Effort to burn 500 calories 60 min

Options

Replies

• FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I seem to average 400 calories per hour burn - some things are greater (eg. boxing, but I couldn't do this for a whole hour - lack of stamina and boredom hit me!) and others less. I reckon I could work a bit harder now though!
  • SmudgerSJA
    Options
    I am also struggling in this area to be honest. As I have limited time I thought I would purchase a few of the post christmas DVD's which are high intensity interval training based. After 3 weeks of doing at least 2 sections of these DVD's I was seeing no weight loss. When I went to the gym this week I started tracking my heart rate on the treadmill with the calories and found in 60 minutes I was hot and sweaty and felt worked out and the HRM matched the calorie content to the treadmill. So this week I did one of my DVD's which promise 20 minutes of high intensity interval training equates to at least an hour in the gym and states you are burning a huge amount of calories. 20 minutes in I had burnt 125 cals and after 2 sections only 250!! I was very disappointed as was hot and sweaty and thought I had been really burning some calories. I feel the product doesn't do what it says on the tin so to speak. Looks like the only way to lose weight for me is a long run or gym session but something to be mindful of for you guys as it appears we are all different and what works for someone else wont necessarily for you!
  • Cherry_star
    Cherry_star Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I spend an hour on the treadmill. A gentle run at 7.5 kmph for 30 minutes, 10 minutes at intervals doing 1 minute sprints and the rest is walking. I burn over 500 calories in this hour, probably at an overall effort of 8. I've gone from no exercise in years to joining a gym last November and learning to run for the last month. I then do weights afterwards. Not particularly sweaty by the end of it, but definitely getting more so as I'm running faster for longer!
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i can get a 350 burn on the elliptical for a half an hour. i have tested this on my own elliptical and 3 different models at the gym. i have to set it on a fat burn/ weight loss mode with high resistance and cross ramps. but it is possible for me. but i am also 235 and only at this for a month. i may not get a high calorie burn with a treadmill or stationary bike. but i toss it up everyday so i dont get bored.

i exercise now because i enjoy it. i really dont care about the calorie burned to tell you the truth. i dont eat back my exercise calories. i just keep a mental note of how much time im putting into it. kinda like its a job. hour of my choice of cardio a day and every other day i add weight training. right now i dont want to stress over the calories. just reward myself for the fact that im off my butt and enjoying what i am doing. last year, i would have never thought i would be at the gym everyday.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Well look. Someone has already posted what I would have said.

I would add that doing cardio is perfectly fine, but you'll be more productive if you set time or distance goals, instead of arbitrary calorie goals. Much more functional that way.

A calorie goal is, in essence, a time or distance goal. Not sure how you are differentiating them.

If I say I want to run 5 miles today, I'm not setting a calorie goal. Whatever the calories are, they are. If I say I want to run 5 miles in 40 mins, I'm not setting a calorie goal, whatever the calories are, they are. If I say I'm going to increase my squat by 25 lbs by the end of March, I'm not setting a calorie goal, whatever they are, they are.

In each of these cases, I'm setting a tangible goal that won't just burn calories, it'll make me better at.....whatever it is that I'm trying to be better at. Set the goal, and the calories will come as they may. If I set calories burned goals, I'd end up doing an extra 12:46 on the elliptical even if I hated it, so I could hit some arbitrary, round number. (How come nobody ever sets a goal of 518 cals, or 926 cals?). If I set calories burned goals, I may choose to not waste my time deadlifting and squatting because the burn rates suck.

It might seem a slim difference, but it's a difference. Many high level athletes have the bodies we want. None of them train with a calories burned goal in mind. They all train for their sport, and in trying to improve they end up with outstanding physiques.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I would add that doing cardio is perfectly fine, but you'll be more productive if you set time or distance goals, instead of arbitrary calorie goals. Much more functional that way.

A calorie goal is, in essence, a time or distance goal. Not sure how you are differentiating them.

If I say I want to run 5 miles today, I'm not setting a calorie goal. Whatever the calories are, they are. If I say I want to run 5 miles in 40 mins, I'm not setting a calorie goal, whatever the calories are, they are. If I say I'm going to increase my squat by 25 lbs by the end of March, I'm not setting a calorie goal, whatever they are, they are.

In each of these cases, I'm setting a tangible goal that won't just burn calories, it'll make me better at.....whatever it is that I'm trying to be better at. Set the goal, and the calories will come as they may. If I set calories burned goals, I'd end up doing an extra 12:46 on the elliptical even if I hated it, so I could hit some arbitrary, round number. (How come nobody ever sets a goal of 518 cals, or 926 cals?). If I set calories burned goals, I may choose to not waste my time deadlifting and squatting because the burn rates suck.

