood pressure a year ago and have lost 93lbs(I log on here to maintain now)....which went from a body fat% of 37.5 to 24% now. In the beginning I only did huge amounts of cardio and then lost the weight and added in the gym for the past 4 months to gain strength and to tone things up. I did have to turn to a trainer recently along with abs and arms classes to target specific areas that I did not have success with though. I am 35 and I have found that using the Bob Harper Inside Out Method DVD set has given me good muscle definition over the past few weeks as well. Good luck and keep doing what you're doing and you will get results.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You seem to be on the right track with your program. I'm 46 and I've found that I've needed to lower my carbs significantly. I've been as low as 10% or roughly 38 grams from whole foods and strive for about 150 grams of protein (protein shakes, egg, tuna, salmon, chicken, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, flaxmeal, chai seeds, you name it I'm always on the hunt). With only a pound to goal I've been increasing my carb intake slowly to try and figure out what my body will tolerate. Also since Nov. I've been strength training 3x per week and its amazing how it has transformed my body. I'm completely hooked. On the 3 days I don't lift I typically run 3 miles or so. Sundays I rest and allow myself to eat whatever I want (no more than 2000 calories). Patience is the next variable. Give your body time to respond than make the necessary adjustments.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If so how did you do it? I am currently 38 years old, 145lbs with around 31% fat and want to get to 20% or below. I'm eating just above my BMR at 1500 cals net most days and working out 6 days a week doing a combination of cardio and weights burning off 350-650 through exercise.

I am trying to eat below 100g carbs most days although sometimes its a little higher and at least 120-140g protein but after 5 weeks on MFP not seeing significant results. I used to work out 2-3 days a week doing mainly just cardio before joining MFP and I ate less protein.

I want to start progressing more quickly with the fat loss but not sure if age is against me out if I should be making further changes to what I'm eating like reducing my calories or starting to add supplements to get to where I want to be. At the moment I use protein shakes to try and increase protein intake but I can't afford more than 1 per day and seem to be struggling to eat all the protein I need (goal set to 35%). Most of my carbs are from wholegrains and veggies.

Any tips or success stories will be much appreciated.

I started at 197 and 48% BF. I am now 42 years old, 125lbs and 23% BF. All I can say is you need to eat more and lift heavy. If you are working out 6 days a week you should be eating at a higher acitivty level TDEE (unless you are eating back your exercise calories? I am not clear on that). I am still working on lowering bf% with heavy lifting by eating at my designated TDEE and lifting 3 days a week. I eat what I want but do reach for a 120g target of protein each day (especially workout days).
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and have 8 children. My youngest is 16 months old. I work out 6 days a week for between 30 minutes and 2 hours. I try to eat clean but everyone has off days. I think protein and fiber are very important. I limit my carbs to before 3pm. There have been a lot of good suggestions on here so far. Remember that each of our bodies react differently so try different things (give each time to work before moving on though) and see what works for your body and your lifestyle.

beforeandafter.jpg
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm 41 and started off last year at 35% body fat. this year i'm about 29% (yay i'm no longer obese, just plain old fat :laugh: )

my main workouts involve strength training, mainly things like strong lifts 5*5 and starting strength where the emphasis on compound lifts and continually increasing your weights. you definitely want to add in a proper strength training program like this because it will help you save as much lean body mass as possible while you lose. keep in mind that when you get older, your body loses muscle mass anyway, there's no reason to help that out .

i never really worried about carbs, i just try to make sure to make my protein goals. i'm also not eating too far below my TDEE and definitely no where near my BMR
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Am 53 and if I used the calipers correctly went from 23.4% BF to 15.9% in these pics. Looking at the chart I use if I was 20 this old body would be at 8.5%BF - weird eh!

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1052743.jpg
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You're all amazing! Congratulations on your successes. I'm inspired.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i'm 38, went from 19% to 16% cutting carbs and alcohol, also went paleo...which is not for everyone, which is no grains, no sugar, no dairy
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I only recently did my fat % thing, having never done it before - I am 24.6% which surprised me immensely as my BMI still has me sitting in the 'obese' category!
    Unfortunately I don't have a comparable BF from a year ago when I began MFP - in hindsight I wish I'd done it (& taken photos).
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    No I haven't taken any 'before' photos either because I couldn't face it. I know I don't look so terrible but I just hate seeing myself in photos right now. I am looking forward to taking lots of 'after' photos though but at the moment not sure when that will be!