It might seem a slim difference, but it's a difference. Many high level athletes have the bodies we want. None of them train with a calories burned goal in mind. They all train for their sport, and in trying to improve they end up with outstanding physiques.

Distance is an artificial construct that we assign to a workout to make it more meaningful. The body only knows it has been exercising for x number of minutes at y intensity. Distance is just a mental picture we invent to give meaning to our workouts, so I disagree with the idea that one invented reality (distance) is more significant than any other.

There is no difference between setting a goal of running 5 miles in 40 minutes or setting a goal of, say, burning 670 calories on a cross trainer in 40 minutes. Or in trying to set a record for how quickly one can burn 1000 calories on a treadmill.

Given that there are specific recommendations from national health and professional organizations on weekly calorie expenditures, there is a case to be made for setting calorie-specific goals, especially on days where you might not quite be at your best, but still want to achieve something meaningful.

As always, having said that, we need to agree on terms. When I refer to using calories as a goal, I am primarily referring to machine calorie readings, not HRM readings. As you know, I have a generally low opinion of HRMs as calorie counters anyhow, and in this case they are particularly useless.

But machine calories, even if they are not accurate, are based on the actual workload being performed. As such, they represent a quantifiable measure of total aerobic work performed. Machine calories are actually one of the best ways to measure fitness progress. Machine calories can also help compare different types of workouts--running on the flat vs a random hill program, or different combinations of speed and resistance on a cross trainer, for example.

Just a different perspective.
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I to have a treadmill incline at 15 and speed at 3 mph to burn over 500 cals walking and watching youtube videos. i rate a 6.5.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i have to be in the zone for 45m to burn 500 calories, proper wet hair & sweaty knees lol
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Distance is an artificial construct that we assign to a workout to make it more meaningful. The body only knows it has been exercising for x number of minutes at y intensity. Distance is just a mental picture we invent to give meaning to our workouts, so I disagree with the idea that one invented reality (distance) is more significant than any other.

There is no difference between setting a goal of running 5 miles in 40 minutes or setting a goal of, say, burning 670 calories on a cross trainer in 40 minutes. Or in trying to set a record for how quickly one can burn 1000 calories on a treadmill.

Given that there are specific recommendations from national health and professional organizations on weekly calorie expenditures, there is a case to be made for setting calorie-specific goals, especially on days where you might not quite be at your best, but still want to achieve something meaningful.

As always, having said that, we need to agree on terms. When I refer to using calories as a goal, I am primarily referring to machine calorie readings, not HRM readings. As you know, I have a generally low opinion of HRMs as calorie counters anyhow, and in this case they are particularly useless.

But machine calories, even if they are not accurate, are based on the actual workload being performed. As such, they represent a quantifiable measure of total aerobic work performed. Machine calories are actually one of the best ways to measure fitness progress. Machine calories can also help compare different types of workouts--running on the flat vs a random hill program, or different combinations of speed and resistance on a cross trainer, for example.

Distance isn't an "artificial construct that we assign to a workout to make it more meaningful". For many, distance is the actual distance traveled... running, walking, cycling, swimming...

When I strap on my Garmin and run 10 miles in 90 minutes the calories burned do in fact represent the actual workload being performed. The machine is pre-set with my age, gender, height, weight, athlete profile, resting HR, max HR and the GPS tracks how far I went and elevation changes during that time. The calories burned is an important metric to ensure I take in enough fuel to recoup from my workout.

If a machine also has input for weight and uses a HRM, I'll consider its numbers valid. Without them, however, it's a generalized profile being used and certainly not accurate unless you are the perfect average human specimen.
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options
    mrsbigmack, I second that regarding accuracy without some form of physiological monitoring. Workout machine estimates are helpful, yet they absolutely are providing a best guess and nothing more. Even with your input weight and age, it's still a big guess. Just one of many possible points to help illustrate this further. Some runners are much more mechanically efficient than others with all things otherwise being equal (weight, height, age, gender, leg length, etc.) While the workout machine or generic formula would provide the exact same calorie burn for both, the reality is that actual calorie burn could be way different (10%, 20%, or even more). A heart rate monitor or device like BodyMedia certainly makes it more more accurate on average. Therefore, when strictly talking about trying to get an accurate calorie burn (whether you target calories, time, distance, or some combination), using a monitor helps a lot.

As Azdak points out, you can use the machines/formulas for a relative reference (to yourself) of workload/expenditure even if it's not perfectly accurate. It's still quite helpful in that respect.

And a little further up the thread, I do like how DavPul talks about performance goals over calorie goals, "Whatever the calories are, they are." I do the same during workouts. Now I do track calories, but it has little to do with hitting a burn goal, so I won't digress. As for weight loss or maintenance, since that's probably why most care to discuss calories in this thread, a calorie burn figure mostly only matter when it is used to calculate calorie deficit. You will lose as much weight in as many days sitting on the couch (even eating chips) as you will running to burn 1000 calories per day so long as your net calorie deficit is the same. Yes, I'm excluding any discussion on health benefits, long-term behavioral benefits, what works better for any individual preference, and the like.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    I don't workout in an effort to hit a calories burned number. It's an extremely inefficient way to plan exercise. And when you combine it with the mfp plan of eating your calories back to net zero, you're putting yourself on a hamster wheel for no reason at all

Truth.
    Please explain the better way.

By simply eating at a deficit to whatever activity you do. MFP will set your calorie target so you have a caloric deficit and will lose weight even without exercise. Rather than kill yourself with cardio (remember, MFP will add those calories for you to eat back since you already have a built-in deficit), most people who have been here for some time will tell you to eat at a modest deficit and lift heavy weights. The strain on your body of lifting heavy weights will at the very least allow you to retain lean muscle mass during a deficit and, if you have high days i.e. over maintenance/free days/binge days etc. your body will use those days to build muscle tissue if you're lifting. The more muscle mass you can build, the more calories you'll burn just doing nothing. Cardio is, in essence, inconsequential.

I'm a runner and I love to compete... so I run anyway. But weight loss is certainly harder when you add mass amounts of endurance cardio to your life. It's easier to just eat less.

A calorie goal is, in essence, a time or distance goal. Not sure how you are differentiatingthem.

I agree...Whether someone shoots for an increase of 10 calories burned each workout in the same amount of time..If someone shoots for an extra 10th of a mile in each workout..The increase in distance will more then likely increase your calories burned over the long haul..
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I routinely burn 400 to 500 calories on the elliptical at about a 7 or 8. I'd have to be at a 10 with my heart getting ready to beat out of my chest in order to burn much more. I'm. Always amazed when I read about someone who burns 700 or 900 calories in 1 hour! But, then again, I'm relatively small at 5 foot 3 inches - so someone larger could probably burn much more.
  • Azdak
    Options

Distance isn't an "artificial construct that we assign to a workout to make it more meaningful". For many, distance is the actual distance traveled... running, walking, cycling, swimming...

When I strap on my Garmin and run 10 miles in 90 minutes the calories burned do in fact represent the actual workload being performed. The machine is pre-set with my age, gender, height, weight, athlete profile, resting HR, max HR and the GPS tracks how far I went and elevation changes during that time. The calories burned is an important metric to ensure I take in enough fuel to recoup from my workout.

If a machine also has input for weight and uses a HRM, I'll consider its numbers valid. Without them, however, it's a generalized profile being used and certainly not accurate unless you are the perfect average human specimen.

Your body knows intensity and duration--it doesn't know distance. If two people of different fitness abilities run at a 70% effort for 1 hour, the effect on their bodies is the same, regardless of whether the less fit one ran 6 miles and the more fit one ran 10 miles. It is the running at 70% effort for 60 min that has the effect--not the distance traveled. You could do the same workout on a treadmill and cover no actual distance---or the treadmill could be miscalibrated so that the "distance" is a completely fabricated number -- still no difference as long as intensity and duration are the same. So, yes, distance is an artificial frame that humans apply to a workout to give it meaning for us. It has no other significance.

The calories on your Garmin MAY reflect the calories expended. And they may not. If you have your actual max HR (not a calculated one) and if you have actual, laboratory-measured VO2 max programmed into it, then it is likely that a top-level Garmin will provide a more accurate calorie reading that another type of HRM. I am not exactly sure if the Garmin uses the GPS distance and elevation in its calculations, but that could work pretty well also. However, there are limits in using any HRM calorie count as a measure of total aerobic work the way I described. There are a number of non-metabolic factors--illness, fatigue, anxiety, thermal stress, cardiovascular drift--that can affect heart rate and, thus, HRM calorie count numbers. If you have a higher-level Garmin, then there is a good chance some of this is accounted for -- at least the people from First Beat claim it is--but it's still not going to be precise in the way that I am describing.

I am not really arguing the properties of Garmin HRMs and am not really sure why you brought that up. I am disagreeing with DavPaul's assertion that distance is always more significant than total calories and that total calories burned is not a legitimate workout goal. (And the "disagreement" is totally for entertainment purposes only, since I know he can have fun with it).

I also wanted to point out that machine calorie totals can serve a useful purpose, regardless of whether or not the actual numbers are accurate. Cardio machines base their calorie estimates on measurements of actual workloads. With the use of microprocessors, the workloads can be measured consistently and relatively accurately. Therefore, the calorie count on a machine will be a consistent measurement of total aerobic work performed during an exercise session. Compared to the actual calories one burned, the calorie counts become inaccurate because the equations used to translate the measured workload into estimated calories are inaccurate. However that "inaccuracy' is a constant, so the differences in calorie counts from one workout to the next represent real differences in total aerobic work performed.

This can be a useful tool if someone is trying to compare different workouts with varying workloads--e.g. a "random hill" selection on a treadmill, or random resistance setting on a cross trainer, or a workout in which the user manually changes speeds, elevations, and resistance levels. If I do 320 calories on a cross trainer in 30 min, and 1 week later am able to do 350, that's a real increase in total work performed in 30 min--regardless of whether it is actually 350 calories or not. Without using that number, there would be not other way to track that type of progress. Average heart rate can't be used, neither can the calorie count on an HRM. Distance can't be used because one might pedal more quickly at a lower resistance one day and more slowly at a higher resistance the other.

Again, the actual numbers are of secondary importance. It doesn't make any difference whether the calorie numbers are accurate--as long as actual workload is being measured, the differences in machine total calorie numbers will represent actual changes in total aerobic work performed -- in ways that HRMs cannot --and thus can be used to chart relative progress.
  • MellyMel340
    MellyMel340 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You can't compare what someone else calorie burn rate is to yours, you're just setting yourself up. Focus on doing your best at every workout session. You will lose weight as long as you"re burning more than you take in per week. try walking on a treadmill at 15 incline at 3.0~3.5 mph for 60 minutes without holding on to the bars if your looking for a challenge.
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options
    Azdak, I just commented on your earlier post about relative reference to yourself based on the use of machines/formulas to measure calorie burn/effort. The further detail you just added is very good, and I agree when using it as a relative measure in the way described. I don't even think this entertaining disagreement ;-) between the differing views is necessarily mutually exclusive. Like I just said, I agree with your this last detailed comment, and I think it will be very helpful for many, yet I still focus almost entirely on other performance metrics because of what my objectives are. I want to run a certain distance nonstop at a certain speed regardless of the calorie burn, I want to do HIIT runs making increases over time to slow and fast speeds and fast intervals regardless of the calorie burn, and I want to work out near max HR for certain amounts of time regardless of calorie burn. Nevertheless, the two ways of looking at it do correlate to some extent even if one is better suited for particular individual for a particular goal.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I burnt 523 earlier in a 40minute run which was a big effort for all of that time. I wasn't that sweaty but that's because it was really cold out! That is based on HRM but my real achievement was running the full 40mins and running a mile further than my previous best.
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    500 in 60 mins i would be a 4, maybe a 5
  • djalessi
    Options
    Increase your intensity with intervals and higher intensity circuit training. Look into kettlebells. I've been using them for 5+ years now. I can easily burn (I monitor with a HR monitor) 400 calories in 25 minutes.

Too many on this board are wasting time doing long aerobic exercises. Stop wasting life on a treadmill. Get some of it back by picking up the pace and adding weighted exercises at a faster tempo. Better for you and you'll have more time for yourself.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Increase your intensity with intervals and higher intensity circuit training. Look into kettlebells. I've been using them for 5+ years now. I can easily burn (I monitor with a HR monitor) 400 calories in 25 minutes.

Too many on this board are wasting time doing long aerobic exercises. Stop wasting life on a treadmill. Get some of it back by picking up the pace and adding weighted exercises at a faster tempo. Better for you and you'll have more time for yourself.

If you are using an HRM with kettlebell swings, the HRM is overestimating your calories by 20%-30%. The reason is that the HR response is exaggerated during kettlebell swings, so HR increase is greater than the increase in VO2. A research paper showed that, during 20 min of kettlebell swings, HR reached 85+ percent of HR reserve, but VO2 was only 60%-65% (during aerobic exercise, VO2 would be 75%-80% at that HR.)

Arbitrarily dismissing endurance exercise as a "waste of time" represents a shallow view of working out. There are a number of ways in which endurance exercise can not only promote weight loss and fitness, but it can also enhance one's ability to perform HIIT training as well. And then there is higher-intensity steady-state training, which might be better than both of them. HIIT training can provide excellent benefits but, in the long term, a balanced program is going to work better for more people.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    spin class yes; walking . . . doubtful.

The HR would vary greatly; depends on the size/weight and fitness of the individual.